1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Remarks on Bisexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sdc91, May 5, 2008.

1. sdc91

Okay, so this irked me a bit. Actually, a lot.

I was eating dinner in the cafeteria with some friends (not close friends) and they started talking about a gay couple in our school, G & J. One girl claimed that "G isn't gay. I think he's bi. I'm sure he'll be straight next year." Then she went on to say that bisexuality is a transition phase and no one grows up to be bisexual.

I mean, what the f?

Although, everyone else at the table agreed that G was gay and he wouldn't be straight next year . . . and no one seemed to agree with her about her views of bisexuality, so that was a good sign.

2. Paralyzer

I know what you mean. I have two friends that think bi is a transition phase.. but I can't really blame them. They had this friend who would for a month be gay, then bi, then straight again.. so I guess he really confused them. Back when I thought I was bi, I was afraid to come out to them because I knew they'd probably talk about me behind my back like they did him.. but then again, I turned out to be gay so idk.. :grin: haha......

3. justbeingme

I'll be the first to admit that I kinda used bisexuality as a 'transition phase' (though I prefer ed the term versatile lol). I guess that the way I thought I was attracted to women wasn't like my real attraction to guys at all. and I didnt realize that until I was "bi" for like 4-5 months.

4. Nerdtendo

I dont think it's a transition phase. Rather, people mistake there orintation for being bi befor realizing they are one of the two (for lack of a better word) extreams of the spectrem. I mean, it kinda makes sence how someone can go "I'm sure I like girls only. ...well, maby he's cute... ok, there both sexy. ...well, he's hotter then her..." (or the other way 'round).

I wanna add into this that I find it HELARIOUS when someone goes 'oh my god, your bi?! no way!' like it was the biggest secret of the universe.

5. Trumpetplyer23

This kind of stuff makes me want to puke. "Bi's a transition phase", sure....if that's true than I'm Zac Efron.

I guess it could be worse, though, at least your friend only called it a phase. There are several people at my school who think I fancy/like every girl in the school just because I'm bi.

People should be educated more on this kind of stuff, helps cut down on ignorance levels slightly.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Yup, the ignorance about bisexuality is very bad, and way too prevalent.

7. Who dares mock my orientation >=(. No seriously though this ignorant garbage about bisexuality irks me. I would love to write it off as jealousy that we have more people to pick from and they don't, but it's more likely a case of being misinformed.

8. Its cause too many people use it as a transition phase. =\
    My friends don't really kept in mind my own, they usually referrer to me as gay.
    oh well.
    BISEXUALS RULE

9. halfy

personally i think that bisexual people get a lot of stick from both starights and gays. obvoiusly there are people who are accepting but i find that a lot of people think that they are promiscuous and that they can pick and choose who to date. i also find that gay people don't like them because they can "choose" to have a straight relationship and the straights don't like them because they "spead disease". or because they're "gay in denial"

this is all a load of crap. if we could choose to be straight, we wouldn't be bi at all. as for gay in denial; if someone is openly bi, they've already come out so why would they pretend? bisexuals don't spread disease anymore than anyone else, it's just a matter of having safe sex. and bisexuals can't pick and choose; you're either attracted to someone, or you're not. it's as simple as that. just like if you're straight you can't choose who to fall for, you can't always be attracted to other straight people.

stupid comments like the one above do get me riled up and annoyed. you would think that in todays society, bisexuals would be more accepted but i feel that they are less accepted than gays or straights.

10. Gera-Kun

that's horrible. bisexuality isn't a 'transition' between gay and straight. it's free loving and not caring about gender. that's how i see it as

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If there wasn't religious oppression and this stuff was part of education like everything else, this wouldn't be a problem.

12. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be off topic, but I think it fits, how one of the people I'm out to keeps saying, 'you should be bi'. I have to explain it doesn't work like that, just like I'm sure bisexuals can't just be straight or just be gay

A lot of people just don't understand these things, and it probably is worse for bisexuals because they'll get asked 'why can't you pick one?' But you can't choose your sexuality, you just have to do what feels right for you

13. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

my co-worker says its a transition.
    she says soon enough I'll just be gay.
    Whatever!!!

14. jpw062588

im not sure if i am sold on bisexuality either, i mean when i first started to question my sexuality i said i was bicurious because it seemed a little more acceptable then i transitioned in to being bisexual and then i was like this is crazy i don't like girls...i am gay

i guess because i am not bisexual i have a hard time understanding it but i feel like sometimes people say they are bi because it makes it easier for them which is completely understandble during these confusing times

15. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i cant get people who have a problem with bisexuality but are ok with homosexuality. it confuses me.

i think it starts because people are 'expected' to be straight - therefore there is a transition period into being gay, if you get my meaning.

so because some people move through being bi and then end up at gay, people say that its either / or. full stop.

16. NOTaphase109

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I see were your coming from. It's like how I couldn't imagine being straight or gay. I feel like gay people who use bisexuality as something to make it easier for them or use it as a transition phase actually make it harder for the real bisexuals.

17. IanGallagher

Completely agree with this statement. I grew up asking why do people choose to be with a guy or be with a girl? Why is there a choice? It just didn't make sense. Part of me still asks that. But, now realize that straight and gay guys are naturally that way while I'm naturally this way.

18. Emberstone

Remeber when being gay simply meant you grew up without a dad, or were sexually molsted as a kid? I view the anti-bi sentiment to be similer. It is baseless, and is a way people denigrate that which they dont understand. it is a revelation of ignorance, and we should take it as such.

stupidity only continues so long before people become so informed that they get drowned out.

all social/civil rights movements are built on stuidity being bred out of societal consciousness.

19. GuyDC21

Being bisexual could be a transitional period between straight and gay for some, just as agnostic can be for theist to atheist. I, on the other hand, am just good old fashion bi :eusa_danc

20. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In dealing with the straight-dominant society where gays deal with homophobia in their social environment as well as coinciding internalized homophobia, some gays do use "bisexual/bicurious" as a stepping stone to self-acceptance or to placate homophobic friends or family with the idea that there's still hope that they'll end up in a hetero relationship. I'm not saying it's right or justified that some gays do this (I'm guilty of it myself), but it's more a symptom of living in a homophobic, heteronormative society rather than it being the fault of gays that this ignorance exists. And frankly, at least from what I've seen, bisexuality isn't that well known about outside of the LGBT community. While I was closeted I didn't know too much about it other than a rudimentary concept. I didn't know a bisexual person in real life until a few months ago after I came out and my friend told me he was bi. There's not a lot of exposure yet for bisexual people. I think it's also more of an upward battle because many people view things as a black and white dichotomy and don't make room in their minds for the spectrum of possibilities that actually exist.

#20 PerfectInsanity, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011