1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever thought their life isn't what they dreamed ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

When I was younger I had dreams of being a pilot in the far east , having a family, a cute girlfriend etc. Sadly being gay screwed that up for me, okay I can be a pilot but not in the far east just some depressing airline like Ryanair that I would never work for, I can't have a family or anything (I don't want to get married ever, regardless of sexuality) but Kids of my own I can forget.

I just hate it when 1 thing changes your life forever, for me that is my sexuality. Now I am just boring with nothing to look forward to. I wish I did more younger, I wish I could be someone else.

2. Lunarchy

Hey! You are not boring! And being gay might change everything, but there is always so much opportunities in the world! We are of the same age, and I still have so much left to do! We both do! We are still young, so stop talking like your life is over! (Also surrogacy is always an option!"

And I'll have you know that I am a pilot ^)^ and there are plenty of opportunities around the world for a gay pilot, you don't have to just fall into one line of work!

But as for the original topic, my life has turned out better than I expected, not quite to my dreams though. I always wanted to be an astronaut, because it has always been my dream to go into space, cliché i know, but it's my dream ^)^ And maybe one day, I will get there, but for now all I can do is live with the next best thing, flying through the sky like some sort of bird or something... that simile got away from me >)<

3. justjade

I know what you mean. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I wanted to design fabulous women's clothing. But then I came to terms with my gender dysphoria and then realized that I wasn't interested in that anymore. I'm not interested in being beautiful or making women beautiful anymore. I'm not interested in shopping like I used to be. I awkwardly avoid my sister's girls' nights. It's just changed everything. When I was young, I wanted to have kids someday, but then I realized I didn't want to be perceived as a woman, hence my trans-ness. So now, I don't want to have kids because pregnancy would be psychologically traumatizing for me, most likely.

Being trans literally changed my life, but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

4. OhSOCurious

I wouldn't put your sexuality down so much :frowning2: i mean sometimes i wish things had gone the other way xD
    But just because your gay doesn't mean you can't dream a new dream. Nothing is set in stone... the way you thought as a kid is far different from how you think now, and honestly no one can predict the future... you had no idea this was coming. Never stop dreaming, there is always something you can set a goal for :slight_smile: no matter what age, you're only in your 20's, i know it's not my place to say this, but your still young, and have your whole life ahead of you!

5. Beware Of You

I mean I am technically a pilot, I have a Private Pilots License but I only fly Piper Arrows, by now I hoped to be on a 737 or something, now I am doing a PhD research job just because I needed a job.

I just thought about it last year, the only airlines that are recruiting are Ryanair or Middle Eastern ones, I would never fly for Ryanair as a human factors expert I find their practices dangerous and well I am not going to live in a place that outlaws homosexuality, even though I will probably end up alone regardless.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In answer to your question, 99.999% of humanity feels that way.

I don't know how people do it, how they disregard their earlier dreams and just move on in life and take the first thing that works, regardless of whether they intended to do that in the first place.

My own career is a patchwork, but there is something to be said of taking an artistic attitude to shaping a life, doing something not because you had a plan (that never works) but because it seemed like a good idea at the time, it seemed to fit, like the right colour in the right place on a painting.

Being gay is NOT destiny, you need to let go of that idea, it may colour what you do, give it a certain shape, but it does NOT determine what you do, and that includes having children.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

All the time. Thought I'd have a book published before I was eighteen, be hailed as a teen genius.

Until I realized that not only was I not talented enough to have a publishable book before eighteen, but I had to actually finish a project before thinking about slapping it into a submissions folder.

At this rate, I'll be glad to be published before I'm forty-five.

8. Hexagon

Well since I dreamed I'd be an astronaut, and that I always dreamed, still do, and always will dream of leaving earth and starting a new colony far, far away, I'm not really surprised that my life isn't the way I dreamed.

9. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my life is pretty awful
    i was expecting smthng a bit better

10. Beware Of You

I guess I have stopped dreaming, they will never come true so what is the point?

11. Hexagon

Reminds me of this song: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItrO33Hg48[/YOUTUBE]

12. Bolin

I had lots of stupid and unrealistic dreams as a child, but by late high school, I had expected by this time (at age 23-24) to have graduated university in a major I liked (music), have a good bit of friends I could hang out with, have the fit body I wanted, have a relationship with someone that was serious enough to consider marriage in the coming years, nice car (nothing too fancy), place of my own away from my religious family... Right now, I still haven't attended college (thanks to me listening to those religious people at church "encouraging" me to drop college and be a full time preacher), I have not one single friend (except for a couple of online ones), I'm somewhat close on getting the body I wanted (just have to start working out...), my only relationship ended abruptly, my car is ragged and on its deathbed, and I still live with my religion-obsessed, oppressive mother. So yeah, my life is definitely not what I dreamed it would be by this time...

13. rjrh20

Ive always dreamed of having a happy family. Like a married mom and dad, but its too late now.

14. Hrantou

Yeah, I was the same. I wanted to write books and be a young author, or be a music child prodigy. But as time went on, my music career fell short, and then I realized I was great at starting books, but never finishing them. Now I'm 21 and I'm not much of a life to look at.

But that's the thing. I'm only 21. And if I still have some time left on this rock floating through space, ill make sure its a good life and a great story to tell later. Just gotta put some work in it.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point is this: your dreams, your plans, are what you think you should be doing at whatever stage of life you are at. But life is bigger than anyone's dreams or plans. Did Richard Branson dream to create Virgin airlines? No, one day a flight he was to take was cancelled, instead of just accepting this he found a charter airline at the airport, he arranged to have all the cancelled passengers pay a certain amount to book the plane, and, he made 49 bucks profit...this got him thinking...and the rest is history.

My point is this: there are a thousand opportunities that will present themselves to you, things you couldn't possibly expect. I knew pilots who flew planes in the far north of Canada, charter pilots, cargo pilots...you wouldn't believe the stories they had to tell, the most interesting ones were about the unexpected surprises and how they surmounted them, or didn't.

Maybe the point of life is not about having dreams come true, but having stories to tell...

16. Violet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't think like that, even though your life is not the way you expected it to be, I'm sure there are plenty of things that you actually enjoy about it. I'm pretty sure if you were someone else, you'd want to be you, hope it makes sense!
    And don't you forget you're precious just the way you are!
    Violet xoxoxo

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where do you I start? Completely without focus during undergraduate college years, with lots of wasted time, anxiety, and depression emanating from that. It sort of snowballed forward and I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and tried to keep going forward. I needed to take some time, learn to breathe, and learn to relax before embarking on this journey, and should have kept it simpler. I am in a very different place, on all levels, from what I expected at, say, age 22.

18. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I think I'm in a similar funk to what you described Tightrope. Entering my last year of undergrad and I have no idea what I'm going to do. Looking back, my life turned out way differently than my younger, more Catholic self might have imagined. A lot more drugs, cynicism, confusion, self-doubt. I wouldn't change a second of it, but I've had a really lucky run of it compared to a lot of folks.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm, everyone? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Life is not predictable, and when dreams are created at a young age, often times people haven't the faintest clue how to go about getting them.

All my life I've been told I'm very bright and that I'll do well. A lot of good it has done me, because most of my life I've considered myself a "novice" at everything, separated from the "pros" by an impassable gulf. There was no feasible way to get from loving aviation to flying a plane. Only way later did I learn that pilot training was actually available, and by then I was already committed to other areas of study.

What they didn't tell me was that despite my performance in school (A's and B's with minimal effort) smarts aren't generally worth crap if money is involved. I learned too late that it's all about breaking your balls, and doing it for over a decade, if you want to achieve something great, whether your goal is to be a pilot or to settle down in a moderately-sized castle with another guy, an adopted kid, and a dog.

The point of my long-winded rant is that things cannot be counted on to fall into place, but all of us have the power to force them into place. Luck, intelligence, and relentless brow-sweat are three factors that can adjust life events, and you need all of them for maximum success.

#19 Argentwing, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

My life isn't at all what I would have dreamed for myself. Yeah there's the thing about thinking I would have a wife and a whole brood of normally-produced biological children...but at this point I'm way over the sexuality thing, it's everything else that's really gone off-track in my life.