1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to keep this secret?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SecretlyASloth, Jul 30, 2013.

1. SecretlyASloth

Okay so I'm entering high school this year. In my area, this high school is the school where most kids are going to if they want to go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc...I am definitely one of those students as well. (My own brother just graduated from Yale)

My parents have helped me arrange that I take a certain class early to make course selection easier in my next four years of high school. The two classes I will be taking that are unusual for a 9th grader are Algebra 2 and Chemistry. (I live in CA so IDK what course orders are in other states/countries sorry...)

Here's the 2 part issue:
    First, the freshman class is going to be huge, and I know for a fact that a lot of my friends, although friendly, will do whatever they can to get ahead. It's an extremely competitive group. They all know that I am taking a grade ahead in math, and a lot of them are too. In 6th grade I was invited to take a test to see if I could skip a grade in math, and when all of those people found out, they all demanded to take the test too, so they could be "ahead". This is just to give you a sense of what type of people they are when it comes to things like this.

Second, although the whole skipping a grade in math thing is fairly well known, a freshman taking Chemistry is fairly unheard of. I was allowed to do it through a certain arrangement that probably only I could do. The school however, told me that if I told how I did it they would kick me out of the course.
    So knowing my friends, they will probably immediately try to do what I did if they find out.
    Therefore, what I'm trying to do, is to make it so they don't find out. :|
    Is there anyway you were able to hide your class schedule in high school? If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. It's just that before when people found out I was skipping a grade in math they freaked out and were crowding me for an answer so they could do it for themselves. When I honestly told them I didn't know a lot of them gave me a cold shoulder for a while and accused me of wanting to be better than them.

That, on top of possibly being kicked out of the course, is why I need your help.

2. OhSOCurious

Where i live, education standards are low. I'm going into 11th and i'm taking Algebra II as well as AP Chemistry ;~;

There goes my chances of getting into Harvard >.>

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Easy, just don't mention it to friends! Oh wait...high school. Just tell your friends that it's confidential and they do not need to know. They'll understand, and if they know it's benefiting you and helping you, they'll back off! Anyway, where I live, this could be done but not highly recommended.

Curious, I LOVE Algebra II and AP Chem is bad at all, I took P/AP my senior year and survived. You'll do just fine :grin:

4. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell them the truth.
    Tell them that if you do tell them how you did it, you'd be kicked out of the course.
    If they still want to know, tell them to go :***: themselves :grin:

5. OhSOCurious

Oh right helpful thoughts... um
    I know education is much like a test... Keep the answers for yourself. Where you end up after is solely from how you took advantage of preparing for it. You are very fortunate to be in this position and share your friends' envy. If you want to help them you can, but remember that you are where you are because you wanted to be.

6. Hrantou

That's a tough one. I know at my school knowing everyone else's schedule like your own was normal. But we were small.

Anyway, I would suggest just not telling them. Stand your ground, don't bring it up, don't mention it, don't talk about the work and if they ask just say "no" and keep it at that. You got it, they don't, and they don't need to know. Its a secret, keep it that way.

I do have to wonder what got you in that if they found out would get you kicked out...:confused: Its like education mafia hahahah.

Good luck :thumbsup:

7. Ritor365

I'd say keep it to yourself. Do not speak about it, try to keep it as far out of conversation as possible, and, if people do begin to get a bit too nosey, talk to a teacher and explain the entire situation so they can offer advice, and at least see that you are trying to work with them.

8. SecretlyASloth

The entire school district's attitude is to not let special cases in general. When I visited the counseling office and asked about they were extremely rude, refusing to even talk to me about it, until I told them that I was recommended to do it by their boss (Principal of instruction). It really stinks.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 02:02 PM ----------

Do you guys think though that I'm selfish for not wanting to openly share? That's how it was when I skipped a grade in math and it really got me depressed.

Thanks for all your advice, though, it helps.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If asked, shrug and say "Beats me - you'll have to ask them how I ended up in this class." And stick with that answer like flypaper.

Lex

10. FreeFlow9917

A freshman at my school took trigonometry, and a freshman paid 20 bucks in order to take a practice ACT somewhere