1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do learning centers really help or is it all a scam?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I want to retrain my brain bc I have dyscalculia but I'm wondering if its a scam and if its worth it . I wanna go back to school ,baking wasn't really working bc novody would take me in . so now I'm trying to get back into college and get a degree in occupational therapy .

2. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The ones at my campus don't charge students, so I don't see how it could be a scam...

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't feel like Learning Centers were helping me that much but if you want to give it a shot, go ahead! They may help with your dyscalculia. I don't know if you're in North America or not but if you are, I recommend you don't go to Kumon. They have a dumb system set up.

4. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

What about lindamood bell ? Sometimes I hate my mom bc she thinks I'm dumb and I can't graduate college bc I dropped out :frowning2:

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't heard lindamood bell. I heard a lot of people that have success with LCs, what you get out of it is gonna be what you put into it.

6. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

So how many sessions would u recommend for a placement test in college ?

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    what's the degree of your dyscalculia i.e how bad is it? If it's super bad probably like 15-20, if it's moderate probably like 10-15, if it's slightly there probably like 5-10.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 12:21 AM ----------

before you schedule sessions, see if you can learn by the internet. I strongly suggest this if you're a visual learner or good at following instructions.

good websites are

Math.com - World of Math Online
    Purplemath
    Khan Academy
    Cool Math - free online cool math lessons, cool math games & apps, fun math activities, pre-algebra, algebra, precalculus
    tutorial.math.lamar.edu

I want to be a math educator so if you want to drop me a Wall message as you check out the above sites, I'll try my best to help. I would suggest PM but you're not a Full Member.

8. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

With video tutoring I can't grasp the concept and I have to keep going back to it like khan academy .

#8 Unsurevirgin, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'd be better off in a learning disability lab at a college or university over a private tutoring place. The college-based LD support is usually comprised of people who are actually qualified (psychologists, social workers) to evaluate you and find the particular learning methods that work best for you; a lot of the for-profit tutoring places tend to shortchange on that important step.

10. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u chip I will look into that :slight_smile:

11. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO KUMON... EVER!

I was forced to go to Kumon in 8th grade because I wasn't doing so great in math... Oh My god... They make you do soooo much work in such little time! You have to do 5 packets (00 pages front and back) each day!

The worst part is that they start you off at level "A", which is kindergarten math, and until you know EVERY SINGLE addition table there is, you do not get to move forward...

I managed to get up to level E before I just quit, DON'T waste your time on this program, I forgot everything I learned in a matter of weeks... :bang:

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can attest to this. I only got up to level D (in math) before I quit and level B (in reading). I got so fed up with it that I was like "My mom would like an answer book" so they gave me one and I just copied that shit...hard. And then I passed the TAKS test and all was good. I still suck at reading and it didn't do anything for me in regards to math.