1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapping (Rant)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MerBear

I hate when people start snapping their fingers during a performance or presentation, it drives me absolutely nuts. This should apply to clapping, do it AFTER the performance but regardless why are you "snapping?" ...what is that? like a confidence boost? it annoys the living hell out of me.

Please, tell me i'm not alone

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was an orchestra kid, so we didn't do the clapping thing. It was once at intermission, once at the end of the concert.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This annoys me too to no end since I was an orchestra and choir kid. Any sort of clapping, snapping or anything of the like should be held til the end. I can see where people that clap/snap between songs are coming from though as sometimes there's a brief break and if you're not used to seeing a performance then you don't know what to do.

I hold off til intermission then end.

4. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could imagine it annoying but that how some people get into things. Unless you mean snapping as in come over here that a bit patronizing.

5. FJ Cruiser

It only makes sense in the context of poetry slams.

6. MerBear

that's actually where it came from but how? like what does it represent? like...i mean, i did poetry...in front of people and they snapped as well and I just don't get it....

7. FJ Cruiser

Poetry slams are just as much about the audience's enjoyment as the art and artist, so audience participation (as long as it's something subtle like snapping or voicing pleasure and not overly distracting like clapping or yelling) is welcome whenever the poet says something profound or conveys profound emotion. Poetry snaps are basically a form of immediate feedback.

8. Night

Night Guest

To clarify, you do mean with poetry?

Because I think it has something to do with clapping being a bit aggressive, especially because poetry is usually pretty deep stuff and has a lot of emotion and thought into it... Snapping at the end is a little more "delicate" so it doesn't really ruin whatever emotion or mood the poet put the audience in.

I think being the main point in that sentence.

Or what FJ said, that too.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Snapping? There are performances where people snap instead of clap? I've honestly never experienced this, nor have heard of it until this point.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I agree that clapping should be held until the end. Even as an audience member, you could be missing something even greater while you were clapping. Kind of like those hilarious movies or shows where you have to pause the thing to stop laughing and continue to hear what's next... Except it's live.

10. MerBear

Yeah but like....can't that wait until AFTER your done? and honestly, I don't see how it boosts up your confidence but if it works for you the fine.

I don't like it because I can't hear what the person is saying and it's like a buzzing of a fly in your ear, its irritating. its worse than clapping

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2013 at 06:33 PM ----------

Snapping should apply to this too honestly. :dry: haha

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2013 at 06:35 PM ----------

yeah but a lot do it DURING their performance and it's just irritating

11. FreeFlow9917

It's quieter and doesn't echo as much as a clap, it's got a quieter sound but it gets more irritating

12. MerBear

yeah but its like a fly buzzing in your ear to me and honestly, I just think they should save it till the end.

I love when they hit a deep line and there's that raw silence in the air because you feel the intensity of the emotion, when they snap, it kills it for me