1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing up

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Hexagon

People keep expecting me to grow up. But I feel like they're focussing on the wrong things. I already cook and shop for myself. I keep my stuff tidyish. I take care of my documents. I'm responsible with money. I keep myself in good health. I'm moving out soon, and I can take care of myself.

But people keep wanting me to change. They want me to uh, pick a gender to be attracted to and stick with it. They want me to start drinking hot drinks, because thats what adults do. No mention of the fact that I hate tea and coffee, and always will. That doesn't make me less responsible. They want me to start drinking beer. Same reasons. They want me to start keeping normal hours, despite the fact that the sun hurts my eyes (I should specify that I can and do keep normal hours when I have responsibilities such as work or school). My point is that everyone keeps focussing on some arbitrary goals before they'll admit that I'm an adult, which have nothing to do with how well I'd do on my own.

Does anyone else ever get this?

#1 Hexagon, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

All the time. I keep house. Babysit and school my sisters. Cook every fucking meal. Show no emotion. Did all college/financial aid with minimal assistance. Self-taught myself throughout high school.

So I'm no genius but I'm treated like I'm mentally handicapped regardless.

3. Hrantou

All the damn time. I work, go to school, I babysit my nieces, I keep the house going, but its never good enough. My family, especially my over-bearing sisters always tell me I'm still immature and young, despite me doing more than they do. I hate saying that, but its true. They tell me I need to start drinking alcohol (beer and the like) They always tell me to go hook up with random people and "get laid" and "party it up" because I'm "young and that's what you do" And much more not worth listing.

The thing is, I'm fine the way I am. I like staying home and playing games and watching my shows. I like hanging with my friends without the pressure to drink and party. But that's not good enough for them because its not what they did when they were my age.

Sigh. I could rant about this for a while. Needless to say, I know exactly how you feel.

4. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you guys all had to become mature too fast, like your too mature for your age. Not that I believe that to be a good or bad thing, the being very mature part.

5. starfish

There is a big difference between responsibility and growing up.

I know plenty of people that are gown up and have no sense of responsibility.

Sounds like you don't have any problem handing responsibility, so no need to grow up if you don't want to.

In the interest of full disclosure, I spent all afternoon playing make believe with a 4 year old and had a blast.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people who tell others to "grow up" have no idea what it means to be mature.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not supposed to be like everybody else. How shitty would life be if everybody were like everybody else?

I read some of your posts, Hex, and every one makes me want to hug you and console/comfort you a little more. (*hug*)

8. ScatteredEarth

Even though I'm not technically 'of age' to be an adult, it's still quite insulting when I get referred to as a 'kid'. I cook for myself more often than not, I generate most of my own income, I constantly help my parents with things such as filing for benefits because they can't use a computer to save their lives, which also makes me the household IT guy.. And regardless I'm treated like I can't tie my own shoes. It's really annoying.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. srslywtf

People expect you to drink tea/coffee? How do they make a point of this?

11. Hexagon

By offering it to me at every opportunity, insulting my when I refuse and tell me its 'what adults do'.

(*hug*)

12. srslywtf

Weird :lol:

I dont drink tea/coffee but nobody's ever told me that

13. leer

my dad is forever being told to grow up he`s 56 .:roflmao:

14. Hexagon

Hmm. I get it all the time. Like its so much more important that every other aspect of being human.

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Growing Up is for Old People, with one foot in the Grave :slight_smile: