1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An open letter to my dad, not sure when I'll send it.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jul 18, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear Dad,

Through the course of one's life, a person has to decide which people he or she wants to keep in his life and those who add no value. I'm sure you've gone through this process many times, and so have I. But before I go any further, I have to say a few things.

1. You're very rude and disrespectful to everyone around you, and you come home from work and take your frustrations out on us. I am disgusted at the way you treat your own mother.

2. You have a low opinion of women. I don't think you realize when you tell waitresses and cashiers that they have a nice ass or a nice rack, that they're offended by that and so am I. You treat Mom like a piece of furniture, just an object you take for granted.

3. You have a strange problem with being wrong. I don't get why, but nobody can ever tell you you're wrong and survive.

4. You can't take it when people treat you the way you treat them. If I talked to you like you do me, you would probably cave my head in.

5. You have a very short fuse and your temper is an atomic bomb. Need I say more?

6. You're the most condescending person I've ever met. You never fail to talk to me like I'm retarded, and you always find a way to insult me.

7. You act just like (my brother). You're almost bipolar, one moment you're fine, and the next you're throwing a fit, just like a child does and are swearing up a storm. And it happens both in public and at home.

8. You were emotionally abusive to me, mom, and (my brother). I'm still dealing with that.

9. You did absolutely nothing when you learned your own son was molested under your roof.

10. You don't realize that you're guilty of any of these things.

So for the above reasons, I am cutting you out of my life and disowning you. I am changing my phone number, I will delete all your emails and any letters you send me are going straight in the trash. Goodbye.

Sincerely,

AwesomGaytheist

2. AlamoCity

I am not in a position to advise you on this because I have never been in this situation. To me, this letter might sound a bit harsh; however, I don't know exactly how your particular situation was. As the letter stands, if your father truly acted like this (I don't doubt it), I would probably send a similarly typed letter to my father. All I suggest is that your life is in order so that you are ready to cut yourself off from your father and to ensure that the people in your family who you care most about know about this letter beforehand, perhaps to ensure that they brace themselves for when he receives it.

I just hope the best for you.

P.S. Don't send a letter when you're angry. Send the letter when you are calm, collected, and sure. Being emotional when you send something like this is probably not the best state to be in. Although to be honest, I would personally love to send this letter to my dad, if he was like this, when I was most angry at him as revenge and retaliation. Let us know what you decide to do.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to send it for a few years. My parents are taking a loan out on their house to pay for my college, so I'm going to let them do that first. I do hope things get better, but I don't think they will.

4. AlamoCity

I guess this is a very hard situation because your parents are paying for college. I really hope things get better.

5. KhanSaheb

I applaud you.

Unfortunately, as I've said in a different thread, my father was very much like yours appears to be. I did send a similar letter to my father and I never regretted it. I still don't.

You got some really good advice in one of those posts above this. I want to repeat that: Don't send it when you're in an emotional state. Send it when the time is absolutely right. You will know when that time comes.

I wish I could hug you.

(*hug*)

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hugging you back, Khan