1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report claims that "20 to 40 percent of homeless youth are gay"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

2. iluvboyssowhat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ya, pretty scary. It seems to in hand with gay's being kick out of their houses.

3. kevinx519

*sigh* this is the main reason i havent come out to my family yet. im so scared of them hating me for it and kicking me out. i dont want to end up on the streets and having to resort to those kinds of measures to get by.

4. Jerr

i just suggest you waiting until you can support yourself... you can do it with no worries of what they have to say other then losing them.... which is always a small risk...

i think the reason the number would be high really isnt so much that the parents kicked em out.... but the kids ran thinking they would

5. Bader

Bader Guest

Thats disturbing :frowning2:

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Unfortunately, this is my own neice right now. She ran away from home on Thursday. They've traced her cell phone records to somewhere near the Mexico border. Her girlfriend's brother caught them kissing and beat his sister up. They were so fearful of him that they took off. Nobody knows where they are. I am really worried. My neice is only 16 years old. :tears:

7. CrimsonThunder

What the fuck becky!! First off all she doesn't have to run away, she has to go to the cops! I really hope you get her to a safe place... Thats just stupid.

8. total mo

total mo Guest

Thats fucked up, its the girlfriend's brother's fault for beating them up! He is a total jerk!

9. John666

John666 Guest

didnt a previous report say 10% were gay?

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've tried calling her and texting her. My kids have called her and she's not picking up. Her girlfriend is Hispanic and from what I know about Hispanic families, they are very very private and don't want people butting into their business even if something horrible is happening like this. I tried to get my niece and her girlfriend to go to the cops but they wouldn't and the parents won't do anything either. They just let this crap happen. So finally it got so bad that they just took off. My neice has held one job (McDonalds) and has not had much responsibility in her life. She's not mature enough to be homeless!
    She hasn't even driven her car alone in the city before. She does not have street smarts. You guys please keep them in your thoughts. I'm so worried.

11. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Oh Becky I understand you and I can tell you that Hispanic families are either VERY reserved or TOO open, so both cases may happen. (My family is TOO open so if my dad knows I'm gay basically all my family + family's friends + Friend's friends would know, YUCK)

I just hope the best for y'all and Becky be strong. They will realize that this is not what they want for their lives and will come back. (*hugs*)

12. Tim

Tim

This would be the reason I was so scared to come out for the longest time. I made sure I had a place to go when I did come out though (which I somehow managed within the first day on EC... *shrug* was just right timing on myspace and the person I told first was on.

But I wouldn't doubt it, heck, for YOUTH, I'd say it's well past 40%...

13. Sam

Sam

I was afraid of being kicked out when I came out to my mom but instead of running away I was going to commit suicide if I was disowned and kicked out (also not a good choice there is always other options) but luckily it all worked out and we have a good relationship.

14. SammieG16

i'm still afraid to tell my family. i'm too scared to even go on EC at home. at school i worry that one of the teachers might say something to my parents...staright kids never have to worry about this stuff....why do i..