1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it strange to have a fear of the country you grew up in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

This sounds dumb, but despite being a Scot I had to grow up in England. I never want to live there again, I don't know why I am like this, I only have really bad memories of it, I was never happy living there, I was bullied in school, I got called a " traitor" by a far right protestor for having a gay pride tee shirt on. Now you have all this UKIP fuss, even more crap going on. I am worried the equal marriage bill will make it worse since I am from a conservative part of it.

Last time I was over there I was in London and hated every minute of it.

The only time I ever go there now is because of family or work. I am going to see them next month and not looking forward to it.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All I can add to this is, Whilst living in England, I have met many people who have moved from Scotland to England & many of them, have said "That they would never move back to Scotland, in a Million years & are quite happy to be living in England" naturally I asked them why?

Now some of them are Catholics & some of them are Protestants, they told me that Sectarianism is fife in Scotland & the hatred towards you is pretty bad, depending on your religion & when they came to England, they were shocked to see Catholics & Protestants living & working together in harmony, the other thing they told me was that the risk of getting stabbed in Scotland was pretty high & they feel more safer living in England, I am no Anglophile by a long shot & Ireland holds my Heart, but I had to put forward the thoughts of a few fellow Scots into the mix :slight_smile:

3. Jameson

I see what you did there!

4. Harve

Yeah, I don't blame you.

But it's not all xenophobic Little Englander shite everywhere. I've never been to London but I would've thought it's a lot more cosmopolitan down there? Every country in the UK has its bad aspects.

5. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess some people are just reminded of there bad memories by certain places , there are certain places within London id rather not go back to so I used to avoid them like the plague , I went through a lot of bad stuff in my childhood so after teen year I ran away to the somerset for sixth form but after two years there I felt able to go back to London( well for less than sixth months )than I went on a gap yr and now I am uni in the midlens , I don't fear going back to London any more because I i faced my fears and visited my old school and realised that my friends and family ie the posatives out do the shit memories. Try not to let a few horrible people and memories ruin London for you it is not nice to fear a place , and those people shouldn't have that control over your life anymore, maybye start by seeing friend and family in places in London no where near where you have bad memories. For example i used to avoid south west London where i grew up but would quiet happily go to north London after all London is a big place.

6. Beware Of You

I never liked London anyway, same with the North where my family lives.