1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone on dialysis or know someone who is ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gavguy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Some of you may have already read in various forums that I am soon to start dialysis, but for the rest of you I will be going into hospital within the next few weeks to have some tubes fitted into the base of my neck to start dialysis.
    This is something which is very frightening indeed and I would be interested to know if any member of EC has similar problems, on dialysis, or knows of someone who is having treatment ?
    Also how have you managed to cope with this situation ?
    I have had various tests apart from one to see if I am suitable to go on the transplant list so at the moment it's just a matter of waiting to hear about things and the exact date I will be going in to the day care unit.

2. Hexagon

I can't really help with your situation. I don't know anyone who's been through it. Just wanna say that... good luck. I hope you can get a transplant.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you wish to tell us what the cause of kidney failure was?

4. gavguy

gavguy Guest

The hospital isn't really sure what caused it, they said it could be from taking Ibuprofen tablets which I took when I had my neck accident but that's about it, not much to go on and I was diagnosed with Kidney problems in 2007 after a routine blood test showed elevated levels in my Creatinine and they have been getting worse ever since.

---------- Post added 25th Jul 2013 at 08:52 PM ----------

Many thanks for your support

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you have a lot of inflammation from the neck accident?

6. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Yes I did and in a lot of pain, but little did I know that they would cause this (If this is the case anyway) and I even made sure I took the tablets on a full stomach

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work for an expert in renal diseases, he's in the office next to mine. I asked him about this. It appears NSAIDs like ibuprofen are nephrotoxic, but that renal function normally resumes when the drug is stopped.

Did they check for AA amyloidosis?

---------- Post added 25th Jul 2013 at 12:15 PM ----------

From what I know of hemodialysis, it is a common procedure that has to be performed carefully. I know it's scary, no way to mitigate that, but you need it to live, so the alternative is far worse.

My thoughts will be with you, and I would very much like to find out how it goes once you've started!

I asked about the AA amyloidosis because it is a disease that is strongly associated with inflammation. If you stopped the NSAIDs and renal function continued to decline this disease is usually checked for (biopsy I believe).

#7 greatwhale, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Thank you for your concern and I will of course keep EC posted regarding this, I don't know about AA amyloidosis, but I did go to have a kidney biopsy but the veins were too damaged or something like that to be able to get a sample of tissue, they were also going to try and put a stent in several years ago without success. So many things have happened and with various tests.

9. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandma was on dialysis (three times a week) for nine years, because she refused to accept a new kidney because of religious reasons. At first it was really hard for her, but after a while, she actually enjoyed going, because we all became like family with the nurses. As far as the actual mechanics of it, I think the most important thing is always and ardently request that EVERYTHING is explained to you in detail, and if something sounds fishy, read up on it online, or get a second opinion from another doctor. If you feel like something is wrong with your port/iv/any equipment, or you feel ill, ask about it. The way my grandma died was because of an infected port, and she refused to bother the doctor about it until it was to late. Making sure your health is being properly taken care of is SO important, and sometimes doctors and nurses forget that everybody doesn't understand medical jargon. I wish I could give you more advice, and best of luck and health! Definitely sending a virtual hug(*hug*), I know how hard it can be at first, but just keep swimming:slight_smile:

10. gavguy

gavguy Guest

(*hug*)
    Thank you for your nice post :icon_bigg
    I have seen my local dialysis unit where I will go in the end, but until then I will have to attend a London hospital three times a week, and I will be connected to the machine for four hours each time.
    Adding on the travel to and from the hospital which they did say they would arrange the transport, it works out then nearly half a week gone just to stay alive :tears:

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As was posted above, you have to be a strong advocate for your own health, ask questions and if anything, and I mean anything doesn't seem right, do not hesitate for a minute to mention it, and more than once if necessary.

Sepsis, or infection is a problem in dialysis, ask what they are planning on doing to prevent this (what their "aseptic technique" or protocol is) and watch that they are doing do it correctly, every time!