1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA and Europe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Jul 27, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems to me that some Americans think of Europe as being like the United States in the sense that the different countries of Europe are like the different states in America. When its not, Most European countries have there own language, country and often their own Currency. Often I hear Americans say I want to live in Europe but there are lots of different countries in Europe with very different ways of life. Britain probably has a more similar way of life to the USA than Italy for example. Also you can't really compare America and Europe economically as there some thrid countries in Europe like eastern European countries and there are rich countries like Germany.

What do you guys think on this?

2. NouvelleVague

I'm from Europe :slight_smile: We do have the euro as currency, but not all of us do (See: the UK is the best example)
    And I can testify that lifestyles differ from one country to another. See, if I go from Belgium to South France (We're like neighbour countries...) We're gonna be leading such different lifestyles. Even within Belgium North and South are very different (Culturally). If you go to Nordic countries, and then compare it with Eastern Europe, there is absolutely nothing in common between them... We're not another 'USA' at all. We're united, but we have a lot of differences... Of course, you have some people like me that don't like their own country very much for several reason and prefer to identify as European more than ...say, for me, Belgian, just because it makes you a part of a bigger group, and you feel more open to others :slight_smile:

3. Gen

Gen

Well, I don't think any Americans are ignorant of the cultural variations in Europe. I believe when most Americans claim that they want to live in Europe, they are simply saying that they want to live somewhere in it. Similar to wanting to live in Canada.

Though in reality, America is far from uniform in the sense of its states as well. There are definitely drastically different appearances of the land, styles, and qualities of life so I believe the same could be said about most areas of the world.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been and I know the European countries are all different from each other, way more so than the states could ever be. I have set foot in a total of 8 European countries. Some people go over there expecting to find America and are disappointed.

5. starfish

Well it is also worth noting that the US is a very big country and the culture can very greatly from city to city.

Honestly that is true of any geographically large area.

6. OhSOCurious

Guilty as charged for wanting to live in Europe (The United Kingdom to be exact). Except i know the differences between each country within the continent Europe.
    It's like saying every country in the continent North America is the same, when there is still Canada, USA, Mexico, Cuba and other smaller countries I cannot remember (no offense). And even USA it's self isn't [​IMG]
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think when Americans say Europe they mainly mean the great powers and Western Europe which consists of the following, Ireland, the United Kingdom, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Denmark and Austria.

And maybe in the smaller countries like Lichenstein, Luxembourg, Andorra, Monaco.

8. Hun

Hun

When I say "Europe," I mean the continent of Europe. I'll specify a country if I have to.
    Then again, I'm from Hungary, so my views may or may not be true to other Americans.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is pretty much it! Except that people ask about Miami Beach, so Florida needs to be given some territory.