1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This type of reaction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Hexagon

You know people who apparently have no problem with gay people, so long as they're not attracted to them? What do you say to them? And do you think that this is a legitimate stance, or is it still caused by prejudice or fear?

Because I doubt that many people are truly afraid of getting raped by people of the same gender, just because they're attracted to them. And I don't think they'd react the same way if it were someone of the opposite gender who was attracted to them and they weren't interested in dating.

I usually try to find a way to assure them that I'm not attracted to them without calling them ugly. Which can be a challenge, sometimes.

2. FightingShadows

Actually, this is what my own parents say all the time. And honestly, I have NO idea what to say back to them. I just let them say it even though I think I should defend the whole LGBT community. But saying something against parents is kind of hard :confused:

3. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand the idea of being creeped out by someone being attracted to you; there's a girl at school who's a total asshole and while I don't think she's attracted to me (or anyone is, for that matter), I wouldn't like it if she were.

4. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd just ask this question in response: "Should a gay person be uncomfortable in the presence of a straight person of the opposite sex?"

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's still a form of homophobia, IMO.

6. Sarcastic Luck

I'd feel that way towards anyone attracted to me that I wasn't interested in. It's not really fun to have someone interested in you that won't get a hint that you don't feel the same towards them.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That just it though, you will always get the Homophobe, who thinks that just because your a Gay Guy, then you must be attracted to everyone that has a Penis :slight_smile:

8. Hrantou

I hate that so much. So many guys I've met have said that.

Although I understand how it feels to have someone that into you but you don't feel the same. In my case it was multiple girls (I wish it was guys) Always makes it awkward after that. Still is a bit annoying when people think it of you just because you happen to like their gender. :bang:

9. AKTodd

When I was in college, I had a housemate and a few friends or co-workers who expressed concern in this area. The conversation usually went something like this:

Todd: Yeah, I'm gay.

Other: Um. You know I'm straight/not into that, right?

Todd: Oh sure, and no worries. You're not my type (Or: "I don't find you in any way attractive anyway." if I was feeling particularly snarky)

Other: What!? Why not?!

Todd: Ok, say that again and listen to yourself this time.

Other: Umm. Ok, I see your point.

At this point the conversation would usually move on. The key point was to not make a big deal of it and to not act uncomfortable or embarrassed by it (it's just liking hot sweaty sex with other men, not killing kittens for fun or something else you should feel bad about doing after all), but just be very matter of fact about it. If they asked why my type was (which they rarely did), I would make a point of my 'type' not being anything like them (which was very easy actually since the first criterion was that the guy not be straight).

The most fun part was how many straight guys would really do the 'What!? Why not?!' thing. It got to be quite predictable and usually had me fighting not to laugh when it happened.

Oh, and if someone said anything negative (I don't agree with that lifestyle), respond without missing a beat "That's ok, I don't really care what you think.' or something similar. Never underestimate how offputting it is to people to be told 'I just don't care'.

Anyway, hope this helps,

Todd

10. Harve

Yeah, I guess most would want others to be attracted to them, but at the same time they'd feel a little uncomfortable if said person wasn't attracted back / it wasn't mutual. I get that. Like, if a straight girl found a gay guy attractive, the guy might be flattered, but if she started actually coming onto him and getting clingy or creepy then it's perfectly expected to feel uncomfortable.

But of course, some are ridiculously paranoid. It was a problem perhaps in secondary school but thank god everyone tends to mature by age 16/17 or so.