1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Holding Your Own" Around Intimidating People

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BooksJeansTea, Jul 20, 2013.

1. BooksJeansTea

Have any of you ever been around someone that has a very intimidating presence? I can hold my own around serious people and the like but I'm talking about another level of intensity here.

Some of them just have the ability to wipe any rational thought from people that usually have rational thought just by entering the room. I mean to tell you this one guy is intense. He has a history that I suppose would explain it but I still wish I could dissolve into liquid and be absorbed by the carpet so he doesn't notice me.

How can you assure yourself and not look like a Meerkat cornered by a Hyena?

2. Hexagon

Sarcasm and posture. The sarcasm speaks for itself, and as for posture: Cross your arms, stand with your feet somewhat apart, and glare sarcastically at your opponent. The posture thing, not only makes your opponent feel as if they aren't getting to you, it apparently also has an effect on your mindset as well.

3. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Just a fun psychological trick that I've found very useful: if you're on a date with someone or just out on the town with someone you're interested in, don't stand your ground. Let them stick up for you. They're going to love you after that. Interestingly enough, standing your own ground will make less of an impression on your date.

4. Sarcastic Luck

Crossed arms can indicate a defensive posture, fyi.

In general, here's an interesting read: Arm body language

5. BooksJeansTea

There are some interesting thoughts here. I guess there is really no universal way of dealing with this that I somehow missed. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 04:11 AM ----------

Thanks for the link, Sarcastic Luck :slight_smile: