1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The_Poets, Jul 27, 2013.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Hey everyone so you know the acronym LGBTSTGNCPOC... well we can replace that with GSM. Gender and Sexual minorities, this new acronym is easier to remember and entirely inclusive. :help: Spread the word #GSM. (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

2. InactiveUser1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    JESUS CHRIST uh la la hahahaha

when i saw the name of ur thread i thought of Gsm as Gay SadoMasochism
    god im loling my ass out hahaahaha and i said WHOA do they actualy talk such harsh thingies here ? GREAT i can say my fantasys about Gay Sadomasochism hahahahahahhahahhaha

3. Munyal

That is way way easier than LGBTSTGNCPOC. I have heard it before. I am used to LGBT+ now, though.

4. Hexagon

I prefer queer, personally, but people won't change that easily. You have LGBT written on the sides of buildings, on webpages etc. Its here to stay.

5. UndercoverGypsy

I would like queer since it's not an acronym, but it kinda comes with negative connotations because it has synonyms like weird, strange, ect...

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You forgot about Q. :wink:

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told to use SSAGD, for same sex attracted and gender diverse, in anything official. GSM works too.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Gender and Sexual Minorities is a good option, but, sadly, not 100% inclusive since it leaves out romantic orientation and other people debate that it leaves out gender expression.

Hopefully in the next 10 years we are able to find a catch it all word that at least the vast majority can be happy with.

I'm personally rooting for queer, but its been just a hateful word in the past that it will take probably another generation or two to really get it going.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communications (or in French for Groupe Spécial Mobile), a standard of digital cellular phone communications used by European and some American cell phone carriers, such as AT&T and T-Mobile. (As opposed to CDMA, used by Verizon and Sprint)

That's what I'll always think of when I hear GSM, but most people will probably just have no clue what you're talking about if you use "GSM" in a conversation to mean "Gender & Sexual Minorities".

LGBTQ will have to do.

10. baileythebi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been a proponent of GSM for about a year now, and I definitely like it. Although the point about romantic orientation is a good one. GSRM - Gender, Sexual, and Romantic Minorities, maybe?

The big draw for me has been the "minorities" part because it doesn't feel the need to list what the minorities are (which always leads to groups feeling left out) but just states that the minorities are THERE.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use GSM most of the time.

12. Gibson85

How about MOE... Minorities of Everything. Plain and Simple everyone included that is different

13. UndercoverGypsy

While it's definitely inclusive, it doesn't really get you anywhere if you're talking about a certain minority group. You'd have to say "The LGBTQ section of the MOE community" which is very wordy.

Also, moe is Japanese slang in the anime community that refers to idealized attractive girls, so that might not do so well.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

MOE is Margin of Error.

15. UndercoverGypsy

Yeahhh... That too.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And ADEFHIJKMRUVWXZ. that letter is very important.

I'm also with Hexagon. Queer is an actual word, if we want labels. It covers both sexual orientation and gender. I'm not entirely against GSM since I've also liked the idea of OGSM (Outside the Gender-sexuality mainstream).

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

But not everyone in this community identifies as queer.

And if they do, LGBTQ has them covered, since Q stands for Queer.

But many people, in fact the overwhelming majority in this community, choose to identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Some people greatly prefer having their specific identities recognized rather than just being grouped into "queer". Other people still find the term "queer" offensive.

Plus LGBT(Q) is the only one of these many terms that is actually widely used and you can expect ordinary people to be familiar with and know what you are talking about.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. I'm not expecting the world to change in a day, nor am I going to try to force that. I know there are people who get offended by the word "queer" because it's constantly used as a derogatory term. But my guess is that as time passes, "queer" will be used more often in the LGBT community, since it's a simple term.

To me, letters are letters. And it's been clear that LGBT isn't going to stand forever, considering A. there are people creating new acronyms and terms, and B. It just gets WAY too confusing at a point.

I'm not offended if Queer is used, I'm not offended if LGBT is used, or if LGBTQA is used, or whatever. But the last time I remember, people don't really like complex things unless it's necessary. And the current term for the LGBT community obviously isn't. There have been multiple ways to cover everyone in the community in a much more simple manner.

19. Naren

Lol this.

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't see any reason to think the LGBTQ term is going anywhere....LGBT(Q) is pretty darn ubiquitous at this point.

LGBT community, LGBT people, LGBT center, LGBT-friendly, LGBT studies, LGBT caucus, LGBT bookstores...

Nobody actually uses GSM or any of these other acronyms. And "queer" is rarely used in the sense of trying to take the place of LGBTQ as a name for the whole community.