1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here plan to get married?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Would you like to get married one day?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Maybe depending on the guy

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. No

12 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Beware Of You

With England and Wales getting equal marriage, I have been wondering if I will ever get a husband.

To be honest while the idea of equal marriage is awesome, I can't see myself as married, I just don't feel the need of a piece of paper to say that I love someone. A couple can adopt kids and the like without a marriage.

Also Its nothing to do with my depression, even if I was straight I would never do it, I think marriage is irreverent today

Will anyone else ever consider doing it ?

#1 Beware Of You, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. EscapeArtist

I'd love to be married one day but I don't think its something I will actively practice until equality exists for all.

3. George

Yes I would like to marry someday. For me monogamy and commitment are extremely important. So if I ever get into a serious relationship with someone for an extended period of time, marriage is going to be a natural next step.

4. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I can't imagine never being married. That sounds so depressing to me, to grow old alone without that special someone. I know a lot of people will say you can be in a committed relationship without being married, but I personally would prefer to have a ring and a wedding. It just seems right, you know?

5. fluffyhandcuff

Absolutely! I've always wanted to get married even before I knew about my orientation. I just think the idea of commitment is beautiful.

6. Abbra

Yup. It just sounds right to me. Granted, I'm going to wait quite a while for it to happen, but I want to be able to have a wife by my side forever.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I do foresee myself settling down with a guy in the future, so I see no reason not to. There are too many legal benefits for me to not do it if we're already committed.

8. biggayguy

People change when you put a ring on their finger. Suddenly they are expecting things that they didn't expect when you were just dating or sleeping together. The person I was with seemed to expect me to become a houseboy.

9. rena

I'v always drempt of getting married since i was little, can't wait! ...kinda need a bride tho <3

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Should I find the right person, yeah. But only because you get tax/governmental benefits along with it.

If government was not at all involved in marriage, I'd completely ignore it, and even if I "found the right person" - at least speaking now without hindsight - would feel no need to get "married."

Living with a significant other in a presumably permanent status would be sufficient.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Might, but depends on how the cards play out. Never looked forward to getting married myself but that was well before I realized I didn't have to be a bride so... Being someone's husband would be nice. :grin:

Hard to imagine getting hitched regardless at this point in time...

12. LinkLarkin

I have enormous inner struggles over this. On the one hand, I fully agree with you that I don't need a piece of paper to prove my love to somebody and I certainly don't need it as a reason to spend the rest of lives with them - the quality of the relationship should be high enough to ensure that. On the other hand, I do quite like the idea of having my love officially recognised, and being able to call my best friend my husband. Plus the civil liberties are enough to make it worthwhile being married, if you want to strip away the romance and look at the cold, hard social side.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's one of the last things on my mind right now, honestly. If it happens, it happens.

14. BudderMC

I've seen a lot of bad through marriage, so I'm a leaning towards not getting married. I plan on settling down with someone eventually (hopefully) though, so I'd definitely consider it, if nothing else but for the legal benefits of being married (which I know nothing about).

15. Hexagon

I think the poll options rather exclude women and multisexuals...

Anyway, I selected 'other'. I'm kind of opposed to the institution of marriage in general, and though I'd never cheat, I'm not sure monogamy is the best kind of relationship. I would prefer a civil partnership. I might get married if it meant a lot to my SO.

16. BadCanadaJoke

I agree!

17. VelvetEYES

I'm sure a lot of people will say yes. But I'm saying no simply because I don't think I'll ever find anyone else that's serious enough and committed enough to marry. I'm the committing type but thus far have not found any other committing types for something as simple as a basic long term relationship. So marriage, is out of the question.

18. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love to get married. A couple reasons are religious. Another reason is the benefits you get with marriage.

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I said no, but I'm not sure. On the one hand, I do like the thought of having a life partner; however, something about the idea of marriage just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I like the thought of my partner and I being together purely out of our feelings for each other rather than because some paper somewhere says we are. (A corollary to this is that if our feelings ever change so that we don't want to be together like that anymore, I want to be able to break it off as painlessly as possible.)

The only thing that would make me consider marriage at this point are the economic and legal benefits associated with it.

20. AlamoCity

I do hope to one day find the right guy and fall in love and eventually get married. I am all for monogamy and marriage. In a way, I'm a traditionalist, a gay traditionalist.