1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some car advice (Mustang)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jared

So I'm in the market for a new car and was wondering if anyone here had a Mustang and how they liked it.

I've been driving a 2002 BMW 325i since I started driving four years ago and it's got a lot of miles and the repairs are getting expensive. I really liked my BMW and part of me wants another one. But the logical side of me knows a Mustang (well any non German car) would be cheaper to own. I'm currently looking at a 2009 BMW 328i and a 2012 Ford Mustang Convertible V6 Premium. The Mustang is cheaper to buy and has a longer warranty. But I'm still not sure I'd be happy with a Mustang and I'm not in desperate need of a new car.

So any thoughts and opinions would be awesome and appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Funny story, I drove both of these cars last Friday. The BMW has a nice interior but the handling and power of the mustang is better than the BMW. Only downside is the interior feels a little cheap in the Ford.

Have you looked at a camaro or Hyundai genesis coupe?

3. Pat

Pat

Well, I would recommend getting away from german and american cars if you want to be repairless. Lol. Mustangs are cheaper to repair because the parts are considered domestic. Hondas are usually a good idea because they're reliable and the parts are considered to be domestic. I personally only mess with Nissans :slight_smile: But I also have a Honda, so I would recommend the Japs for reliability and the handling is typically better than american made cars. Granted, you are looking at a new Mustang. I think you'd be happy with it, but longevity wise, I think you should go for a japanese v6. Nissan, infiniti, honda accord.. depends on how you feel. If you want a coupe, the options are smaller and I would say the Genesis coupes are the best bet for the price or perhaps the new Scion FRS.

4. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say go with the BMW or find an older American made car. Honestly Ford just isn't a reliable car company. There have been so many problems with them over the years ranging from transmission problems to engine problems and even accelerator problems so I just can't say they are safe. Chevrolet is generally a good company to buy from, my Dad has an impala and has a ton of stuff fixed by the dealership and they take care of any problems under the warranty. I would say go with the BMW though because German engineered cars just run better. They're harder to fix and get parts for, but they will last longer and they are really well made.

My family is all into cars and stuff so I know at least a little bit about this stuff, but this is honestly just personal thoughts on it so I would go which ever one seems more comfortable, but in doing some research the 2012 Mustangs had a slightly higher amount of complaints than than 2011 and 2013's. Also, keep in mind that the company has been sued recently for accelerator problems and federally investigated for engine issues. That actually occurred this year since February.

#4 PurpleRain, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Honda and Toyota are both living on thier former glory. The last Honda I.had experience with fell apart within 5 years of the purchase date. American cars are at the top of their game.and surpass Honda and Toyota by far.

Couple of things to note, the new mustang is set to debut in January and its a huge improvement. You will regret buying a current-body mustang when the new one is released.

Also, you can expect the electric water pump and thermostat to fail at about 60-70k miles on the 328i. Its about 1400 bucks to have replaced. As well as the valve cover gaskets and a few other things that are problematic.

6. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I think you're going to get a lot of preferences on this page instead of advice because cars are kinda touchy with people. Everybody has the car manufacturer and country that they find to be top quality and everything else is total shit to them. I suggest German cars over American and Japanese because American car companies have a tendency to cut a lot of corners and do a lot of cover-up and have a lot of problems. Like there isn't a Dodge in the world that doesn't have transmission problems and Fords are built to last for like 6-10 years at the most to keep the market fresh. Not only that, but a lot of American cars nowadays are much harder to fix than they used to be, so you have to take them to a dealer or a GOOD mechanic if you want things fixed it's hard to do it yourself. Japanese cars are honestly very attractive, but I agree with Striddentube they're living off the past when they actually made for decent cars, today they really do fall apart within 4-5 years, my Dad had a Nissan that did EXACTLY that and he was getting repairs every couple of months. German cars are great in my opinion. They're premium quality cars and are as attractive as most Japanese cars, plus they are well made. The big downsides to German cars are the parts and repairs are really costly, BUT if you do all the things that you're supposed to do to maintain your car it should run just fine for a considerable number of years. So I'm to suggest the BMW, even on the basis that the repairs pretty much have to be done at a dealership and the parts can be expensive. Just make sure to maintain it well and do all the little things like keeping it above half a tank all the time, let it warm up a little before you take off, making sure to check and change your oil , prepare it for the winter months accordingly and it'll be just fine. :slight_smile:

7. starfish

I would suggest waiting a bit. A new Mustang is coming for 2015. We should see it at the Detroit Auto Show early next year.

8. Jared

I felt the same about the interiors, the Ford just looked cheap, but it had a much more attractive price tag. I've thought about the Hyundai, not thrilled enough with it to buy one and I really don't like Camaros, I think they're ugly.

Not a Japanese car fan, my mom had a 2010 V6 Accord until a few months ago when she got a 2012 BMW 528i and I was never impressed with the Accord, very blah to drive and just an okay car, not bad but not great.

Yeah I know the new Mustang is set to be revealed next year, but I'm not looking for a brand new car, too expensive and they depreciate so fast. Much rather buy a slightly used car at a lower price. And I know all about the wonderful 3-series problems, been driving one for four years, mine's actually at the shop right now getting a valve cover gasket replaced.

Yeah I know, not looking for a new car though, too much $$$$

Yeah the Japanese cars of today are very blah, not as reliable as they used to be and I find the designs very boring. And I know BMWs will go for a long time, but it's expensive to get them there, had a BMW for a while :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I really like their cars, but I'm not sure it's a practical thing to own right now.

9. starfish

Ahh for some reason I was thinking you were buying new.

What is your budget? While the 3.7L V6 is a great motor, if I were to buy a Mustang I'd have to go for the 5.0 V8. Ford really uped their game with the current generation Mustang. It just blows my mind that performance wise the Mustang GT is on par with the M3. Now the interior is lacking on the Mustang, but for the price difference between the two you can buy a second Mustang.

Have you looked at any other cars?

10. Jared

My budget is like $20-25K, closer to $20K would be nice. I'm kinda looking to get something nice, relatively new and with low miles. I've looked at Audi A4s and Mercedes C300s, didn't care for them too much. I was pretty set on another German car when I started looking, but not so much anymore. I haven't done a ton of looking yet, not in a huge hurry to get a new car.

My main reasons for looking at the V6 over the V8 was insurance and fuel economy, car insurance on a young guy is bad enough as it is without a bigger engine.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like my most recent Honda experience. The model in specific was a Civic (probably, if the car still exists, about 10 years old now), and I drove it a few times after a period of driving an 80s Acura Integra (based, I believe, heavily on the Accord of the era). The Acura was far from the best car I've ever driven, but it seemed like a high end sports car vs. the newer Civic.

But the Civic struck me as possibly being an OK puddle hopper/commuter type car.

No idea what Japanese cars are like these days--that Civic was the newest I drove--but I will say that, in general, I, too, have felt they are often blah. They always felt like practical appliance type cars. Although there was one notable exception: a Mazda Miata (first generation). I really liked the way that car drove.

12. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man Audi's are NICE! That's my dream car honestly an A6 Prestige 3.0 TFSI or a TT. :lol: That would be the luxury car though. The car I really want to find is an 83 or 91 BMW m3 and fix it up. Those are beautiful cars and really well balanced so they're great to modify. It's a dream. I'd really like to fix the engine in the rear of one of those, but that may be a bit overkill. Still the balance you can get with a rear engine car is unbelievable. Kills in the turns. :slight_smile:

#12 PurpleRain, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Past depreciation, one concern I'd have with that new Mustang is that its new. My attitude: let someone else deal with the bugs in the design that aren't worked out by release day.

14. starfish

Humm... 25K would just about get you into a Focus ST. Of course I have no idea what insurance would run on one of those. I really want to drive one, but I am afraid that I just might buy it if I do.

Are you looking for a 2 door or a 4 door?

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another thought: there might be merit in keeping the current BMW a while longer. Yes, it needs more repairs now. But you'll be losing a lot of money by depreciation by buying a newer car. Obviously one question is how much repair will be needed to the current car in the coming years, and how much it will cost.

Some people have kept cars going insane lengths of time, and have calculated that despite the yearly cost, they are still coming out ahead.

16. Jared

I don't really care, I kinda like the idea of having a convertible since I've always wanted one and it would be fun to have the top down. And I'm keeping my BMW, it has so many miles I'd get very little for it and rather just keep it, so if I need a four door car for something I'll have it. I'm kinda leaning towards a two door since I don't have a real need for a four door and would still have access to one.

17. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

That BMW is getting up there. The transmission could lose reverse at any time as the e46 has many issues with that as well.

18. Jared

Right the deprecation sucks, I know :frowning2: I'm keeping the BMW and will hopefully kinda split the miles between them, keep the value up on the new car and repairs down on the BMW.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 08:38 PM ----------

I believe mine has the transmission that didn't have that problem, thank god.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, you could saw the roof off the BMW... :lol:

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

You might consider older cars than what you've looked at to beat depreciation. Age has a huge impact. Although the challenge becomes finding something that still has usable life.

Since you mention convertibles, you might look at the Mazda MX5 roadster. No idea what that car is like now, but I drove the first generation Miata (the old name), and was quite impressed. Although I don't have your background with BMW (I've driven them, but never owned one). The specimen I drove was for sale by a guy who liked sports cars, and could have bought something considerably more expensive (in fact, his replacement was to be a Porsche). The MX5 would not be the most practical car for carrying things, but if you have the BMW still, that won't matter as much.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 08:56 PM ----------

Oh yes--the other MX5 problem (at least on older models) is some people are too big for the car. I've heard stories of people redoing the seat so the seat is attached directly to the floor (no adjustment rails) just to get a bit more headroom...

20. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Jared:

It has been a very long time since I have had a Mustang (late 1970s early 1980s). Overall I like the car. However, I did have issues with the compressor. MY memory fades after about 20 years or so. However, Ford put in two or three a/c compressors. Fortunately, these were still under warranty. Besides this, I had no issues with the car.

Craig

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 11:48 PM ----------

Jared: How did you upload the picture?