1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little horrified

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SecretlyASloth, Jul 30, 2013.

1. SecretlyASloth

So as you may or may not know another LGBT Teen committed suicide.
    When my friend told me about it, all I could say was "another one?"
    I almost feel shame for saying that, but it says a lot about tragedies that are a lot more common than we think.
    You can read the huffington post article here: Gay Iowa Teen Commits Suicide, Was Allegedly Bullied By Classmates

I don't know what I'm feeling right now, but it just feels almost like I'm sad, but angry. I feel almost vengeful, I feel so....vindictive at the bullies.
    I mean, what happens to the bullies after things like this happen?

I hope for their sake they walk away realizing what they did cost a life. But then I feel like there are cases where they just walk away.

What do you guys do to cope with this kind of knowledge. I don't know why myself this news in particular got to me, but I just seriously feel like ranting about how horrific this situation is.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that it happens, or the fact that some of our political leaders advocate for the bullying that leads to this.
    Sorry if this rant is random. *whew* just had to say something

2. FreeFlow9917

Idk, that is why im closteted now, i feel like if i came out, i'd be tormented, since their aren't many gay people at my school

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

Or that i know of in life

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of many reasons I kind of don't want to come out to the class I teach. Clearly, a teacher wouldn't commit suicide. Kids can be so harsh these days to their own classmates, to teachers, to anyone...

4. CuriousBunny

I actually sorta want to come out so I can punch someone if they mess with me o:

5. A Madd Nobody

Oh my. your my hero.:thumbsup:

Uh, well i came out this year to pretty much. Everyone. And asides from the friendly joking, people sorta just leave me be ( there was this one time in english where during a public discussion a kid from my drama class raised his hand and said, "on a scale from one to forty how homosexual is -my name here-. Everyone was shocked and defensive, and i just laughed my head off) people in my school arent all that activly homophobic. Sure the lockerhall was full of colorful language and accusations, but besides that not much happens. Maybe im just around the right people.

6. UndercoverGypsy

Haha, same, but I probably wouldn't do it. Pacifism is too much fun.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 07:10 PM ----------

It would be awesome to have a gay teacher, though...

7. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The sad reality is that LGBT teens are 3x more likely to commit suicide then Straight teens. As demonstrated in that article, bullies pick on the LGBT for being different. They see these gay teen's as an easy target since sexuality currently is a big and controversial topic as well as words like "gay, faggot" and "homo" being used commonly as insults in today's society.

Gay's in a sense are becoming the "Blacks" of this generation, since change was required to give them equal right's as well as freedom. They were called horrible names, alienated by there peers and people hated them. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was change.. Change is inevitable, and eventually people are going to accept us; and be proud to call us there neighbor's, friends and family.

Until that day come's however, we all struggle today; and some (like the article) are not fortunate enough to see that light at the end of the tunnel.. There stuck in the dark and see no way out, feeling lost and afraid until they just can't handle it anymore. Those bullies caused someone to end there life, and they are going to have to live with that every day because of it. This poor boy who has done NOTHING to them, ended his life because people were so intolerant and so vulgar to someone just because they are different..

Thats honestly horrific and truly disgusting that these kid's couldn't hold there tongue. -and that poor 14 year old boy had such a wonderful life ahead of him.. Those boy's took that sweet little boy away from his family, friends and the world because they couldn't let him be himself. They took a face off this earth.

With all that said, I don't believe those boy's deserve a punishment; because I am sure that knowing that they killed someone would be enough punishment to last a lifetime.

8. UndercoverGypsy

Eloquent as fuck.

Luckily, fag usually isn't directed at gay guys (except with really intolerant people), and gay is usually used to refer to something that annoys someone as opposed to actual gays. It doesn't condone the words being used in a negative context, but it's something.

Honestly I find it kind of exciting to be part of a cultural minority that's looked down upon. It means that I can - in future - do my part to help with equality.

9. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I dont know 'bout all that eloquence but... :thumbsup:

Faggot is almost always used in a negative context (how can you use that in a positive one?) and the word 'Gay' can be used in a variety of contexts but as you said, usually in a way in which is condescending towards Gay people within the LGBT community.

-I however (call me a hypocrite) can't support equality YET, if my parent's found out I was gay (growing up in my extreme-christian family)... You get the picture.

However, when I gain the courage to come out; I am soooo looking foward to attending Pride Day! (*hug*)

10. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Your anger implies that you want to do something about it. If that is the case then just continue to be yourself, and spread the message of tolerance. Beyond that there is really not much you can do.

11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Argh, it's ridiculous. The problem is probably even worse than we realise as people among GSM could commit suicide without anyone knowing why and there are many suicides which seem completely and utterly random which could have something to do with this. I'm not sure about the numbers for other groups, but I do know that around 41% of transgender people will attempt suicide in their lifetime. Breaks my heart.

12. Islander

This makes me very very sad. But on the plus side, think about how many suicides EC has prevented, just by being there for members and even those who just read our posts. It has helped so many people through feelings of isolation - let's hope that it expands and continues to help these people. I look forward to the day when we no longer read articles like these in the papers.

13. UndercoverGypsy

Sorry, I might have been unclear. I wasn't saying that fag is ever positively used. I was saying that it's used more often by angry little kids on Xbox Live screaming at random people than anywhere else, which is better than it being used for targeted attacks on gays.

As for the pride day thing, ohmygodIcan'tfuckingwait.

14. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I realllllllllyyyyyy want to go so bad, but I am trapped in the closet! D:

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not doubting that, it is awesome to have an openly gay teacher, but there's just something that I am quite hesitant about but hopefully that won't matter :slight_smile: