1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Society oversexualised?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I honestly think it is, especially within the LGBT community. You can't go to a gay bar on anything with someone making a sexual advance to someone, or a load of topless guys on the wall.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's probably because outside, your chances of hitting on someone else that's Gay is much slimmer, being in a Gay Bar, the chances of the Guy being Gay are much higher, therefore people take their chances :slight_smile:

3. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    Also in the 20th century, at least in the UK, there have been a number of sexual revolutions that made sex less of a taboo subject between people, and made it feel more of a normal part of being human. Of course, promiscuity didn't not exist before people started talking about it, much like homosexuality did before people recognised its existence publicly. For me, I think it's much safer that sex is not a taboo subject and that we are all aware of it, than it remain hidden and people experiment without knowing the ins and outs first (if you'll pardon the pun).

4. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with you on this, but I think it's something we cannot stop and shouldn't stop if people are responsible. I think when you walk into a gay bar and you see people dancing without their shirts on, it just shows that they are comfortable in their own skin.

Personally I'm a very traditionalist person (and perhaps naive to) and I believe in that love doesn't start with a quickie in the park. But that's my view and I haven't the right to influence or change the views of others. And I'm happy that I think like that.

5. Harve

Society should be and probably is as sexualised as society wants. But obviously some won't agree with the 'norm'.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It both is and isn't. One one hand, people, especially women, are made sex objects, but on the other hand, we repress the idea of sex, which leads to sexuality being hidden, and makes people have unsafe sex when they're not given sex education.

7. Hexagon

I think that people are still too afraid of sex, and once they stop being so, they'll stop being so obsessed with sex, and a balance will appear.

8. BudderMC

"Oversexualized" is a relative term based off a temporal comparison. You're thinking that society is too sexualized relative to what society was before. Conversely, someone could argue that society wasn't sexualized enough back then.

While our society is becoming more and more sexualized, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Sex can be a very good and a very bad thing. By removing the taboo around the subject by slowly making society more accustomed to it, it opens up discussion and fosters knowledge. It may help people to enjoy sex further or reduce some of the many risks associated via proper knowledge of safe sex.

And re: bars, bars have almost always been a hotspot for people looking to go home with somebody, even if only for a one night stand, and that's for both straight and LGBTQ* people. I wouldn't call it accurate to judge the level of how sexual society is based on a typically highly sexual location. (yes, I know there are non-sexual bars and bar patrons too)

9. AKTodd

Well, that is one of the main functions of a gay bar (or really any bar) after all. That's been the case since forever.

There's nothing that says you have to accept every (or any) proposition you may get, however. Nobody is going to put a gun to your head and force you to go home with them. If you don't want to do anything but talk/drink/dance just do those things and politely decline any offers you may get. Easy peasy.

And the topless guys on the wall are often very nice to look at while enjoying a drink to cool down between dances:thumbsup:

Todd

10. Rolando4

I think so :/. I wish people were less sexual, especially gay/bi guys. I feel like no one wants a real relationship, just sex and hook-ups...

11. Abbra

The sexualization of society is a rather vicious cycle. We fear sex, so we repress it. When we repress it, it becomes taboo. When it becomes taboo, people begin to question it. When people begin to question it, people begin to break the taboo. When people break the taboo, it becomes a phenomenon. When it becomes a phenomenon it goes too far. When it goes too far, we begin to fear it. When we fear sex, we repress it.

We basically need to stop focusing on sex as something unnatural and evil, because we are sensationalizing a bodily function. Our obsession with sex is what causes a lot of problems within ourselves. It's the same reason that women in the jungles walk around without shirts, and nobody bats an eye, and yet if one little nipple slips out in the western world, everyone loses their minds. If we get rid of the taboo surrounding sex, it won't be shoved down our throats all the time. In fact, it will be considered natural.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with every word of this, and find it pretty funny. It's not just girls that are oversexualized, though. Here's a small list of what I've noticed:

In women
    1. Make-up, some to the point of ad-nauseum
    2. ridiculous shoes
    3. Boobs are everything (this is the saddest part of society)
    5. Clothes that show barely nothing except for tits and maybe butt
    6. Anime with oversized, impossible sizes

In men:
    1. Having a big dick is everything (this is the 2nd saddest part of society)
    2. "Guns"
    3. "Go hard or go home"

In both:
    1. Tans, fake or not
    2. Gossip
    3. Magazines, Reality TV shows such as TMZ

To clear it up though, it's not sex that I'm all "no" about. It's this: When I'm trying to go somewhere or do something, I don't need your boobs all up in my face. Nor your ass. Nor your dick. I don't need sex in every situation I'm in. I also don't want or need you assuming my sexual orientation. That's what it seems society is completely ignoring in many, many people.

Is hygiene important? Yes. Yes, it is. It plays a huge role in health. But caking makeup on your face and shampooing your hair 17 times a day isn't that necessary.

That's an interesting thought. Now if somehow we could take that thought and apply it...