1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me or my sister?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rainbowfish, Jul 26, 2013.

1. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I am about to start my senior year of high school. Only a few close friends at this point are aware of my sexuality, and I had been planning on coming entirely out of hte closet this school year. However, when I talked to my sister about it, she basically begged me to stay closeted, so as not to interfere with her social standing (she will be a freshman). I honestly feel like there will not be an enormous amount of hate from other students, or I would never have planned on coming out in the first place. However, my sister's extreme negativity towards the idea is making think that maybe I tend to see the world through rose colored glasses. Part of me feels like what I do as far as being closeted is only my business, and if my sister values her reputation more than my happiness, she can deal with it. Yet another part feels like it is my job to protect her, and coming out would make her upset. When I came out to her, she said she didn't care and accepted me, but I feel like maybe that wasn't really the case:dry:.

Anyways, have any advice? I'm really kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

2. Rolando4

I'd come out. It's your life, and you deserve to be happy and free as much as your sister. Don't let her dictate the terms in which you come out. Besides, no one likes freshman regardless of their sibling's sexual orientation! And, most people will probably not even know you're siblings. It's sad she isn't way more supportive of you and just cares about her "popularity".

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's up to you, not her! I know Freshmen think popularity is everything to them, I had the exact same thinking lol. If you want to come out, so be it! It won't harm her in the least bit. Your excitement of coming out to the entire school makes me think you go to a pretty supportive school so I don't see any harm to her social status. I wouldn't say you're looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, I would say you're doing whatever makes you happy. You should let her know that coming out makes you happy and that you doubt that she'll encounter any troubles as she progresses through high school.

4. OhSOCurious

All i can simply say is that I understand your situation. It is a difficult standpoint to be in where you don't wish to hide your sexuality, but don't know how it will affect you or people you know as a result.
    Your feelings to protect your sister are well noted and show your high morals and it does make sense to preserve her reputation due to those protective feelings. At the same time it does seem slightly selfish of your sister to advise you not to share with your school about your sexual orientation, in hopes to ensure her a inclined social climb when starting high school. Also, it's not like coming out always has to be a public performance, (unless you want to) you don't have to stand up on a table at lunch or an assembly and announce that you're a homosexual. Here is my personal opinion as far as recommendations to your dilemma: (between a rock and a hard place LOL)

Optional: If you feel in any way offended that your sister would take an ensured social life for a transition into high school over your peace of mind with your sexuality, then confront her and express your feelings in a kind manner or what however you please.

First: Act upon your feelings to secure your sister's social life and come out when the situation isn't threatening your conscience or morals.

Second: Be sure that you are able to handle any criticism or negative comments if you do.

Third: (&&&) Know that no matter what, you will always have the EmptyCloset Family and Forum to rely on if you hit a rough patch. (&&&)

Love ya ;D (*hug*)

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:
    :newcolor: