1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on hot guys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, May 6, 2008.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I the only one who sees that hotness seems to be inversely proportional to niceness/intelligence?

I don't know why this is so, but at least in real life and 99% of the time online, every single hot guy I meet, is either really nasty, really stupid, really full of himself or all three of them, which makes them intensely unattractive. Average-looking ones sometimes are a little better, but not by much.

I'm very frustrated because of this. Anyone feels the same?

2. Alex

Not that i met many IRL... but so far.. what you said is correct... unfortunately :grin:

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly it's been my experience that good looks are not inversely proportional to intelligence... there's nothing quite so demoralising as a hot person who is also smart.

But I would say the hotness/niceness relationship you describe holds a lot more true. I wouldn't say 99% of the time but certainly more than 50%... somewhere probably between 70% and 80%. This is because being attractive is such a valued thing in our society that attractive people don't have to work anywhere near as hard as average-looking people to get things they want, so they have far less opportunity to develop any kind of awareness of other people's feelings or struggles because everything comes much easier to them. They get away with more shit, they have an easier time making friends, people just want to be around them more.

And sadly it's such an unacknowledged thing in society that hot people don't usually realise they have these default advantages, and of course few people want to think they are getting by on their looks and not their sterling personalities, so if you try to point out the fact that the playing field is awfully uneven, they generally freak out at you and, because of the attractiveness effect, most other people side with them because we wouldn't want the hot person not to like us. If a hot person likes us, then we ourselves must be in some way hot through hotness by association and approval.

And no, I realise it's not that cut and dried--certainly we all know people who are attractive who most people think are assholes--and I'm not saying that people who are hotter than average have no problems. But they have far less problems than they would if they were only average-looking and they tend to be able to find solutions to the problems a lot more readily than average-looking people. Sometimes the effect is subtle but it is definitely there if you pay attention.

4. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think after you engage in conversation with a person, their personality outweighs their appearance by a bajillion percent. Looks may get people to talk to you, but your personality will make them want to talk to you a second time :icon_wink

On the topic of good looking people being less nice/intelligent...I just think it depends on who the people are. Usually the people who are born good looking deteriorate as they get older...or at least from what I've seen and heard...and if they're jerks they probably won't have good personalities/intelligence to back them up later in life. :badgrin:

I don't have statistics to back anything I've said up but I'd like to think karma exists...

5. CelebrityHead

I couldn't agree more!

6. Micah

The best ones are the guys who used to be ugly, but suddenly got hot.

That way they're humble (and intellegent?), yet good looking :wink:

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never have seen that happen as of now... watching too much Ugly Betty I think, lol.

8. Rette

I've seen it happen to a few people in the years after high school. That, and the "hot" jocks stop playing sports and gain like 90 pounds.

9. InaRut

:slight_smile: I've seen hot guys who are also intelligent.

Look at me for example. But I'm also slightly disillusional at times. >_>

10. SlowEyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people (i wont name names) just sound bitter on the subject. From what I can tell, at my school the majority of the good lookers are very nice and intelligent, while those who lack self confidence mostly just talk shit about others. I've witnessed this from my own eyes. I think it might have something to do with shy ppl being intimidated by others who are outgoing.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend once said "God made them attractive so we don't kill them for being so dumb and annoying." :slight_smile:

Honestly, though, I've never seen any correlation. I've met plenty of nice people and plenty of annoying people, and there doesn't seem to be more attractive folk in either category.

Lex

12. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think most hot guys are stupid or annoying. In fact, the majority of the hot guys I know are really nice and intelligent (and straight of course) :slight_smile:

13. Jeimuzu

Karl, the boy I'm kinda-dating is really really cute, really bitchy but in a funny sarcastic way, and he's sweet as anything. :slight_smile:

So maybe as an average, but not a rule. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. sdc91

Not fair! As a general rule of thumb, central and eastern european boys are almost always hot. :frowning2:
    Must be the water.

Anyway, there are exceptions to the rule. I don't know, I don't hang around hot people enough to know due to my education. And if there are hot guys in my class, I'm too shy to talk to them because I don't want to take the risk of falling for straight guys. And if they're out, I'm careful about talking to them constantly because I'm not out . . . stupid closet. Catch-22.

15. Ty

Ty Guest

Whenever I see someone I think is attractive it = out of my league for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Atleast thats how I think.

16. Jeimuzu

I've always had that attitude. Just try and make friends with them, and see if it goes anywhere.

17. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [off-topic] I feel proud now :grin:

And I hate my closet too. It would be so easy to come out to everyone if I had a boyfriend, but I can't really get one until I come out :rolleyes: [/off-topic]

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you used to be ugly? :wink:

19. ok455

I dont go for hot guys i go for average and ugly looking guys. Im not hott so why should i go for hot guys? that are out of my league

I think most guys Hott Average Ugly are mean. Straight guys are more nicer when it comes to friends gay guys are hard to be friends with occasionally i meet some nice gay guys shockly a gay guy from myspace imed me and we talked for a hour on aim. Which was shocking but usally when i im a gay guy they act like they arent intrested and when they see my picture they dissapear

20. Siateac34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope. Stupid, mean, bitchy, queeny, annoying, bratty, prissy, high-maintenance, overly-groomed, humourless... a hot guy is a hot guy. The same way a smart guy is no dumber if he's a dickhead, a hot guy is no uglier if he's a c**t.

The only thing that makes a guy uglier is his odour. I cannot tolerate smelliness. It makes me want to throw up.