1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apologies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Hexagon

How do you approach apologies? In these situations:

-When you apologise for something you did
    -When someone apologises to you for something they did
    -When someone apologises to you for something someone else did or for an event outside of their control

Me: I apologise easily, and probably too much, if it was something I did accidentally or without thinking about the consequences. I don't really take someone's acceptance of my apology at face value, so I feel like I still haven't expressed my regrets well enough. But I'm rarely actually sorry, if that makes sense. I just don't like hurting people.

When someone apologises for something they did, I forgive easily enough, if I want them in my life. If I don't, I just say 'whatever' and leave it at that.

If they apologise for something out of their control, I tell them "Well it wasn't your fault", which they don't seem to like much. But I don't like sympathy much.

What about you guys?

2. Minx

If I feel I'm in the wrong or if I can't argue full force. (Public setting with security/police nearby, school, library or any location with strict conflict rules.) I'll apologize easily enough. If an altercation isn't my fault then it's damn near impossible for me to budge even if a mutual peace offering will just end everything.

I forgive strangers probably a lot more than I do those close to me, Because I hold those I deem worthy enough to care about to higher standards.

I sympathize with the person trying to ease the situation but it won't change my stance whatsoever.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I haven't been in an " Apology " situation before :lol: apart from minor ones.

4. MerBear

I dont like apologizing...at least not in person...well....actually, i just dont like apologizing to people in my family because they dont deserve it. Im a taurus by the way :grin:

5. LinkLarkin

I usually feel genuinely sorry if I've done something wrong, but I still struggle to say it out loud. But if I know I'm in the wrong and an interpersonal relationship is at stake then I just have to swallow my pride and apologise. If somebody apologises to me and it's a real apology, just some patronising piece of shit like, "I'm sorry you feel that way" then I'll accept it. Like you said, if it's not their fault then I'll make sure they know that. I'm a big believer in people taking responsibility for their own failures, and if somebody upsets me and doesn't apologise for that then they will never, ever be forgiven.

6. Gen

Gen

Its hard to tell when you never have anything to apologize for! ^_^

Though seriously, I don't have a problem apologize when I have been at fault. If I have done something wrong or unintentional, I would definitely want to make amends. That being said, I don't usually find myself having to do it often. I am an extremely honest person, and although, at times, some of the things that I say might not set well with others, I have always been a very live and let live type of person.

As long as someone isn't being detrimental to themselves or other, I rarely criticize or invade on the lives or actions of others. So I don't usually find myself having things to apologize for.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Due to the shit I've been through, I hold strong grudges and I rarely forgive easily.

8. Foxface

All the same. I do it with honesty and maturity

Apologies are always two way streets. If I apologize for something honestly, I understand if it takes some time for them to accept but if they simply refuse to accept then it isn't worth it

Foxface

9. HeyAshley

it completely depends on the situation and how sincere i think their apology is, when it comes to accepting apologies and forgiving people. for example, if i tell you something that isn't anyone else's business and you run your mouth anyway - it's going to take some time before i'm okay with you again. i might forgive you, but i definitely won't forget about the situation next time i need to tell you something private. but if someone just says something irritating or does something small, normally all it takes is a simple apology and i'll forgive / forget.

when it comes to me apologizing to people, i almost never apologize immediately because i rarely find myself in the wrong in a lot of situations. i have a pretty decent filter and i'm an all-around genuine girl. but once i cool down, if i look back on the situation and i realize that i'm wrong or if i can see why whatever i did would upset them then i'll usually apologize pretty quickly.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Canadian, I apologize at least 10 times a day...it's a law or something in these parts...

11. justjade

I keep my apologies short. I don't want to talk about it. I just want to let the other person know I'm sorry. When people apologize to me, I usually just say, "It's OK," because it usually is. I don't want to talk about it then either.