1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Be scared] People Dimensions [The Walrus is being Serious!]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, May 7, 2008.

1. InaRut

So I think once in a blue moon I'm allowed to be serious...and post something serious...and hopefully I won't cause the collapse of Empty Closets by confusing the members of EC to a point where they can't post anymore.

Today at work we were talking about my team that I work with. Currently I'm on a different team (just for the week) and I was talking to someone who is also from my team but did the crossover too. So we get gossiping about everyone. Who we like to work with and who we don't like to work with and blah blah blah.

Anyways as this conversation continues we get talking about this one girl. This particular girl on my team is really...emotional blanket-y if you catch me. She cries alot...and she's mopey...and she always has something wrong with her...and her life is just one big screw up. You know the kind, I'm sure. So we got to talking about, "What is her deal." Then I learned "her deal" and now everything is from a new perspective.

Then I learned about the other oddities of our team. And what happened to them that made them that way. And now Mr. Angry seems like Mr. Defense Barrier and Mrs. Annoyin is Ms. Supermom. and the more I was told about these people the more I realised something. I've been such a fool.

Back in highschool...when there was someone I didn't like I would always try and find a third dimension to them. Something to make them not so bad. But when I was at work I looked at all these people one dimensionally. Like he's angry guy...because he's just an asshole. But no...There is so much to him.

And I heard about this lady of our team who is a real wingnut. I mean she's got a wierd walk and she has problems with formulating conversation. But I heard something about her that brought a hurt to my heart. Apparently she use to be really beautiful. And now she isn't so. She's got a wierd limp to her because she got in a car crash and everyone at work talks about her behind her back. Even her own son who works in the same factory as us apparently blows her off. You realize how much that must hurt? Yet she walks around friendly and sunshine. And yet people still make fun of her.

I mean I wasn't exactly nice to her either. She would start to try conversation with me and I would be like, "Oh.":dry: "Yeah" you know...kinda a jerk. But I think after hearing about her I can treat her more like a human being.

And this is where I give advice. It seems that it's easy to judge people. It's easy to put yourself on a throne infront of those many peasants of your life. But even if it is easy it's not right. We need to realize that we are all people, who all have the same problems, who all have the same emotions. We all feel and we all hurt. So next time you see someone who is downright annoying...downright disgusting...or downright crazy...realize that we all have many dimensions to us, it's just that some will show it, while others will hide it.

Also Because it's alot harder to judge someone when you see people instead of peasants.

Oh and this whole day totally reminds me of the movie, "Babel"...

>_> and I wrote this the minute I got home from work so excuse me if I sound completely retarded. I'm sure there is some sagely advice in there somewhere.

(*hug*)

2. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

:tears: the part about the lady who had a car crash yet everybody makes fun of her even her son was really sad... yah... i hope would treat her differently(better) next time...

3. davo-man

Damn, Phil, you saved up all the serious-ness for one go, didn't you?

That was a really good post, and it really is true. We can't walk around judging other people when we don't know what's going on in their lives. And, don't worry, I'm completely guilty of it too, but I'm gunna try not to, cos I do it way too much

4. pirateninja

Wow, that was actually serious. :eek: Are you feeling alright?

All joking aside, what you say is true, and I have been guilty of exactly the same thing as you, and probably everyone has at some point.

Even if you being serious is completely out of character, at least you posted something good by doing so. :thumbsup:

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *raises hands* Guilty. Even though my new year's resolution was to be non-judgemental, I still sometimes see a person I don't like and think mean things about them. I really should stop doing that...

Great post!!

And since even a walrus has many dimensions to him, I won't go 'whoa' for him being serious, because although humor is one of his dimensions, so apparently is seriousness. :slight_smile:

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely excellent post, and it is so true, I hope it gives people a new perspective on things, myself included

7. Jim1454

Very true Phil. Thanks for the reminder.

I know I have a brand new appreciation for people, having dealt with coming out (at least partially) and dealing with an addiction. Now, when someone seems to be struggling at work, my first reaction isn't "what a lazy jerk". Instead I wonder if they've got something else going on in their life that they're struggling with.

We certainly do need to look beyond the surface and see what's inside before we come to any conclusions about others.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ah Phil........that was great and so true!

We also need to remember that about ourselves too. We see ourselves as being overweight, or too thin, or not attractive enough, too this or too that instead of realizing that we are human beings with souls and that we should love ourselves and have confidence in ourselves. It reminds me of this man I saw on TV the other day born with no arms and legs who goes out into the world and inspires people every day to live their dreams. We all go through struggles in our lives whether you are borh with disabilities, or you have tragedies in your lives that leave you with physical struggles, or you are born gay! How are you going to overcome that? Are you going to sit around and feel sorry for yourself or are you going to go out and live your dreams? That person who may be "mopey" or "emotional" may not have learned to overcome yet. Maybe she hasn't met that person who is going to show her how but the fact that you (Phil) have gained empathy for her is something to proud of. People at your age often don't get that until a much more mature age, I don't think. I've seen that alot with gay people. I think its probably because you go through so much more than the average teenager with self-discovery and acceptance.

Did any of that make sense?

9. Jim1454

Of course it did! And it left with a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling - mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

10. InaRut

Aww Becky you always have to up my post :frowning2:

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, no, no....I wasn't trying to up your post Phil. (*hug*) I was adding to the dimension of it. Your post was magnificent! Truthfully!!!