1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is High School like

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Jul 29, 2013.

1. person57

So I'm going to High School in two weeks and I'm excited but nervous at the same time. What is high school like? Did you enjoy high school? If yes, what did you enjoy about it? If no, what did you hate about it. Thanks to the people who read this and replied to this.

2. Gen

Gen

Its normal to be a bit nervous, but I definitely wouldn't stress over it. When you are younger High School seems like a big jump from elementary and middle school, but socially it isn't much different. The title might have changed over the summer, but your peers haven't. Just don't take things to seriously, relax, try to converse with different people, and make the best of your time because it is four years after all.

Academically, your classes in your first year will probably be extremely easy if you are an average-good student normally. My advice is to not get lazy because of this. I could have easily gotten all As both semester my freshman year( I only did the second), but I got a bit too relaxed and regretted it later. Getting a few Bs instead As doesn't seem like a big deal, but you'll want that cushion to fall back on in case things go south in the future years. You'll likely have at least 24 teachers throughout high school and probably only 5 will actually like care about their job.

Unless you're just lucky, of course. I wasn't. ( ;_; )

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to 2 different ones due to a move. I did not like the first one that much. I liked the next one even less. This was a different time, though. I made some friends at the first high school. I did not make friends at the second high school, partly because I just sort of showed up for the last 2 years. This is just my personal experience. Just be yourself, and I'm talking about your own personal style on all dimensions, and you'll be fine.

Teachers were a mix. Some were interested that I was learning. Others didn't seem to care. On the other hand, college was a big improvement, because I became more assertive, and grad school was even better. For me, it was more about growing up and liking myself more. I never thought that sort of stuff shows through, but it does. So, like yourself, and have a good time.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High School can be awesome, it just depends on a few things. If you make or have friends that have a lot in common with you, HS is very nice. Teachers and homework are a toss up though, could be good or bad.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the classes are easy as fuck
    everything else is awful

6. castle walls

My opinion of high school? Eh.

I found high school to be pretty boring and I thought that a lot of it (mostly the end) was a waste of my time. I only stayed there the full 4 years so I could graduate with my friends. I don't think high school necessarily gets harder as you go along but, in my case, it required more work as I went along.

I didn't hate high school. I was probably so bored because I didn't get to study what I wanted in high school. I'm really into the social sciences which they didn't cover at all at my high school. The classes I did take were usually very easy and I think that is another big factor in why I was so bored.

I think one of the best part of high school is how much more exploring you get to do. If I were you, I'd definitely look for opportunities to try something new. You can check out clubs or maybe a cool elective class you heard about.

I made some great friends in high school and I still talk to my main group of friends and we get together when we can. It is possible to make some great friends in high school and stay in contact. The friends I made and the new experiences I had is what really made high school for me.

This is really good advice.

Try not to get into bad academic habits. You'll thank yourself later. Yeah, you can probably get away with it in high school but it'll be hard to break the habit once you get to college.

This is so true! I didn't notice how little so many teachers cared until I got to high school.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoyed it even though I'm introverted and not very active socially. I never cared about popularity or having lots of friends, so I can't really say I felt bad about missing out on the wider school social situation. I kept most of my friends from elementary/middle school and made many new ones, but I know a lot of students who changed groups of friends in high school, which they often kept after graduations. It's kind of exciting to have a mix of the old and new (note: my school district had multiple feeder middle schools for each high school).

I stuck with specific groups of friends, namely in those in band/orchestra and "honors students." Music and sports groups are great at giving you instant groups of friends that are passionate for something. I also suggest joining some extracurricular groups, like a community service club (my school had Key Club), because there you'll find people who accept you without any preconditions. Friendships often start when you have one thing in common. So, I almost never had to worry about bullying or being embarrassed by being a nerd. I honestly can't say I hated anything.

I think I was lucky to go to a good public school where we had a specific program to get students prepared for college, and there were multiple teachers who were talented and really helped us excel. Grades really do matter when thinking about college and a future career, so don't blow off your classes or only take easy ones. This is also a great opportunity to take classes in the fields your interested in. One of my friends definitely disliked dentistry after she did independent study with a local dentist's office. Conversely, I have a friend who became band director of another local high school (one of our school's archrivals). I liked my chemistry and biology classes and teachers, and now I'm doing what I really love: biochemistry research toward getting a PhD.

8. Hrantou

I had a mixed bag...My first 2 years were awesome! And my last 2 were horrible. My advice: Don't be afraid. Go out and introduce yourself, meet people, stuff like that. I know that sounds cliche and maybe lame but its what I did and I actually made a few new friends the very first day. If you got band or sports, its easy to make friends there.

Also, grades. Don't slack. I know, everyone always says that. But take it from someone who didn't finish: It's bad if you don't do well. It put my academics behind several years in my life and I was wayyy behind. All because I didn't wanna work for it. Trust me, Have fun in high school, but also work at it as well. :thumbsup:

9. FreeFlow9917

It isnt that bad, more responsibility, but more chances to make friends. You'll have ups and downs, but thats the experience. Im going to be a sophmore, but you learn quickly. Im going to honors chem this year :l, so im excited

10. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've only been out of high school for a little over two years, but I can already hardly remember any of it. It's just a gray blob of theater, video games, and daydreams. I don't know what factors go into making high school an enjoyable experience, but I do know that I was missing several of them. Developing depression at some point (and potentially having ADHD in spite of my grades) certainly didn't help matters. Getting good grades can also, surprisingly, be a mixed bag, too, if you never have to work for them because then you never learn how to put effort into anything.

I think the big thing to keep in mind about high school is that it probably won't be radically different from middle or elementary school. If you at least somewhat enjoy school, you'll probably continue to enjoy it. If you are bored out of your brains and can't help but count the minutes until you can move on to the next "big step" (high school, graduation, etc)...then you will most likely continue to feel that way, too.

11. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    High school is what you make of it. If you have a few close friends that you love and trust, you'll be fine. The best advice I can give you is to join activities like clubs and sports. You'll meet people with similar interests and it can help open doors for you in the future, especially when/if you apply to college (never to early to start thinking about that :slight_smile: )

12. Abbra

It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I for one had a great time in High School, if not for the social part of it. Academically... eh.

I think High School was easier socially than middle school because there were more extra curricular activities. I'd say join a club or group that enjoys the same things as you, and you will generally make friends pretty fast.

Also, if you are smart, don't be afraid to challenge yourself. Use now to develop good studying habits, and experiment with your classes. If you are smart, don't sell yourself short and not take harder classes. I didn't take AP English, and it was terribly boring.

Teachers never change. Some are bad, some are good. Get teachers that try. It's better to have a mean teacher who pushes you then a teacher who doesn't care about you either way.

13. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just make sure to pay attention in class and get an education while you can. It's the last 4 years of your life that you can learn for free so take advantage of that or else you'll regret it. You'll be just fine it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem. Be nice to the upper-classman and if it seems like they're making fun of you a little just roll with it and don't let it get to you or else they'll do it more often. Most people will probably leave you alone though so don't worry about it. :slight_smile:

14. Idek1204

What age is high school?
    In england we have
    age 4-11, primary school
    age 11-18, secondary ("high"?) school.

Either way, it's cool man. Be yourself.

I love school. Make the most of it but it's not much different to any other schools - other than often they treat you more like adults (which is good!)

15. person57

High school is grade 9-12 for me

16. chrisV

i'm currently in high school. it's great, a LOT better than middle school. people tend to mind their own business, and there is a lot less bullying.

join a club that interests you. you will meet a lot of friends. i made all of my friends through marching band, which is always a good club if you're a total music nerd like me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    High school typically runs age 14-15 or so up to about 18. It may run either 3 or 4 years depending on the school district. (Total number of years of school remains the same. It's just how it's divided between the various levels that varies.)

18. BornInTexas

I wish I had gone to a high school like that.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't undo the grades, so don't slack off in that department. You may find that you'll need them.

20. High school is alright. High school is where I joined the GSA and I got to come out. Don't worry, it's not like Mean Girls. High school is where you need to free up some more time because you'd get more homework.

There are a wider variety of classes you could take. You can select how hard or how easy you want the class to be by choosing honor/Advanced placement courses (however your counselor would most likely make you aim higher). People are more mature, but it doesn't mean we're not immature LOL. If I had came out in middle school, people would make a huge fuss over it. When I came out in high school in my freshman year, people were like,"Oh that is awesome."

You CAN'T let your grades slip because high school is when colleges look at your grades. They look at your grades starting from freshman year, but 10th and 11th grade scores matter the most.

I also love high school because the ASB (associated student body) sets up spirit weeks so there's "Fashion Disaster day", "School rep day", "Disney Day", etc. That made my experiences much more fun. I've gotten interviewed for the yearbook so you could be somewhat famous haha.