1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To those with careers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Jul 29, 2013.

1. theMaverick

Adults who are out of college or about to be or who are working in their chosen field/industry: How did you make the decision to go into whatever it is you are doing? I've longed wrestled with trying to figure out my "dream" career and I'm at the point now where it's make or break time...I'm an English major who doesn't want to be a teacher really, and I know I need to do something to make a living and I want to make a decent living with the ability to earn more based on my hard work. I almost don't care what I do right now as long as it will pay my bills and my student loans while I work on advancing my career and maybe starting a business on the side...

2. theMaverick

To expand upon this: I've considered teaching but the rewards don't outweigh the fact that I feel teachers are grossly underpaid in the United States and they have to put up with tons of politics that I don't care for. I'm looking at Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising or Economics. I'm good at writing and speaking, I have good interpersonal skills, and I'm generally a good people person.

3. HopeFloats

I went to law school at 27 after trying several other jobs. My advice would be just to try something and don't worry about that being what you do the rest of your career. Apply to a variety of positions in the areas you mentioned and see if you can get some interviews. Then see what pans out. If you don't like a field you can change after a year or two.

4. theMaverick

I'm still IN college. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.

5. derrik

How about a career that you have an affinity for --- something you like

That way you somewhat detached from worry about pay

Instead of a vocation find an avocation

6. theMaverick

Okay. I like writing, speaking, computers...books....

7. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, hun. I wish I could give you advice on this...but I am pretty stuck on this subject myself :/

8. theMaverick

It sucks...

9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About the pay thing, from what I heard from a former teacher of mine If you don't mind the commute, living in the suburbs of a major city and working in an inner city school could be profitable. He was making something like 80,000$ a year in New York. Just a thought.

10. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You stated that you are an English major. You can do a lot with this degree. You have tunnel vision right now. All you are seeing is a teaching position. That would be great! That is what I am seeking. However, this may not be for you. I will attempt to give you some ideas that you may not have thought of.

Writing Editing
    Creative Writing
    Journalism
    Free-lance
    Technical Writing

Potential Employers
    Newspapers
    Magazines
    Broadcast media companies including tv and movie industries
    trade - professional or consumer publications
    internet sites
    advertising agencies
    large corporation
    government agencies
    college and universities
    technical industries

Publishing
    Editing
    Advertising
    Sales
    Circulation
    Production
    Publicity

Advertising
    Creative
    Media
    Research

Public Relations
    Research
    Writing
    Editing
    Media

Law
    Law firms
    Corporate legal departments
    Government agencies
    Public service agencies

Business/Industry
    Management
    Sales
    Marketing
    Human Resources
    Insurance: Claims and Underwriting

You have a lot of options - go see your advisor. BTW you are in my area of the country. Good luck!

11. starfish

You mentioned you have an interest in computers. How about becoming a Tech Writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_writer

I really wish we had a tech writer at work. I've worked with them before and it was so nice to have.

12. sugarcubeigloo

I double majored in English and Education in college and I loved every minute of it. Being teacher has been something that I've always wanted to do since I was little. I actually finished my first year of teaching this past cycle. Anyway, I'd say that if you think teaching isn't something you're interested in, then don't even consider it. It really is hard work and its a difficult job market to enter. I'm often baffled and irritated by people who treat teaching like its a back-up plan that doesn't require adequate training or real skill. (I am, of course, not implying this is what you're saying. I just thought I'd sound off quickly. :lol:slight_smile:

However, I did graduate with my fair share of straight-up English major friends and a lot of them are on quite different paths. For example: One edits at a publishing company, another works in product promotion, and someone else is attending grad school to study creative writing. One of the best aspects about an English degree is its versatility. I'd say don't worry yourself sick about it. Perhaps you can explore your options through interning? You may not know what you want to get into until you try it out for yourself.

#12 sugarcubeigloo, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a biochemistry major and I really found my calling as a scientist when I started doing undergraduate research. Previously, I thought I would take the "easy" path of becoming a doctor or some medical professional, but I guess deep down I always knew I wanted to be a scientist (I remember saying I wanted to be a paleontologist in 1st grade and having to spell it for everyone else). So, I decided I wanted to go to graduate school for a PhD., and the field I chose was actually very different from my undergrad work, having more to do with my hobby of keeping marine aquariums.

I think merging my class studies with something I had done "for fun" since middle school really helped focus my decision making process. In the end, I moved far from home and am incredibly lucky to be working under a great professor in my desired field, and I finally can see my fear of being a failure starting to subside. I believe that everyone should understand what they are talented (and, more importantly, interested) in and tailor their career plans to make use of those talents.

14. theMaverick

Not to try and revive this thread, but just to let everyone know: thank you for your advice. After being in college again for a few weeks, and taking a journalism class (which I LOVE!!) I'm going to double major in English and Journalism.