1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What areas of life do you consider the most important?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just what you care about most. The part of the human experience you'd want aliens to see. The part without which you can't live.

Mine is knowledge. And no, I'm not one of those MENSA assholes. I'm not actually very smart, but I consider myself knowledgeable, which is why I do so much better in AP's than in the SAT, etc. I think there's a big difference between intelligence and knowledge. Intelligence you're born with, but knowledge you gain from a lifetime of intellectually stimulating activity.

My ultimate goal has been for the past five years to become a tenured professor in physics and/or astronomy. I love doing research, learning new things, and showing people those things (the teaching part of professorship).

My main goal for a husband (besides someone pleasant, but I don't think that counts because it's kind of a given that I'd only marry someone who's nice and pleasant) is to find someone who's also into academics. I'd also like them to be smarter than I am, just because I'm absolutely horrible at figuring out new situations--all I can do is apply previous knowledge and produce an outcome, which is perfect for academic research, but not so great for when a three year-old eats a gallon of styrofoam. So someone smart would be good.

Anyway, what's your most important thing and how will it affect you?

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine's kind of broad, but art.

I would love to show aliens how humans can take emotions or ideas, or whatever else in life and hang it on a wall or make it stand up in our kitchen.

3. kem

kem

1) Aesthetics. Art and elegance. I try to do everything as gracefully as I can -- well, I try 90% of the time. Beauty and looking good is important to me, but I avoid judging people by their appearance. I'd rather have a well-designed and aesthetically pleasing, but slightly lower-specced laptop than a powerhouse behemoth. I'll gladly spend more money on quality items that look good than buy cheaper, uglier stuff that does the same job.
    2) Health; good food and exercise. Mental health as well. I like to eat well. I love cooking and I try to prepare as much as I can myself. Keeping my body in good, or better than average shape is valuable as well. I want to live long and healthy.
    3) Pleasure. Although I value health above many things, I still love drinking wine and smoking hookah with friends and the occasional joint. And I have a soft spot for sweets.

4. leer

family friends being happy I know it all sounded boring but its important .

5. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Companionship and love:
    This is really the primary goal for me. Of course with goals, there are misses as well.

Being remembered by those who are important to me:
    When I look up from below I hope to see that there are people who miss me when I am gone or something.

Helping society understand ethics and be empathetic:
    I feel that at times we are too ignorant to the need of others, including me, I can be ignorant as well. How I spread the word now is the question.

Happiness of those around me:
    My emotions are based on other people's emotions, so if people don't get a birthday present and feel sad, I often feel sad for them as well, so it's important that I correct that, for their happiness, and maybe mine as well.

6. CuriousBunny

I can't live without music, so music. Not that shitty pop stuff, but inspiring music (post-hardcore)

7. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Relationships. With friends, family and romantic partners, whatever. Without people I don't think there's much reason to live. I don't care so much what I wind up doing with my life, as long as it's with the right people.

8. Foxface

experience...plain and simple. I like to experience everything I can

Foxface

9. Abbra

In the end, it's the people that I love. As much as I love art and learning, I could live without all of those things. I couldn't live without my friends and family, and I would be really sad if I never had a relationship. I could survive a crappy job if I had people I love beside me.