1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ivy League???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kyle Tristan, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

Guys, Do You Think I've Got Good Chances At An Ivy League College Particularly Yale???
    Please Don't Think I'm Bragging Here I Did This All For My College Application...
    I Just Graduated My Freshman Year Being Top Ten In My Class, I Got Almost All A's On My Quarterly Report Card With Sometimes A Few A-'s, I Was President Of My Freshman Class, Vice-president Of The Drama Club, Applied And Got Accepted At The School's Main Leadership Club(Which Means I'm Somewhat Part Of The Student Council), I Was In A Semi-honors Class In Freshman Year, I Do A Lot Of Community Service This Summer That's Linked To My School, And I Don't Live In The US So I Wonder If That Rises Up My Chances Of Getting In???:bang:

2. Wired106

I'm not sure because it really depends on your grades and SAT scores and all your other extracurricular activities. I know a girl that goes to this private high school and she was in ALL AP classes and is about to graduate this year with a 4.5! And as of the other years she took the most challenging coarses she could take, and she had a ton of communion hours and other stuff like that and she did not get into yale or harvard, but she did get into stanford. I'm not really sure why she couldn't get in but its probably be cause that school is known around the world and people literally apply from all around the world so your have to stand out infront of all the other of millions of applications they receive each year. And yes they do receive millions of applications because state schools receive around 75,000 applications and they arnt even world known so imagine a school that is known around the world lol. I'm sure if you did a lot of other stuff like you said, you will probably stand out in front of the crowd. So you probably got a good chance.

#2 Wired106, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. Ty

Ty Guest

Depends on how well you do on the college enterance exams.

4. Bryan90

Yeah it depends a lot on your SAT I, SAT II scores and the admission essay.

Incidentally, I used to have this Ivy League dream.. but gave up, and ended in University of Toronto instead. :bang:

5. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

I Wanna Get In!!!!

6. sdc91

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but living outside the U.S. severely damages your chances of getting in. Top schools usually have 10% international population, so that may only be 200 foreign students in an entire class, competing from all over the world.

Your stats are ok, but they're not upper-Ivy good, and nothing stands out to me. There's going to be a president of every class from every school in the world, and that person is likely to take all honors and have good marks. If you want to stand out, you're going to have to win a national competition or do something non-traditional for a teenager. My friend who got into Yale this year has published 2 scientific research papers, so that's what differentiated him.

I know I'm being really harsh, but it's the reality. I'm not going to say, "Aw, that looks good, keep on doing what you're doing." I'm really trying to help!

If you want to make a chances thread to get more advice, try the collegeconfidential forums.

7. DylanBoy

hey, so looks like i'm a bit older than you guys. but i just graduated from an ivy school, so i might have some insight. i'll be quick.
    1. sdc91 has a good point, but there's no mention of what percent of applicants are international (if it's over 10%, that's bad for you. my feeling is that it's probably less than 10%, so probably better for you)
    2. since your post is date may8, i'm assuming you have another year of secondary school or more..the decisions come out in april. test scores matter - there are 2 tests that are generally accepted. most ppl i know who took both did better in a relative sense on the ACT (full disclaimer: i only took the SATs, not the ACTs)
    3. you sound like you have a pretty good profile to get into an ivy or other great US school, but it's not worth getting attached to one specific school. each school could create 5 separate classes that would be equally good from their pool of applicants
    4. coming from an ivy, all i can say is that it's overrated versus any other good school. i love my school, but don't think it was worth all the fretting i did in thinking about whether i'd get in.
    hop that helps

8. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Well, just to get an idea, what scores did you get on your SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Test?

9. DylanBoy

um, well, that's kind of personal...but this is pseudo anonymous...

sat 1500 (back in the day)
    satII - 760, 750, 720 x 2

10. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't have to, you know?

11. DylanBoy

haha, no worries. it's just like 'the phrase that cannot be spoken' at my school

12. Bryan90

:eek: Marry me! lol.

13. DylanBoy

lol...i like the name bryan and the spelling with a 'y'
    so we might have a future

14. needgbf

needgbf Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make sure to check the date a thread started and the last reply; thread is over 7 years old. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.