1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University freshers 2013

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Islander, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea for those of us who are going to start university shortly to have our own thread where we can discuss being lgbt and what this means at university. So I'll start:

I am out to no one at the moment, but hope to be subtly out from the start, I.e by wearing rainbow wristbands and waiting for people to ask. I hope that I have the courage to do this first, though! There is a LGBT group at my university, but I don't know how active it is. I will be in London, so hopefully it will be s relatively accepting atmosphere.

So what about you? Are you fully out, and if not, do you plan to come out at university? How accepting is your university? What are you most looking forward to once you leave home?

2. BudderMC

I would say generally speaking that university is a more accepting environment than most places. Partly generational, as most of the newer generation doesn't have issues with LGBT people, and partly due to the whole "higher education" thing leading to openmindedness.

I'm not a freshman, but I came out over my second year of university since I only really accepted that I was gay in my first year.

3. Amerigo

you'll be safe and happy in london :slight_smile:

i plan on finally coming out at university, or rather, not hide the fact that i am gay, when i start my second year. i'll be far away from home (very far) so hopefully it'll give me time to get used to "out" life. my university is in a [supposedly] very gay friendly country, i'm hoping the locals are too, i'm glad i'm moving there and not elsewhere. i hope to return with confidence in who i am, and be out in my native country when i return to it in a year's time.

4. FloatingPiano

Hello, I'm going to be a freshman at an art school this fall. It is a very gay friendly campus, so I don't think I'm going to have problems there. I plan on be very out at college.

I'm just nervous about making new friends. However one of my best friends (and first person I came out to actually) will be attending the same college with me, so I feel better knowing I will still have her for support.

5. photoguy93

You know what will happen? Unless you go to the most backwoods school in the most backwoods location...... Probably nothing will happen, haha.

In my years at college, I've discovered....really no one gives a shit. just be open and yourself and you'll find your way.

6. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not out (except for one person and you guys/gals) but I plan to use college as an opportunity to come out. I hope to attending an LGBT-centric event at our welcome week and hope to work up the college to join an LGBT organization on campus.

I'm pretty sure that most of the university is accepting, but I will be studying in a traditionally white, middle aged, straight field and have heard that the majority of the university's conservative population will be staying in the same living community as me. My roommate sounds like he might be accepting though, wish me luck and good luck to the rest of you!

7. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to a women's college in the first state in the US to establish marriage equality, 20 minutes away from the town that is frequently known as "the lesbian capital of the world." I'm happy as a clam :slight_smile: (34 Days until I move in!)

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm going to community college for a couple years to get my associate's before transferring to get my bachelor's at university. Don't plan on being out as trans* until I start seeing a therapist so perhaps I can finally figure myself out. I'm checking into the LGBT group on campus- I'm a bisexual either way and I know the school and city's fairly liberal.

9. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm two years from University, I still have to do my International Baccalaureate, equivalent to the A-levels.

I'm definitely living more openly when I go to uni in the United Kingdom, where I believe it's much more accepting because of it's multiculturalism. Then I can start living the dream. c:

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going into my third year of college, but this will be the first year that I am going to go as male. I still have to live in the female hallway, but I can live with that.

College is really accepting. I was out as pangender at college. I got some questions, but those were just people that were trying to understand. I still do consider myself to be pangender, but I'm just on the male end of the spectrum.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm going off to University in February, and I'm planning on being completely out. I've already discussed enrolment plans with an advisor and I've mentioned my transgender status, which they're completely ok with.

I'm eventually going to get into campus activism, and there's a huge LGBT presence and group on-campus that I'll be a member of. I'm hoping that at some point, I can do presentations and/or public speaking on University grounds as part of my activism plans. Or if not, that's fine with me too.

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to university at the end of september. Scared that I'm not going to make any friends, it will be awful if I don't.

13. rose94

I'm going to university too this year. I am planning on wearing an unobtrusive necklace/wristband and just seeing if and when people notice. I am planning on joining the LGBT group at the university. I'm not out to any family members, so I'm hoping that university will also be a chance for me to live openly for the first time.

14. fluffyhandcuff

I'll start university in October and I think people will ask soon, about boyfriends and stuff. And I've decided to say that I'm lesbian from the very beginning. I never outed myself at school because people always thought of me as a straight girl, I just didn't know where to start. But if someone at university asks, I'll be honest. I hope I will. I plan to be.

15. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I'm going off in a month, and my plan is to be completely open, as ever. I'm attending a school in the city (San Francisco) and I plan to make the most of it.

16. Aielar

I'll be going to university in september (after three years at community college) and I plan on being out right from the very start. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it subtly or just bluntly, but either way I'm going to be open from the very start of classes. Good luck to everyone else :slight_smile:

17. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi :grin:. I'm going to uni next year. I live closer to Toronto at the moment so it's a little more liberal, but I'll be in in a more conservative area to study next year. I'm out to a couple of friends but wouldn't think I'd like to come out in university. I think the only event that'd prompt me to come out fully is if I was in a relationship, which isn't happening soon (studying). I'm also financially dependent on my parents, and especially my father, who pays for my tuition, and while I'd doubt they'd stop supporting me financially at least, they'd definitely look at me differently. It's good in Canada, unfortunately not that good, at least for dependent people.

18. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Starting college in few weeks! Most of the important people in my life already know I'm lesbian but it's not like a widely known thing. I'm planning on doing the same thing a few others have talked about once I start college. I'll wear my rainbow bracelet and if and when the conversation comes up, I'll be honest about it. The community at my school is very accepting, so I'm not too worried about that. The only thing I'm kind of nervous about is my roommate. She seems nice enough, but I have no idea where she stands on this issue.

I'm really excited to be fully out though. It'll be nice to be able to meet people and let them see the real me without having a big secret constantly weighing me down :icon_bigg

19. BornInTexas

I'm going into my first year of university this fall. I already joined my college's GSA, and they have a policy to where if said person isn't out to their parents or others, you cannot see it as a club on the person's college account that is accessible to parents. :slight_smile:

I plan on being out in college, and hopefully word won't reach home. It most likely won't though, because the city the college is in is REALLY big, and the only people I know there will be my friends and brother. Maybe a few more classmates, but they'll probably not see me.

A lot of people say that no one really gives a shit who is LGBTQ. People are there to earn their degree. It's a public college, too, so no one should give a shit anyhow.

Being away from my parents and home is going to be the most I look forward to when I leave. I'll come back on the weekend, but I'll be working hopefully, so I won't see them as much.

Hopefully this thread will stay alive to post our weekly ramble or something. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I don't get my boyfriend as a roommate (We did request each other, and we'll find out tomorrow), then it might be a problem to my roommate if he's straight. I just googled "My roommate is gay" and I found all sorts of advice columns from straight men and women in that situation, and most of them apparently are afraid of being raped or hit on.