1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going it alone went well! What happened in the last month or so.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Sully

So a little over a month ago, I made a thread, saying that I was going to leave EC for a while just to get my affairs in order, and stop coming here to just vent. (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-...ing-ec-while-thanks-all-advice-support-d.html)

I can tell you now. It seems A LOT longer than little than a month!

I logged on a couple of times over the past few days but have made no posts. I really thought that I'd moved past EC. Tonight however, I was wondering how I would answer the inevitable questions you get when you come out. For the life of me, I can't remember any of the answers I once had, I can't remember the hardships, emotions etc at all! Then I realised that many of them are in the very threads that I had created! So I guess coming back to EC to write this, is my way of thanking the makers of the site, that I now have those feelings written down that I can reflect upon!

Some interesting stuff happened in the last month! Early on in the month I was out at a bar and someone who I'm out to asked if he could to one of our best friends, I was happy for him to do it. So they found out and it was all good.

Mid month, an old friend to me, not so subtly, indicated that she knew I was gay. Immediately I knew that the first person I had told, who happens to be gay, and whom I thought I could trust, had outed me. As you can assume, I was pretty pissed off! I still haven't really dealt with the situation, I'm just really not interested in maintaining a friendship with that person any more.

Finally, a week or so ago, whilst away with friends, I had been trying to muster up the courage to tell my best friend. So after a little (maybe a bit more than a little) liquid courage had taken the edge off. I sort of just, randomly blurted it out to 4 people, including my best mate, probably the one person I was most worried about telling. He was completely shocked, saying that he'd defended me from people that suggested I was gay to him. He also wasn't too happy that I told him in that matter, but he gets over shit like that within seconds. We haven't spoken about it since, but the other day he said that he wanted to talk about it, which, to be honest, I can't really be bothered, but I suppose I will.

So that is basically it. I still haven't really thought about telling my family. I've accepted, that for the time being, it isn't crucial that they know, and that it's completely up to me when I decide to tell them.

If I were to offer some advice, it would be, that as great as EC is, if you're coming here daily and venting all your problems without actually doing anything about them, maybe take a break from EC. Go it alone for a little while, tackle your problems head on, you'll find they're resolved faster that way. You'll be amazed at what you can do (&&&)

2. leer

So that is basically it. I still haven't really thought about telling my family. I've accepted, that for the time being, it isn't crucial that they know, and that it's completely up to me when I decide to tell them.

If I were to offer some advice, it would be, that as great as EC is, if you're coming here daily and venting all your problems without actually doing anything about them, maybe take a break from EC. Go it alone for a little while, tackle your problems head on, you'll find they're resolved faster that way. You'll be amazed at what you can do.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do agree with what you are saying EC is a fantastic support network for the LGBT community and I grate place for people to discuss issues .but IMO EC can only do so much in the end it's up to the individual to resolve the issues .

3. Sully

That's exactly it.