1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drinking.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grizzleybear33, Jul 20, 2013.

1. grizzleybear33

So next year I'll be going to college next year and I don't want to be that stereotypical college student that parties and gets drunk all the time. I feel like this will limit the amount of people I meet. It seems like everyone wants to go bat shit crazy and be as rebellious as possible. I had a great life talk with a friend last night and he brought up a quote from one of my teachers who stayed sober and chaste throughout college debating with someone who hadn't , "I can be you any day of the week. I can go out and get wasted and have sex with as many girls as I want, but you can never be me. You can't take back the integrity that I have". I love to have a good time but I don't need alcohol to do it. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

2. LD579

I think it's an interesting take on 'abstinent' behaviour. It's important to not look down on people who make such choices, though. It's just a choice, you know? They've made theirs, and you'll make yours.

You'll miss out on the party 'lifestyle' and some of those kinds of events and activities, I'm sure, but it doesn't mean you'll have to miss out on all of them. They can be a good way to meet people. Just be firm with your boundaries and people should respect them. There isn't anything wrong with getting drunk or having a glass of something, though, you know?

It's all about what you're comfortable with, and having people respect that. If they don't, maybe they don't deserve to be in your life, you know?

Cheers.

EDIT: In response to the post below... Fair enough. Keep what I said in mind, perhaps, though =)

#2 LD579, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  3. grizzleybear33

I have gotten drunk once and honestly it wasn't anything special I thought. Idk. And I don't necessarily look down on people who do choose to drink a lot but it's more like "that's not going to get you anywhere" sort of thing. I mean it probably will get you some friends and you might meet someone you like there hut for the most part it is getting drunk and trying to get laid, at least what I make it out to be. I know I might just be trying to justify it but whatever. I drink because I like the taste of stuff not because I want to forget whatever I did that night.

4. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I definitely respect people who do what they think is right, but when I get in college, I'm going to party like it's 1999. One of the colleges that I'm looking at has a great greek scene, so I'm definitely fratting it up if I go there. If I end up there, I'm going to pledge at one of the houses that some of my senior friends are at. I know one dude that went down there for the summer, and he says that they party all the time, and typically at fraternity parties there is an abundance of alcohol and weed, so I'm looking forward to it. I actually don't drink unless I'm at a party, but it can be a good way to loosen up with some friends on a weekend.

5. grizzleybear33

Fair enough Luthan. :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't drink, partially because a lot of people in my parent's "ethnic group" are alcoholics, and my dad is starting to become an alcoholic. However, my main reason is that I am extremely stubborn when it comes to peer pressure, going out of my way to resist "the easy way out."

That said, I probably will drink in the future (most likely only with a small group of friends), though not much since I'm small and probably don't have a low limit. It's similar to how I feel about coffee: I never got into a habit of drinking it and eventually started only drinking low caffeine drinks like green tea, if at all.

7. George

I actually went through all of my undergraduate years without ever getting drunk. I would occasionally have a drink or two but I always stopped there. I hated the idea of having a substance "take over my mind" (and it's the same reason that I got in an argument with an anesthesiologist when I had a surgery a couple years ago).

In retrospect, I now realize that my fear of substances was due to me being afraid of saying something I would regret, particularly anything to do with my sexuality. Well, once I started my coming out process a month ago I realized that it didn't matter anymore. So I let myself get drunk for the first time. Honestly it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I really shouldn't have worried so much about it. However, that doesn't mean its a good idea to drink all the time. There were plenty of benefits to staying away from it for all these years, but I think I should have loosened up every once and a while and just had some fun.

8. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I'm in my first year of university and I can sympathise with you. You have to remember that college, in some sense, symbolises the transition from childhood into adulthood. With adulthood comes the prospect of one making one's own choices.

The reason some students go crazy and get drunk, take recreational drugs and sleep around is primarily to take advantage of the new-found freedom they have acquired. While it's understandable, it's not particularly smart or a responsible thing to do. It's wise that you choose not to follow such a trend. But there's nothing wrong with having one or two drinks at a party with people you feel comfortable with and even if you do feel like getting a bit drunk or tipsy, make sure you have someone you can trust who will be willing to look after you and drive you home afterwards.

You are at college to get educated, after all, so make that your primary focus. That's what I'm doing. I like to go out occasionally with friends, but my studies take first priority.

9. Alexander69

Don't drink period..... You'll regret it! :frowning2: blahg like I do right now

10. srslywtf

I think that quote you mentioned is biased and ignorant.

His judgement on what happens is based entirely on the appearance of others, he has absolutely no ability to understand the feeling that the other side gets.

11. HeyAshley

There's plenty of college kids that don't drink alcohol. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. You might miss a lot of cool parties, but it seems like you don't have much of a problem with that. And not that I'm trying to encourage you to drink, but just because you have a couple beers every now and then doesn't make you a stereotypical drunk college kid.

12. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy a drink on weekends but to be honest I don't need a drink to enjoy myself. That being said it helps a little if you out clubbing. Bottom line is you can choose to not drink or drink and still enjoy yourself.

13. MixedNutz

I think it's your choice, and which ever way you choose to live through your college experience you can end up with regrets.

You may regret not using college to experience the partying and the drinking, the hookups, all of that. You may also regret going overboard and binge drinking, and partying TO much.

There is also nothing wrong with walking down the middle, have fun, party, but dont do it in excess.

14. MrBrightside

I love a good drink, most students in Scotland tend to :grin: When i first moved out i went completely overboard and dont remember whole weeks... I dont regret it though, it was fun and has been done. I still get drunk now, just less often.

My university' student association organises an 'alternative' freshers week every year, where there is no alcohol and just events to meet people. Things like trips to the beach, visiting local towns, quizzes, cinema etc where people that dont want to drink to excess can meet and have fun.

Ive only ever done the cinema part cos it was free, i was drunk (the irony) but there were alot of people.

Have a check see if your uni does tht, i dunno how america works with student unions and such.

15. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking is evil and should be illegal.

I should point out it's likely my opinion will change as soon as my hangover is gone. :dry:

16. Harve

Yes. Being sober gives you or maintains 'integrity'?!

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like to drink socially with friends :slight_smile:

18. Abbra

I'm not going to lie, I love drinking. However, I make sure to only do it once in awhile. Getting hammered every weekend seems like a little much, but I do go out and binge drink every couple of months. I tend to enjoy being sober more than I enjoy inebriation, but it's still fun to let loose and say, "screw it" once in awhile.

19. grizzleybear33

I will admit that I think the part part about integrity should be taken out but I agree 100 percent with the other part. What do you mean he has no ability to understand the feeling the other side gets. If you mean the feeling of drunkenness then you're right but it's irrelevant. He is pointing out that the many people who end up regretting their drinking decisions can't take it back while my teacher has nothing to take back because he didn't drink a lot.

Once I establish a good group of friends that I trust I won't have any issues with going out and drinking a little. But until then and even after the I don't want to go to parties and lose control.

20. srslywtf

It's perfectly fine to talk up the benefits of one's lifestyle choice, however -
    claiming one experience is more valuable than another is either arrogant or ignorant.

His choice has caused him to miss out on just as much as someone taking the opposite path.

It's a common point of contention between humans in many life choices, not just to drink/not drink... is it better to experience a life of no negatives? or a life of soaring highs and crushing lows? neither is more correct.

#20 srslywtf, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013