1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does hate originate from

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FreeFlow9917, Jul 26, 2013.

1. FreeFlow9917

Hey i have a question, where does hate come from. I know we aren't born with it but how does it develop in the first place, because all the crap in this hateful world are just cruel intentions of evil. Pardon my lanugage, but where the fuck does it come from; does it come from fear, animosity, or just propaganda.

2. Foxface

that's such a profound question. Is it ignorance? Self-absorbed behavior? Hard to tell

I suppose I would have to say ignorance...but I can't be sure I am 100% correct. And even if I was, the question would neccessarily follow...Where does ignorance come from?

Foxface

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fear, I think. Everyone has a natural desire to be above others, and those who are different are easy to claim superiority over. When those people fight back, the attitude of superiority is challenged, and the result is anger and hate over the apparent insolence of opposition to superiority. That's just my opinion, and it goes for hate between classes, religion, nations, ethnicities etc. I think there are other forms of hate, but this is the one you are talking about, as far as I can see.

4. MerBear

Hate? as in towards a group of people? I have no idea

as towards an individual person, i think it comes form experience with that person. I hate my sister? why? because she physically and verbally abused my mother and Now denies she did it after all those years

5. Hun

Hun

Hate cannot be traced to one source. It comes from an uncountable number of places and factors. Some of it is ignorance, some of it is fear. Who knows? Maybe that one person who just happens to be in a group was a total arse to you, and so you think you should be an arse to the guys who like them.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We aren't born with hate. Society teaches us to hate. Therefore, I gotta go with propaganda.

As far as toward an individual person, it sounds like experience can be a good quick answer.

7. FreeFlow9917

I mean all forms of hate towards people, groups, animals and things. I mean why do you hate in the first place at all. I learned never to hate others, but why have such animosity towards others.

8. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't hate anyone or anything... I mean I really dislike somethings and some people, but I don't hate them or want them to go away... That's a really profound question, we're friends now. :slight_smile:

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably say this leans more on the nurture vs. nature side of things (Although I'm sure there is some bit of nature in it). For example:

You remember flies. You hate flies. You LOVE to kill those freaking things. Why? They don't hurt you. In fact, they tickle. But you still hate them. Don't you remember these things from your parents?:

"Why are there flies in the house?!"
    "Goddammit, another fly!"
    "DIE, you bastard!" *while whacking with a fly swatter*

It wasn't until MUCH later that you realized why you should hate flies (although you already did), and that was that they spread lots of diseases. Mundane, common diseases, but still.

The same kind of thing is with SO many different families. An Afghani family could probably say that Americans are fat, immoral pigs to their kid at a really young age. That kid wouldn't really know how or why, but he KNOWS that Americans are fat, immoral pigs. He then goes to school or the muslim equivalent of Sunday School (I don't know if there's such a thing) and then learns even MORE about the fat, immoral pigs that call themselves Americans. And learns more about the obesity and the immorality that Americans just love to be involved in.

Here's something: Nazis. We hate Nazis. But have you ever thought that not all Nazis liked to do their job? That somewhere in the back of a lot of their minds that there was really something wrong with the system they were in? That they really had some moral issues with killing so many people? No. We never have. As enemies of Nazi Germany, we've been taught that ALL Nazis were stuck-up Aryan pricks who loved to kill anything in sight and take its land. But we've never thought that loads of them were driven through fear.

My favorite moment in ALL of history is the Christmas of WWI. Trench by trench, each soldier put his gun down and walked over no-man's-land to the other trench and held out his hand. Not with a knife in it. No grenades. He didn't hold out his hand to hit the other guy. It was to help him up out of the trench and befriend him. Germans and Englishmen, the French and the Italians became best friends over things like football, the casualties of war, families, etc. They sang, they danced, they played music, read stories together although they were in different languages, anything you would EVER do with your best friend. It was the most beautiful moment ever. It proved that nobody should ever be assumed of because everyone is a different person. And all those soldiers were fighting for one thing: Their country. And that was something else they could share over the battlefield.

The saddest moment in history was a week later, when the orders were given to both sides to continue fighting. People who were now and recently-made best friends had to now point guns and kill each other. WWI should have ended on Christmas.

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Religion.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stupidity. It's easier to think something is simple than to understand that it is complex and unworthy of a monolithic feeling like hate. People won't take the time to learn what LGBT is because there couldn't be any more to it than sissy fairies and bull dykes.

So basically the same reason half of everything else bad exists in the world.

12. Hrantou

Humans. As far as I know, its hard to find hate in any other species on Earth. But as for hate the emotion...Like some have said, many many factors and its different for everybody.

13. I think it originates from discomfort.

14. leer

I think hate come's in lott's of ways the main one I can think of is how people are raised by their family .

15. Hexagon

I'd imagine it originates from an urge to have negative emotions towards those you consider enemies. I mean, hey, even my cat can hate.

16. ScatteredEarth

Everything about society leads to hate. Whether it be religion, politics, to just your standard grudge with the neighbor kid. There really isn't anything to trace it back to unless you want to say the beginning of time. Because even if you are religious, then you would know that there are alot of things that God hates as well.

17. ASR29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The hate comes from people's lack of understanding. They are scared of anything different.

18. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know. Hate itself probably is caused by multiple things.

Maybe it comes from conditioning. By someone's actions. By propaganda and such. Your family, society teaching you to hate something.

But I don't know, haven't you ever had something/someone you hated? For no reason? Maybe you had a subconscious reason, I don't know, something programmed into you, maybe, a bad experience with someone with the same name or hair colour, a casual comment that you have long forgotten but that left you with a bad impression? But maybe, just maybe it was

I think hate is a natural emotion. A response to fear, discomfort, perhaps. But I don't know. I'm no expert or psychologist or anything, not by a long shot.

But, how do you know we aren't born with hate? Can you see inside a baby's mind, see any potential hatred? So how can you say that we aren't born with hate, as a fact? You can't.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Philosophers (and now neuroscientists) have been debating this for centuries. I think hatred is an environmental thing, including social/cultural influences.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it comes from different approaches to end results and the fact that people are competing for some of the same end results. It comes from not enough to go around, in my mind. Then there's always the need to assert oneself and feel superior. That's kind of primal and, once upon a time, the law of the jungle and "an eye for an eye" prevailed.