1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you accept yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FucSoc, Jul 24, 2013.

1. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

Do you accept yourself? if you do, did it take you a long time to accept and love yourself as a gay, trans etc. ?
    I know people who hate themself because of their sexual orientation or gender identity and I know people who have no problem to accept themselfs from the beginning.

For me-
    I was embarrassed and ashamed by the fact that I am attracted to women, but with each passing day I love it more and more.
    Right now I feel like my attraction to women is the best thing in the world and I'm so glad I'm attracted to them!♥ but there are those days when I still feel ashamed..

what about you?

2. MrBrightside

Nah i dont accept myself at all. I know im gay, my friends know im gay but it just eats away at me constantly, and erodes my confidence.

To me its like all my dreams have been snatched away, taking my kids to their first football match, having a family, my dreams all rotate around the wife and kids model...

Im not the kinda guy thts gay either, i love football, the pub, the bookies, all male dominated places with plenty homophobia... I just feel i dont fit in anymore, its like im not as much of a man as the rest, im different.

I dunno, its just the worst thing in my mind, and trying to face up to it and accept it is a soul destroying task because of my own mind more than anything else.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe too easily. The thought of having sexual feelings terrifies me.

4. Hexagon

Yeah. I love being pansexual. As for being trans, I accept it because I have no other choice.

5. Beware Of You

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

6. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i accept that I like women and that I wont marry a man and will have to fight harder to get acceptance but that doesn't mean I wouldn't change it if I could because id like to not to have to deal with the tough things that happened because I am gay, I guess I accepted it when I came out of the closet to myself before that I went through stages of telling myself I would grow into having feelings for men and what I felt was normal.

7. Abbra

I do accept myself. I'm happy that someday, I will get to be with one woman for the rest of my life. I like women. When I finally get to fall in love and stay with one forever, that will be the greatest day of my life. There are days when life is harder, and maybe I don't want to be gay. At the end of the day though, when I see the girl that I like laughing at one of my jokes, I know that this is right. Being a lesbian is part of my destiny, and I'm going to embrace it even through the rough times.

8. Wells

Wells Guest

When im on EC I do, I feel really comfortable with it. But at school, when I hear fucking homo or fag ori hate gays I feel like crap bout myself. Hopefully I wont feel like that over these summer holidays. I kinda wish I could meet a girl I loved and make a happy family though... But I guess that'll never happen :frowning2:

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love being gay, and accept it fully :slight_smile:

10. thatoneguy81

I've known that I was gay since I was 12. It took me a fairly long time to accept myself being gay because I never really thought I was gay until that day when I suddenly became attracted to men instead of women. I always thought I was straight before then and that it wasn't possible for me to be gay because I was so attracted to women. My parents also forced upon me that gay marriage is wrong etc... So I felt really uncomfortable with accepting myself. Then when I was 13 I finally accepted myself and learned not to fight who I really am..

11. LinkLarkin

This is a tough one. I've pretty much accepted, maybe 90%, but there are still days when I can't help but think about all the things I wanted for myself which I can't have anymore, and about how being in a minority could alienate some of the people close to me. I'm feeling a lot more self accepting since joining EC, and the few people I've come out to made me feel better, so I think when I'm fully out I'll be a lot more comfortable with the path ahead of me. Oh and in terms of how long it took me to get to this point, I was 15 or 16 when I began questioning and 19 when I could no longer deny my sexuality, so it's been quite a process.

12. timo

I always thought I accepted my sexuality straight away but looking back, it turns out I didn't. While I did not hate it, I used to be very embarrassed about being gay and found it hard to talk about it, but lately I'm opening up more and more. To the point of openly (kind of) flirting with other guys.

Being gay doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up your dreams. It might not be "wife and kids" and I'm not going to pretend it's the same, but "husband and kids" seems reasonable. A lot of gay guys want to start a family too :slight_smile:

13. evora

It's an interesting question because I don't have a simple yes or no answer to it.
    I guess in a way I do, but it's the same way as I accept I have a brother or that my eyes are blue, or that people age. It's just a general fact about me and something I can't change. This is me, it's who I am and have always been.

But when I start to think about it all, it's more complicated than that. I've accepted that this is me, I'm alive (probably for a long while) and I can't change that. BUT, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with it. Sometimes I am but most of the time I'm not. And I still can't figure out what my reason for that is. Is it because of what my family (whom I love) would say or is it because I don't want to have these feelings? Do I really care what others say, or is it actually me who has a problem with it? Does it genuinely bother me so much that I can't bring myself to say 'it's okay to feel this way' ?

^This is another problem of mine...and I'm actually having them and I just want to disappear forever.:help:

14. Niko

I do accept myself as trans* and being gay. It didn't take me very long, because I was just happy to have finally figured out what I was feeling my whole life and that I wasn't alone in the world.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I accepted myself for being bisexual long ago. But I haven't gotten to the point where I can finally accept myself for being trans*. Still dealing with self doubt, anxiety over it, lots of "oh, it's probably an autistic thing and I'm stupid for thinking this means something."

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come to grips with my sexuality when I was 14. I'm still conflicted when it comes to being trans*. I have moments where I want to physically beat myself and slam my head into walls because of how frustrating being in this position makes me. On top of that, I have anxiety on top of that, not so much anxiety towards being trans* itself, but anxiety and fear over leaving the house and my safety because of the people who publicly out me.

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude, I don't fit into the Gay Stereotypes either, I am a Masculine Guy, People assume that I am Straight because of this, I can blend into any Straight Guy situation & no one would be the wiser, it took me along time to accept myself as being Gay, but I got there in the end, you should read about the Famous Welsh Rugby Player Gareth Thomas, he had it all Wife, Family.

Gareth Thomas | My family values | Sport | The Guardian

It was killing him to live a Lie, but he finally came to accept himself being Gay & to learn to love himself :slight_smile:

We are who we are & we have to make the best of our lives, judging by how high the Divorce rates are in the UK, Straight People don't have it that good & there is nothing to stop you from having Kids, lot's of Gay Couples get female friends to carry their child for them, or even adopt a child, look at Elton John, it's only Homophobia of the past that has made being Gay look bad, but that's changing Dude, being Gay is turning into a positive thing, being Masculine & Gay is becoming more acceptable (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

18. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Acceptance does not equate to love.

Yeah, I've complete accepted myself as gay, as in I cannot love a girl sexually. I've gotten past the point where being gay matters in anything that I do anymore. I mean I don't like myself very much but being gay now really has no influence on it because either way I'm not attracting a mate.

But I will say that I am slightly thankful for being gay because it's moved me from the ultra-conservative, right wing, fascist and intolerable views to being more open minded and acceptance of whatever comes my way.

19. leer

am gay & am proud of it .
    I have had the conversation about having children with family & friends on a few occasions and honestly am not interested .

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been fine with others seeing me as bisexual for the last two or so years, but have only recently given serious thought to the idea of being more gay than straight, and working towards self-acceptance and embracing those same-sex attractions.

Still question from time to time, but have also decided that my sexuality does not define me as a person. As a double minority, I'm used to living between the lines, so to speak.