1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple outed by principal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Étoile

I got this from another forum and I was shocked:

"(Memphis, Tennessee) A public high school principal who posted the names of two boys on a list of students believed to be couples, revealing their relationship to their parents as well as other students and teachers, violated the students’ constitutional right to freedom of association, the American Civil Liberties Union charged Tuesday.

In a letter to school board officials in Memphis, the ACLU demanded that the school reprimand the principal and take steps to ensure such actions never happen again.

In September of 2007, the principal at Hollis F. Price Middle College High told teachers she wanted the names of all student couples, “hetero and homo,” because she wanted to monitor them personally to prevent students from engaging in public displays of affection.

The two students now represented by the ACLU, Andrew and Nicholas (who have asked that their last names not be revealed), were two A students who had been seeing each other for a short time and were attempting to keep their relationship quiet and private.

The principal heard about them through another student, then wrote their names on a list she posted next to her desk, in full view of anyone who entered her office.

One of the boys’ mothers personally witnessed the list when she met with the principal a few days later.

“I couldn’t believe it when I went to meet with the principal and that list was right there by her desk where anyone could see it,” said Andrea, Andrew’s mother.

“African American people face enough obstacles to succeeding in this world and I want my son to have every opportunity he’s worked so hard for. Our schools should be helping our children do well, not tearing them down for something like this.”

Although the boys had never been observed by any school staff engaging in any sort of display of affection, the principal called Nicholas’s mother Nichole.

According to Nichole, the principal said things like “Did you know your son is gay?” repeatedly and went on to say that she didn’t like gay people and wouldn’t tolerate homosexuality at her school.

Both students say they’ve had to deal with verbal harassment from both teachers and students since word got out around the school about their principal’s actions.

According to Nicholas, he also suffered another consequence of the principal’s discrimination. He had submitted extensive paperwork and several recommendations from teachers for a school trip to New Orleans to assist in rebuilding efforts.

Having a long history of community service, he was considered a shoo-in to be selected to go before the incident, but then a teacher told Nicholas some faculty were afraid he might “embarrass the school” or engage in “inappropriate behavior.”

A few days later, another student who hadn’t even applied to go on the trip was selected in his place.

“We never bothered anyone or did a single thing at school that broke any of the rules,” said Nicholas, a junior and honor student. “Every day I feel like they’re still punishing me, and I’m worried that this is going to hurt my chances to get into a good college.”

“The principal’s outing of these two students to their families, classmates, and teachers is unacceptable. Its only purpose was to intimidate not only these students but all gay students at Hollis Price,” said Hedy Weinberg, Executive Director at the ACLU of Tennessee.

“Educators should be focused on educating their students and not on harassing them because of their sexual orientation or the people with whom they associate.”

School officials have already confirmed the existence of the list to the ACLU in prior meetings held in an attempt to resolve the matter privately the union said.

In Tuesday’s letter to the Memphis City Schools Board of Commissioners, the ACLU points out that the principal ordered the boys not to even walk or study together at school.

“This is a public high school that runs on taxpayer dollars. As such, it is part of the government and must obey the Constitution in dealing with the students entrusted to its care each day,” said Bruce Kramer, a partner at Borod and Kramer in Memphis who also is working on the case.

“This school has no business singling these boys out and taking away educational opportunities against them simply because they were dating."

WTF! I can't believe that twat of a principal!:tantrum: They was extremely unprofessional of the principal and teachers to harass the couple. What shows the principal's stupidity is that she added the couple on the list because of hearsay. She had absolutely no proof that they were gay! If this was a heterosexual couple, this would have never happened.

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG what a horrible principal!!! That sort of behaviour is outrageous!!!

3. panda

Unbelievable !! It's so sad/pathetic that minds like this are in charge of educating anyone.

4. Brandford

Thats Horrible!!!, People like that should have anykind of job that has authority, especially a Principal

5. interstella

*pukes* I just can't believe she could do such a thing! as synedoche boy said, she wouldn't have done that to a hetero couple...

6. jazzrawr

I can't believe that!!!! thats insane, what a stupid principal...I would hate for that to happen to me, i feel so bad for them. that principal shouldnt even be allowed to teach.

7. musicgirl112233

8. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What an ass of a principal...

Seriously violated rights there. :icon_sad:

9. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Thats just messed up

10. Hepcat

How awful, I can't believe a principal would do such things. It seems so totally pathetic. Ugh, I just don't know what to say. :icon_sad:

11. Emile

Emile Guest

Oh my god... that's so horrible =O

12. crimsonarcher

horrible!
    do you know whatever happened to the pricncipal?
    (like, i don't know, get fired?)

13. Étoile

No, I don't think the principal got fired. There are so many things for an admidistrator to focus on, instead of who's dating who in high school. I mean, isn't this invasion of the students' privacy, even if they have a supposedly good reason behind it? PDA in her school couldn't have been that bad to have to list every single couple in her high school. Besides, she would have an incredibly hard time keeping up with all the relationships; high school couples come and go like fads. I think this was just another way for admidistrators to pry into the lives of their students. If I was one of the guys' parent, I'd sue.

14. Micah

That's so disheartening. :frowning2:

15. Jonnnnn16

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  16. AlmightyFluffy

Holy harrassment charges batman! As awful and disturbing as this story is, atleast we can be assured that there is no way this person's getting away without a punishment.

17. ampthejazz

That's so terrible! Such bullshit.

18. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok in the first place why the hell would be want to "moniter" realationshipsm, then WTF putting it on his desk, I hope the ACLU skins him alive

19. rocking23

I read about that!
    I was so shocked!

I would get a CRACK TEAM OF LAWYERS and slap a lawsuit on the principle AND the school board (lol) (Crack team of lawyers...lol)

20. Rahata

WOW... that's disturbing... I mean we're suppose to be able to freely choose what we want in life. No one can choose that for us. What gives a principal right to do that considering she doesn't even lecture the kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.