1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a Book - Need help from Trans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by csocm, Jul 20, 2013.

1. csocm

So I've always written and since about winter time, I have had the idea of having a transgender character. And in spring I started it, the story is sorta based on me and my best friend, the characters are nothing like us, and situations are somewhat different. But the main character is coming to terms with being a lesbian while her lifelong best friend is going through the FtM process. I am coming to a point where the process is starting to begin, and at least she had come to terms with being trans. I've been getting info from my friend but I def would like other people's input too. I want to know:
    How did you know you were trans?
    What was your process (or at least first step)?
    How long did it take approx?
    Any other advice you could give me.

I really want this to be as realistic as possible, so I would love as much information that you can give me so that I can use what is most like the character and how I see him being. Thanks so much.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey, Csocm. I'm a transman and writer myself so hopefully I can give you some insight into the transitioning process. Can't offer much, I'm afraid, since I'm still pre-HRT, pre-surgery, and still in the closet.

To answer your first question, I've only know I was trans* for the past few months. And it was a result of weeks of obsessive questioning and the realization that I'd never felt like a woman but had never had the choice to be anything but one. It was actually through Tumblr that I realized being male could be a possibility.

I'm an author myself as previously mentioned, doing research for a MtF character I had. A friend recommend the Fuck Yeah MtF page for me. As I was looking over that page and doing research about the trans* community, I just so happened to hear about FtMs. So I said to myself, "So if there's a Fuck Yeah MtF, better see what this FtM deal is."

Well. Saw all these pics of trans* guys. Some on HRT. Some pre- or non- everything. Post surgery chests. And it made me envious. Saw myself in those guys. I'd wished to be a man for years but figured I was stupid for wanting it, that if I was meant to be a male I'd have been born one, and I wasn't trying hard enough to be a real woman.

Made me realize I had a choice. So I began to question myself. And now, today, I identify as male.

- As far as transitioning goes, transitioning really is an individual process. I myself plan on taking hormone replacement therapy and getting top surgery, along with a hystorectomy and potentially a medioplasty if I've got the cash.

Only step I've taken at this point is to come out to a handful of people both online and off and mildly masculinize my appearance. Cut my hair, stopped shaving my legs, bought guy clothes and started binding my chest with a compression sports bra.

I'll pull up resources later when I get a chance. Afraid I have to run at the present moment but best of luck.