1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jul 27, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For anyone out there, if you think you may have been exposed to HIV, go to the ER immediately, and ask for PEP drugs.

PEP - Post Exposure Prophylaxis

(This has been a public service announcement, because I had a feeling there's someone who might need to see this online tonight.)

2. LD579

I've heard of this. Is it really publicly and readily available to all now, though? I also thought it's quite costly, and that it's not merely handed out to others. If people are in dangerous and risky exposure situations and such, for instance (Like having bareback orgies... for example), it's unlikely they'd 'qualify'.

Furthermore, it's about a month of tons of drugs, is it not? Those drugs also have tons of very notable side effects, and it seems that many can't go a whole month with all of those side effects. Lastly, it's not 100% effective.

It still can be an option, though.

Here is what I've read of it... Perhaps they're more straightforward and such than the site you linked.

1. Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States </P><P>Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

2. AIDS Information, Education, Action, Awareness | TREATMENT AFTER EXPOSURE TO HIV

3. Accessing HIV post-exposure drugs | Daily Xtra

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I recently learned about these drugs during a health education training session. Supposedly the side effects are hell though, but if you think you might have contracted HIV, definitely go for it and get the PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis) drug.

There's also the the PREP (Pre Exposure Prophylaxis), which is the pill you are supposed to take every day if you don't have HIV that's supposed to help prevent you from gettingit, which would probably be of more interest to most people here. CDC - Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) - Research - Prevention Research - HIV/AIDS

Despite the downsides and costs right now, these are somewhat exciting developments in the field of helping to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The cost of PREP is high, but has proven effective on a practical level for sero-discordant couples (one who is positive and other, negative), but condoms are used always, no matter what treatment one is on.

For PEP, as above, the cost is high and the side effects are not pleasant....but compared to the alternative...and it only lasts a month.

5. ScatteredEarth

I would assume that these drugs were to be covered under a basic health insurance plan and even Medicaid. I'm not so sure on the effectiveness of them but it's definitely something that I would be willing to try if I thought I was exposed. That's the last thing I want is an HIV.