1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of the US

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlunwound, Jul 20, 2013.

1. girlunwound

I've lived here all my life, grew up here... and I am just so effing tired of it. Tired of the LGBT-phobia, tired of the gay marriage debate, tired of racism, tired of stupidity, tired of banksters and the uber-rich calling all the shots while people like me who have years of experience and used to make a decent living are now barely able to scrape by. I'm tired of the people who are still well-off calling everyone else lazy and "entitled".

I can barely even go on FB anymore. I'm just tired of people's shit and tired of everything.

I've played with the idea of moving overseas for many years now and the way things are just getting worse and worse here in the US (despite a few victories for LGBT rights, it's still a racist, phobic shithole) .

Land of the free my ass.

So once again I find myself doing research on decent places in which to emigrate and making long-term plans to do so....

>sigh<

2. Well that sucks. Just simply move to a liberal area of the US like Boston, MA or San Jose, CA. It does get better here. You should make a stand and speak out for everyone.

If that doesn't feel great to you, well then Canada is a great place.

3. chrisV

yeah, Canada is a great place if you don't like the US. it's a lot more liberal, and it's still close to the US, so visiting family and friends isn't too hard

4. girlunwound

Thanks to Harper and Canadians for whatever reason wanting to be more like the US, Canada is sucking pretty badly right now too. I live very, very close to Canada (If I hopped on my motorcycle right now I could be in Canada in 15 minutes).

As for parts of the US being liberal, I actually live in a fairly liberal part already. Unfortunately, living here doesn't fix all the issues we have. The banksters still rob you blind and the job market is shit no matter where you go. Stupid people are everywhere in this country too. I have finally come to realize how many fuckin stupid people exist and it just drives me crazy.

The other part of this is that I have a heart defect I was born with and the older I get the less I tolerate extreme climates. Where I am, winter is harsh from the cold and summer is harsh from the humidity and heat. I may just be SOL because what I want is a utopia where people get along, don't fuck each other over and use religious dogma to bash other people and where I can live without feeling like shit 9 months of the year. Such a place probably doesn't exist.

#4 girlunwound, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you. I often feel the same way. We seem to be a country where the gap between rich and poor is only widening,and where the middle class is disappearing. And we still don't have basic access to things like health, dental and vision care. Sometimes, I look at the US, and it feels so cold and greedy: you have to be dirt poor to get help, and if not, there's not any real safety net.

I'm also in a very liberal state, but it gets too hot for me here! Hoping to head up to Vermont or New Hampshire ion time.

Maybe back to Michigan, if they ever get rid of the Republicans and dumb laws up there.

6. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally hear what you're saying, girlunwound. I look around and see so much unfairness, greed, and entitlement — it really makes me angry and depressed sometimes. :tantrum:

It's often hard to channel the negative feelings into something more positive, especially when it seems so futile and hopeless. Sometimes I just go into the back yard and pull weeds for awhile, or head out for a long walk to escape for a bit. These activities help me redirect my thoughts and relieve some of the tension, sometimes to the point where I'm ready to take some action. :thumbsup:

One thing I do when I'm feeling ignored as a citizen is write my elected officials. I am quite vocal to my congressional senators and representative about the sad state of affairs in the US and their responsibility to support us "little people" — they hear from me often. I urge them to support legislation regarding civil rights, equality, freedom, privacy, etc., and I let them know when I'm unhappy with their representation. I don't mind being a thorn in their side — they need to be reminded that we exist. It doesn't solve all the world's problems, but I feel like I'm doing something to keep my voice heard.

And sometimes when I'm feeling really overwhelmed, I just curl up in a corner and eat lots of chocolate... :icon_wink

7. IrishEyes1989

Move up here north of the border!! You'd find life in Canada much different and probably very much to your liking. Sure we're not perfect (no country is) but we have FAR less racism, gay marriage has been legal nationwide for almost a decade, and our financial industry is more regulated than that of the US, thus we bounced back from the recession more quickly. And don't forget our free public healthcare. We're the Europe of North America lol. Also, Canada is just an unbelievably beautiful country from coast to coast. We'd love to have you if you choose to move here!! (*hug*)

8. ScatteredEarth

This may be true. But I'll tell you one thing. I'd rather live here than any other country on this earth. America is only as good as you make it to be. And I for one have a happy life here. I don't take anything to heart when it comes to the news and what not. It's not like America will ever come up to a gay couple and say that you can't hold hands or be together. The day that happens is the day America goes up in flames :slight_smile:

9. 2112

Michigan is the most conservative liberal state in America, thanks to Gov. Snyder. We have Stand Your Ground, Right To Work, and lots of anti-gay laws.

10. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I know what you're saying. I want to move to Switzerland, because I visited there about 4 years ago and loved it there. The skiing was great, and the locals were really cool. But if I were to stay in the US, I honestly would want to move to the southern Florida. It's great down there, and people tend to be less homophobic down there than where I live now. I don't really want to live anywhere up north, because it seems like people are less friendly and outgoing in large cities like New York and places like that. Southern California seems like it would be a really chill place to live too.

11. Hun

Hun

Here here. I'm sick of this country. I don't feel safe here. I want to go some place more tolerant and more liberal. Norway in particular, I dream of living there.

12. blueberrymuffin

Well my take on it is it's best to avoid the internet for the most part, as it is little more than a haven for bigots with a vendetta. As far as actual rights and the real world, yeah I'm stuck in michigan, where gay rights basically don't exist. So i'm definitely leaving after college, but I no longer see leaving the country altogether as necessary. Obviously as a whole, we're nowhere near Scandinavia or even Canada, but there's about a dozen states that I see as tolerable, and that number keeps going up. People are (very) slowly coming around.