1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Islander, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of relationship you have with your parents, if any. I've noticed that many LGBT people have somewhat strained relationships with one or both of their parents. Did this start before you came out or after?

I'll start with my parents:

I do not have a good relationship with my mother (and my father is somewhat distant and reserved). I realise that this is typical of teenagers, but I think that my situation is slightly different. At s parents' evening, one of my teachers noticed my mother's off behaviour and attitude towards me, and called me to her office to have a chat on a couple of occasions before she could get anything out of me. Once I had explained my situation to her in as little detail as possible, she promptly suggested that I go and see the school counsellor (who I came out to about 7 months later).

I have a suspicion that deep down my mother knows that I am a lesbian and this may partly cause her negative behaviour towards me (she also had problems with her own parents, which seem also to have had a major impact on her attitude towards me).

So anyway, I'm interested to hear about your relationship with your parents - how did it compare, both before and after coming out?

2. Hexagon

Parents are evil. Mine are anyway.

3. MerBear

me and my dad don't have a good relationship. he hits me and throws things at me when he's mad.

My mom, she's dead but we had a okay relationship. she just scared me a lot because i was protective of her

4. Hrantou

My dad thinks I'm going to hell and my mom hopes everyday that ill be straight and "normal". Needless to say, we aren't very close.

5. LinkLarkin

I'm very close to my mother. I've never formed a strong relationship with my father, I think just because I always felt different to the heteronormative idea of masculinity so we never bonded over football or anything like that. We don't have a hostile relationship or anything though.

I haven't come out to them yet so I can't give any feedback on our relationship afterwards.

6. I'm pretty close to my mom although she's extremely clingy and I never learned how to fend for myself until my adult sister taught me some life skills.

My relationship with my dad is pretty distant. I've always tried to start a conversation with him but most of the time, it ends with my dad insulting me and pointing out all of my flaws. As a result, it's really hard to start talking to him.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have a great relationship with my parents. My mom and I are incredibly close, and she has always been there for me and been willing to lend an ear whenever I need to talk. My dad and I are not quite as close, but he's still there for me.

8. BudderMC

My dad and I were somewhat close when I was younger. It became apparent in my teens that he was an alcoholic, so that combined with my parents' eventual separation a couple of years ago means our relationship is almost nonexistent.

My mom and I had a strained relationship partly due to the alcoholism stuff and partly because I was closeted. It's slowly working towards being repaired, also in part because she's working on her own issues and now treating me more like an adult.

9. Islander

Anyone know much about narcissism? I've had a suspicion for over a year now that my mother could possibly be narcissistic - the overbearing kind.

10. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dislike all adults family members in my family. Maybe it's because they're overly religious, and they'll most likely disown me the moment I come out to them?

11. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My relationship with my parents is pretty normal for the most part, I mean there are not any serious issues with my relationships with them. I'd rather not delve too deep into anything regarding parents but I'd say I am more closer to my mom than my dad. But recently I have been connecting with him more and that makes me happy to know I am not completely invisible to him.

12. tryhtwfr

My parents hate me.