1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial Relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Have you been in an interracial relationship?

1. Yes, I'm in an interracial relationship

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Yes, I've had one in the past

24 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. No, I've had a relationship but not an interracial one

26 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Never had a relationship :(

58 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Jared

I've noticed that a lot of the queer couples I know are interracial, well at least a more sizable percentage than straight couples I know. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why this is. Personally I think it might have something to do with how being queer already puts us in a minority, so I'd like to think we're more accepting of differences, though looking at online dating profiles will show we've got a ways to go on that. I'm in an interracial relationship currently, I'm white and my boyfriend is Asian.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. It could be that LGBT couples find love to be omniscient more than some other people. We do live with the understanding that love is between two people, not just a white man and a white woman, etc.

I'm not saying other people don't think that. Obviously there are allies and friends that we have that support us. But there are plenty of non-LGBT couples that think love HAS to be between this kind of person and this other kind of person. It's been something that's gone on for thousands of years, sadly.

3. LinkLarkin

Maybe it's just because our dating pool is so much smaller that we can't be picky? Not that I would ever be picky about something like race, I would fall in love with who I fall in love with, but I think straight people just fall for those close to them, who are often people of their own culture, whereas we often have to go out and search for a partner and consequently meet a more diverse group of people.

Just a thought.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My parents were in an interracial relationship.. and I know of other straight interracial relationships, But I would guess that statistically there's more of a mix, compared to heterosexuals.

I think because there's a smaller dating pool within the LGBT community, probability of interracial relationships forming are likely increased, and also because we're generally more open/tolerant and recognise what love is, and race generally doesn't hold any barriers (though there's prejudice in every community and I've seen racism often in queer spaces).

I'm currently in one, and every relationship I'll be in will be interracial, because I'm multiethnic. :lol: Unless if I happen to date another person whom is Latin@ and white. But it'd still be multi, anyway.

5. Hexagon

Never had a relationship :frowning2:

6. Bolin

I also tend to notice more interracial relationships between LGBT* people, most likely for the reasons listed by above posters. I'm in one myself. I'm black, my boyfriend's white.

7. Hun

Hun

I've been in a relationship before, but never an interracial one. That being said, I would never mind dating someone of a different race than me. It's just the colour of skin, nothing else.

8. Wells

Wells Guest

Ive only known one gay couple, one of which was english, the other spanish. As for straights, my mums white my dads black, my mums friend is mixed race and with a black man... Yeah :slight_smile:

9. Amerigo

never had a relationship :slight_smile:

10. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I clicked on the wrong thing! I'm forever alone :frowning2:

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´m a halfblood (white x native american) and my boyfriend is a mixblood (white, south american native x black) I don´t know where that puts us?

12. castle walls

I have never been in a relationship with someone that is the same race as me. I didn't do that on purpose. It just worked out that way

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we're all one race, and that's human. But to answer the question, I'm 3/4 white and 1/4 native American background, not sure if that means anything, but that's what I am and I've "dated" two people and they were both from Caucasian backgrounds. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never had a relationship and would date any girl. No matter what skin color, no matter how her hair is, no matter what are her eyes color, no matter how her eyes look like. People who care for this over the personality sucks. Personality for me is everything.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I've never been in real relationship. :icon_sad: But I don't see a reason why I wouldn't form a relationship with someone I was attracted to just because they are a different race. So far I've dated only white and Latino guys though.

16. IrishEyes1989

It wasn't an LGBT relationship but my first boyfriend was half Jordanian. I still have a thing for Middle Eastern guys. I love the strong jawlines and gorgeous, deep eyes :slight_smile:

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Realistically, I'm probably some combination of three of four different "races", even if only feature of one or two are obvious. Even within my own ethnic group, the lines between race and nationality are blurred; have been for several hundred years.

I've had two relationships with Mexican-Americans, a fling with a German-Hungarian-Irish, a strong crush on a Filipina... It doesn't matter.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I'm white and he's white. I've said it before and took a lot of flak for it, but I'm just not into anyone other than white people from a sexual/attraction standpoint. I hate racism and I hate profiling and prejudice, but I don't find people of other races/ethnicities (sp) attractive.

19. WallWeed

I've never been in a relationship, but as a Caucasian (with traces of Hispanic), two out of the three people I've had a serious, long term crush on have been multi-racial (one Caucasian/African American/Native American, the other African American/Asian/Hispanic).

Race has never affected attraction for me. *shrug*

20. robotman

I love interracial relationships. I definitely see myself in a interracial relationship when I finally meet someone and come out (I am just generally attracted to people that are a different race to me). My family is pretty mixed, so I guess that is why I embrace different races =).