1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy new clothes before starting college?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alucard18, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Alucard18

Title says it for the most part. My college is starting soon and I wanted to buy some new clothes. The problem is I'm planning to lose a good amount of weight (like ~40-50 lbs) and I don't want to buy new clothes only to lose the weight and lose money on clothes that don't fit after just starting. So what do you think I should do?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you could buy clothes that should fit once you lose the weight
    thats what id do tbh

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

It depends on how long it will be before you lose the weight. If we're talking a year or so, then I would recommend waiting until afterward to buy clothes. But if it's more of a "this is something I want to do by the end of college" type thing, getting new clothes now wouldn't be a bad idea.

4. Alucard18

I plan to get most of the weight loss done before the first year is over. I still will need to buy a new coat so i'll probably still buy some new shirts and pants to work with either way.

5. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would get the basic of what you need to feel confident in your first few days of college you don't wanna be worrying about what your wearing you wanna be confident cause confidence attracts friends having said that mayby it would be a good idea to leave the expensive items or something you really want as motivation to loose weight. Good luck

6. Hexagon

That depends on whether your current clothing has outlived its usefulness.

7. srslywtf

I say wait...

Buying new clothes feels nice, but buying new clothes when you've lost alot of weight feels fantastic.... and everybody notices you all of a sudden.

8. BudderMC

If your current clothes are ratty/you're in need of some new ones, get some now. Like someone else said, the confidence boost will help you starting out in an otherwise probably nervewracking transition. You can always pick up more clothes later if you end up needing them.

I'd rather be in a position where I have the stuff I need now rather than banking on something later. I ended up losing a lot of weight semi-intentionally in my first year of university (~80lbs) and just picked up new clothes towards the end of that year/during the summer.

You could always buy a couple of new college shirts/clothes. Even if you don't fit things like t-shirts and sweatpants because you've lost weight, they make nice pajamas or really casual clothes, which is reasonably appropriate if you're in college.

9. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    2 things come to mind:
    1. 40-50 lbs is definitely a lot of weight, but probably not enough to change the fit of your clothes significantly. You'd think it would be, but unless you're buying a suit or skinny jeans, it shouldn't be that big a deal.
    2. You act like it's guaranteed you'll succeed on your diet. But statistically, that's very unlikely. This is not a reflection on you personally, just that most people don't succeed.
    I'd buy new clothes.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hit the thrift store. New clothes, not going to waste cash, and it's always possible to donate or sell the clothes once they no longer fit.

Also would suggest you throw in a motivation item or two. Something in a small size you can fit into once you've lost weight. I recently lost about fifty pounds and one thing I had lying around was a pair of shorts about two sizes smaller than my original clothing sizes. I ended up losing more weight than expected so those shorts no longer fit but it helped when it came to sticking to my goal.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

12. leer

I would buy a few nice things that make look comfortable .

13. Amerigo

you might as well, who knows, baggy clothes could come back into fashion like they were in the 90s. i'm doing the opposite (bulking) and i can only imagine i'll look fine in tight t-shirts etc. :wink:

14. Rolando4

I also think you should buy the newer, smaller clothes now before the actual weight loss. It can act as a great motivator to losing the weight. On the other hand, if you end up not losing the weight, well, it'll be a waste of money! Like you though, I'm eating healthier and working out more and I bought new clothes and feel so much better about myself! Good luck :slight_smile: