1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wasn't sure where to post this but I figured Chit Chat works. Interesting article I found on Forbes about 20 Things 20-Year-Olds don't get. This includes those in their 20s like myself (trust me, there are a few I've found on the list I do badly at) but also those teens who are working age and up (so about 15 or older?), the Millennials as they're often called. This is also for you. And don't just look at it and be like "I have to read this much?" because if that's the case, then it's REALLY for you :wink:

20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get - Forbes

2. LinkLarkin

I don't have a proper career yet as I haven't graduated, but I'm certainly guilty of a handful of these in my current summer job! Thanks for sharing, this is a really interesting read and I've definitely taken some of these tips to heart! :slight_smile:

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

“We’re raising a generation of sh-t talkers” – Stop generalizing younger workers. I know plenty of people in their twenties who are incredibly responsible, humble and hard working. This is advice that can be applied to anyone, regardless of their age."

So true!.. In all the jobs I've been in I've always been the most if not, one of the most hard working employees.. But some jobs you just don't get recognition.. until you give them the notice.

But then again, thats all I am.. hard working nothing else :'(

4. ScatteredEarth

I can relate to some of these.. I feel old now

5. AKTodd

Hmm. I've been to a couple of conferences that included talks on Millennials in the workplace. One particularly annoyed me because the speaker seemed to take the position that they need to be coddled all the time or they will take their macbook and their iphone and go somewhere else. My immediate response to that is that a few days without eating while living in an alley will probably modify that attitude.

I work in corporate training and deal with folks of all ages and backgrounds. To the list above, I would add:

a) Nothing you have to say on your phone/text/twitter/whatever is of any importance whatsoever as far as your employer is concerned. We will let you put your phone on vibrate in case you get an emergency call (which means death or a least a trip to the ER). Otherwise stay off it while in training and really limit your use at work. Or you may find yourself fired.

b) The fact that you can fog a mirror does not entitle you to anything. Acting as though any restrictions on your behavior is 'disrespecting' you because you are just so freaking wonderful (mommy and daddy always say so) will make you unemployed very quickly.

c) Your boss expects results, not excuses.

d) The rules apply to you too. When you are told on day one that attendance in training is mandatory, that means you will need to cancel your plans if they conflict. Not that the company needs to modify its training process to accommodate you.

e) If you bring your parents into a work related situation (you mother calling your boss wanting to know why you didn't get the cube near the window that you want, for example), you have probably just signed your career's death warrant at that employer. That tingling you feel is the big invisible target being painted on your chest by your boss and/or HR. They will find a way to get rid of you. Oh yes they will. They have ways and you've just given them every reason in the world to use them.

Anyway,

Todd

6. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try my best to do most of these things because my parents taught me to. Admittedly I am guilty of a few of these though...

7. Really interesting, though I disagree with the idea that talent is "overrated". On a professional level, that may be so, but talent is one of those things that can bring great joy in life. Everything that is useful for moving up in the career world is beyond valuable, but there's more to living than that.

8. justjade

That's a great list. That's fucking smart. :slight_smile: