1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church is damn boring

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zumbo, May 9, 2008.

1. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sitting right now on a pew inside the church while listening to a to a speaker talking about adultery. F**k! What do I have to do with that? Can't he talk about something more useful?

In this church, the service takes about four boring hours and my feet are already itching to get out. I wish I had a nice novel with me right now.

If I weren't only afraid about my parents cutting my allowance, I wouldn't go to church. It feels disgusting to be with many hypocrite people.

#1 zumbo, May 9, 2008
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I feel you. Taking a novel may not be a bad idea. Here are some other things I've done to keep myself busy in church.
    -Think of arguments against what the speaker is talking about, even when it's something rational.
    -Think of double meanings for what the speaker is saying. Note that you risk laughing by doing this.
    -Listen. Sometimes, the speaker will actually be inspiring or relevant.
    -Plan mentally. You may want to take a small notebook if you decide to do that. Plan out something your going to the do soon, like a party or a project.
    That's all I can think of for now.

3. kramer362

Oh come on it can't be THAT boring when you have a laptop and internet access? That's the only way I could tolerate church I think.

4. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He could be on one of them fancy cell phones that can do everything but slice cheese...

5. Grof142007

Amen hehe

meh i usually bite my nails or twiddle my thumb to get thru or just stare at ppl also i usually do something funny to get the kids around me in trouble lol also sleeping with ur eyes open works

6. neverover

just bring ur earphone and ur ipod, or ur cellphone. ur good to go:slight_smile:

7. Alexander

Whenever I'm in a boring church service I do the obvious ghey gay thing. I LOOK FOR HOT BOYS :grin:

But seriously, it keeps the mind off the preacher :slight_smile:

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A four hour church service?! I would die, lol. Church is boring and so are their teaching, that is why I do not attend church. :slight_smile:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Internet in church? What happened to sleeping? :roflmao:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always enjoyed people watching. So if church service would bore me to tears, I'd start looking at the people around me. (I liked to sit near the back, so I could see as many people as possible.) Then I'd play a game called "instant history". Maybe you can try this, too.

Pick one person. Based on just what he looks like, what he's wearing, and who is sitting around him, mentally write out his entire history.

What's his name?
    What does he do for a living?
    Where does he live?
    Who lives with him?
    Where did he get that outfit?
    Where did he last go out to eat? What did he order?
    What annoys him more than anything?
    What's his secret talent that almost nobody knows about?
    What's his biggest secret that he hopes nobody finds out about?
    What's the one thing that's preying on his mind now?

Sometimes I'll play it fairly low-key. "His name is Harold, and he's an account executive at an advertising agency." Other times, I'll go nuts with it. "His name is Bruux, and he's an Alpha Centurian disguised as a human, sent to spy on the religious customs of Earth. He's trying to figure out how to steal a bunch of Eucharistics hosts into his pocket so he can take them back to the spaceship for analysis."

It's fun. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG that sounds like such fun, I'm gonna have to try it!!

If it were me, well when I'm in chapel at school I just think of the people I fancy and that keeps me busy enough. :slight_smile: Or if I happen to be sitting near one of them, I gaze at them all the way through while dreaming unrealistic fantasies that are never going to happen...

12. omg Church is the boringest thing ever.
    I am so glad i haven't gone for a year ^.^
    Idk how to make it exciting accept for making rude funny comments to your mother and then trying not to laugh.

13. Peridot

Church is soooooo boring!!!!

I usually stare at people or make up weird stories in my head using my fingers....

14. STK

STK Guest

I haven't went since November... and in actuality it was a cool service. That's rare.

15. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't been to church in 2 years and I've been an atheist for over 3 years.

Even when I did believe in the invisible man in the sky, I still found church boring beyond all human reason.

Then I told my mom I'm an atheist and she let me off the hook, now I get to sleep on Sundays while the family go and mumble to an invisible sky daddy.

16. Leigh

Leigh Guest

wow. you must be paaatient!!

i could not do that.

thank god for atheism!

17. total mo

total mo Guest

how could you open up your lappy while in church? that's like disrespectful. why don't you just not go to church at all if you get bored in there? 4 hours is really boring, im glad the church service im going to is only 2 hours.

18. STK

STK Guest

(Yeah I'm atheist/agnostic too)... if I have to go to a place where they say something anti-gay I'll walk RIGHT THE FUCK OUT!

19. Jeimuzu

It always amazes me that people dress in their expensive suits, get into a big family car, go to an elegant building covered in art and sculptures to listen to someone telling you how to be more like Jesus.

Several hundred people, four hours a week to listen to some guy in a frock talk about his cult... frankly, that's probably over a thousand hours per week being wasted overall.

Can those people not instead, go cook for a homeless hostel? Tend to the elderly and infirm? Work at a charity shop?

Four hours a week can make a difference. Four hours a week from hundreds of people can save lives. And yet, people who claim that they're striving to be just like Jesus spend those four hours listening to a man quoting from the bible. Those quotes should tell them what to do. If anyone in that room was truly like Jesus, they'd get up, tell everyone to follow, and they'd spend the next few hours helping those who can't help themselves.

20. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^Hear Hear!