1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flag Burning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jul 26, 2013.

1. MerBear

What are your views on it?

Honestly, If you want to burn a flag, go right ahead. You have the right to express your views (mainly in the US under the first amendment)

2. Night

Night Guest

In general I believe it's disrespectful but whatever.

3. Harve

Although it doesn't hurt anyone in particular, it can be needlessly divisive. Just look at how it's used in Northern Ireland.

It would probably be better if flags didn't exist at all, but that comes close to saying that football teams should all wear the same kit colours.

4. Hexagon

Its childish. But hey, people do childish things all the time. Not my problem.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the whole outrage over flag-burning is way overblown. Besides, being an American really isn't something to be proud of outside America.

6. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I really don't approve of flag burning of the flag of any country. I mean you think about all the people who have fought and died for what they believed in and it isn't just an unpatriotic act, it's an act of disrespect to the people who have fought and died to keep you safe and to give you freedom and peace of mind. I'm not just talking about in recent years either I'm talking about hundreds of years of history that people have fought. To burn the flag which is a symbol of what they believed in is highly disrespectful to the dead. That's just my opinion of it. When you hold the flag of your country you hold your country in your hands and all the people that fought proudly for it with it. It's your choice to wave it or burn it.

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm against it. it's disrespectful towards those who are proud of America. I wouldn't do it cause I'm proud of my country, but I spit upon the decisions made sometimes.

8. UndercoverGypsy

Even in the U.S., there are lots of people who are completely ashamed of where they live.

9. starfish

Flag burning is an interesting thing.

The correct way to despose of old worn out flags is by burning them, and it is considered a respectful and dignified way to dispose of them. However when someone burns a flag in protest is is considered very disrespectful.

Here you have 2 actions which are the same, but that have very different meanings and emotions behind them.

Myself I consider burning the flag in protest to be the nothing more than attention whoring and anger mongering.

10. MerBear

disrespectful in your opinion, yes but They have the right to express themselves as long as its not putting anyone in danger.

Hell, I know people who burn bibles because they disagree with it.
    I mean, i'll burn an american flag because I don't agree with america on a lot of reasons but I will acknowledge that i am grateful to have the first amendment protect my rights but even if i did not have those rights, i would still do it because i'm expressing my disapproval. its a piece of cloth that has some significance but only applies to certain individuals who take their pride seriously but in my full right opinion, I believe if i want to burn a flag, then nobody should be allowed to stop me

You can disapprove and have your opinion but I do not believe anyone should have the right to stop me from expressing myself

11. Foxface

Amen Mer

a...men

When I became a Sergeant in the Air Force I was told something that STILL sticks with me. From a Sergeant above my pay grade

He said

"SSgt *****, A real soldier is a person who can wave the flag and fight one moment, and the very next moment watch an american burn the flag, all the time proud that you gave them that right"

THAT is freedom to me. To tell a person they can't say or do something because we don't agree is a very slippery slope

Foxface

12. MerBear

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow...contradicted myself in the sane post by saying I'm against it and then saying I wouldn't do it (implying that I would let somebody do it):lol:. Maybe I should articulate myself better. If you want to do, go right ahead. I, personally, wouldn't do it cause I love America although I don't like it at some moments in time.

14. UndercoverGypsy

MerBear and Foxface have got it right! It's freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and it's certainly not a bad thing (note that I have no idea about the background of this topic, but I agree in general with burning U.S. flags).

15. apostrophied

It's funny that in the US, flag burning is such a big deal. Is it really that common? In Canada, we never talk about it, and I've never heard of anyone burning the flag. It's a pretty foreign concept to me. As to my opinion on it, well, it's dumb, but I guess it should be legal. But if you're gonna do it, please make sure it's a cotton flag because if it's a nylon one, that's like burning plastic and *that* shouldn't be legal lol.

16. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Besides that I think its unneeded and unacceptable, it just hurts whatever cause you're fighting for and brings your negative perceptions up, it does more harm then good.

17. Foxface

but how does it do more harm? Who is it actually hurting? If a person next to me burns the flag (and mind you I am a veteran) and I don't let it get to me, where is the hurt?

I hate to be 'that guy' but that sort of thinking reminds me of another argument

"Gay marriage hurts society"

To me it's the same as saying flag burning hurts me or the cause

Foxface

18. Harve

I don't think you can say "it's freedom of speech/expression therefore it's fine" (correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I'm seeing your post): free speech can be used to repress or abuse others, and misinform the uninformed: that certainly isn't liberty. I see misinformation or hate speech as a greater evil than free speech as a positive anyway.

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's disrespectful.

20. Foxface

but it is freedom of speech. Why are people so afraid to have other people dislike their own country? I get so sick of the "if you don't like America then leave" bull crap. We should be allowed to show how we feel as long as we don't physically hurt people. If a protest turns into beating someone up then I will be happy to say "arrest them." But if someone protests America's decisions by burning a flag, then I am all for expression

I did NOT join the military to tell others they can show their displeasure of this country

Foxface