1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desired Name

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sirjeremydean, Jul 23, 2013.

1. My birth name is Jessica ... and I really don't want to use it for the future of transitioning. I was wondering if it was legal for me to use my preferred name/pronouns for doctor offices and job applications.

I'm moving to NC in one to two months. I want to start my life from the ground up moving there. I'd like to live my life as a male and as Jeremy. I want to use that name for all of my doctor's and job applying. Is this legal to do before I get my paperwork to LEGALLY change my name?

2. ScatteredEarth

I would legally change your name before doing any form of legal paperwork with your desired name. It would be falsifying your official documents and you could face punishment.

I for one, love my name and want to name my first son Greg :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Hexagon

Its legal to do that where I live. However, its much less complicated to just change it before. What is preventing you from changing your name tomorrow?

I changed mine when I was 15.

4. I mean I can always ask doctor offices, right? As for jobs I can just do it, right? I'm just afraid that something will happen and I'll get arrested or something. But I really would like to start going by Jeremy. And I don't know how long it'll take me to get my name LEGALLY changed.

5. Hexagon

Well, I don't know what the legal procedure is where you are, but for me, it took all of about 10 seconds.

If you don't start the process, it will never get done. There is no sense in delaying it because it might take time.

6. Oh I know that. But I don't want to start legally doing anything until I move to the new state, you know what I mean? It would be dumb to start changing everything in the state I live at now and then just up and leave. I mean to me, it seems that way.

7. Hexagon

I would have thought once your name is changed, its changed, no matter what state or country you're in.

8. Well ... that's what I'm saying ... I don't know how the name game works ....... =/

9. Hexagon

10. ScatteredEarth

Once you change your name it's your legal name regardless. That's like saying I need a whole new birth certificate because I was born in New York but don't live there anymore.