1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips to doing well in University

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by teluphone, Aug 1, 2013.

1. teluphone

Just wanted to see whether there are people here willing to share some tips. I know its different for everyone in terms of the preferential studying method

2. BudderMC

Honestly, I'm terrible at studying. If I knew how to study/had the willpower to do so, I'd be a model student. It is literally the one thing I really can't do school-wise. For me, I find that teaching concepts works really well, though it depends on the class. For a really theoretical science-based class, I go study with friends, but do it in such a way that we divvy up the lectures and teach them to each other. It takes a long time, but it's effective. Similarly, if I'm studying by myself, I try and condense my notes in such a way that I can read these barebone notes and still be able to explain everything that I learned.

Test out different methods though - different things work better for different people. Otherwise, good things to keep in mind:

1) Keep a regular (and healthy) sleep schedule at all times. Instead of using staying up late to finish assignments/study as a viable option, consider it a last resort. A prof of mine once told me "Would you rather stay up all night and know 90% of the material but only be able to produce 50% since you're exhausted, or go to bed knowing 70% of the material but produce 100% since you're rested?". That one always puts it into perspective for me.

2) Keep a healthy diet/avoid caffeine. Honestly, eat and sleep regularly and you'll have no need for caffeine. It's not that complicated, though harder to stop once you start (like any drug).

3) Make time for fun. Whether that means half an hour breaks every hour or two while doing work, or making sure you stop by 9pm so you can relax at the end of the night, make sure you don't overwork yourself. It's a good reward. Social activities are also a great option - hang out with friends, join clubs, etc.

4) Get outside. Fresh air is amazing, no doubt about it. Similarly, get off your computer/electronics every once in a while - it strains your eyes looking at them for too long.

5) Attend class. It's easy to justify missing a 1-hour lecture when it's at 8:30am and you're tired, but force yourself to go. Even if you're basically dead in class, you'll learn more by sitting there than you will by sleeping. You're paying for the class time, you might as well use it.

6) Know when (and don't be afraid) to ask for help. Professors are generally willing to answer questions, the people sitting next to you in lecture probably won't mind helping if you miss something they said, your TAs are (supposed to be) paid to help you understand course material, and your peers are a valuable study resource. Additionally, ask for help around your health (mental, physical, emotional, etc.) when you need it. Your school probably has some sort of counselling services in place to help you succeed.

7) Be creative. This one is big for me at least, since I'm an engineering student. But I find if I'm sitting and doing math problems or thermodynamics assignments that I get really bored and really stagnant in my thinking patterns. I'm also into photography, so going out to take some pictures helps get me thinking creatively again - it's a good way to tackle problems.

3. Donnerschlag

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One important rule. Never ever skip class. Once you've started it, its hard to take it out of your system.
    Ask when you don't understand. Especially college maths are so complicated.

4. Exstatic

Also, stick with the right people... the right people that will help you out through out your adventures in the university

5. Sorcerer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get laid and drink a lot. Worked for me.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some good lists and a few "interesting" takes.

My list:

1. Pick a university you like and pick a course of study you like. If you have a yin and yang issue with what you plan to study, consider adding a minor for that secondary or very diverse interest. It looks like, for some people on here, they would have enjoyed minoring in a language. My curriculum was very patterned with few electives, so I was not able to do so easily.

2. You're in Singapore and, if they grade differently in Canada, then I won't touch that one. At any rate, in the U.S., we have a GPA. If you start out lower or hit "sophomore slump," grades are harder to pick up because grade averages have a critical mass. I know that my grades, though good, do not reflect my true ability because the first 2 years put a slight dent in my GPA. Sometimes, we just can't control emotional issues or external issues with family events (sickness, etc.) as well as we'd like to. So, keep your grades up from the very beginning.

3. Be disciplined about time management from the very beginning. Attend your classes. If you can knock out some reading and the assignments right after class lets out, and you have a gap in your schedule, then do it instead of spinning your wheels. Also, I found that sitting up front made for better grades than sitting in the back. I think studies they've done bear that out.

4. Find spots in which the environment makes it good for you to study - a part of the library you like, a niche somewhere, or even a coffeehouse that's quiet and not rowdy. I had one part of the library in which I studied for at least 2 years.

5. Join clubs and make like-minded friends. I didn't do the club thing, but I did make a few friends I'm still friends with today. There tends to be a lot of variety in club offerings and the ones where people have a common interest are not only fun, but a place to make friends.

6. Slot in free time and fun time. Sometimes it'll just happen spontaneously and it'll be too good to pass up, unless you have an exam the following morning. At other times, just block out the fun time - like saving Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings as "no study" time frames.

7. Do not cave in to use of drugs, alcohol, or tending to your sexual needs TOO much. They can become big distractions from doing well in a university setting and people who aren't doing that are the ones doing well, for the most part. If you are experiencing stress over emotional issues, seek counseling and a support system. I had a rough time my first 2 years and did not do so, and it showed in how much time I wasted and in my grades. College/university can be real trying on so many levels and a time of discovery, so some emotional upheaval is to be expected. However, everyone should seek out whatever support is necessary so they can fare well.

I think that's enough. I can go on. What an experience. I received an excellent education but, to this day, I would have done it differently - both the university and the course of study. Good luck and have fun.

7. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

In spite of my GPA, I'm far from a model student, so I guess you should take my advice with a grain of salt.

I've found that going to class is usually better than not going, but there are exceptions. I had one physics class last semester in which the lectures were more or less useless. So instead of going to class, I would often use the time to work through the homework with the help of the textbook, other students, and the notes the teacher posted online (the only thing I ever got out of the lectures were equations, which I could get by just reading the notes). Don't skip classes that you can't get the material for elsewhere, that grade on attendance, or that have otherwise valuable lectures (e.g. the professor is extremely good at teaching).

Also, build a social support network. I cannot stress this enough. As others have pointed out, no matter how good a student you are, there is the possibility of something bad happening that is outside of your control, causing academics to become much more difficult. Having people you can fall back on for help is invaluable at such times.

Lastly, I know that in the STEM fields, at least, things like research and internships are almost as important as GPA. Back when I was a physics major, I had multiple people further along in their education than me say that whether or not someone had done research as an undergraduate was among the deciding factors on whether they got into grad school. In computer science, internships are key to getting a job upon graduation. Obviously you still need to have a decent GPA in either case, but actual experience in your field will give you an advantage.

8. Harve

don't touch alcohol it's the spawn of satan and a single drop WILL cast you down into the depths of hell and ruin ur life 4ever!!!1!

Nah, I have no idea. I'll get back to you in four years, when I'm done.

9. AKTodd

Don't try to party with the upperclassmen. Meaning don't try to hang out/goof off with them every time you see them hanging out or goofing off. They are more experienced then you at managing the workload and time requirements and have already figured out how to balance getting everything done and playing around even if you don't necessarily see them doing it.

By your second or third year you'll have figured it out too and may be amazed how easy it is to manage your time. But you need to build up to it.

Todd

10. FJ Cruiser

1. Go to class
    2. Go to class
    3. Go to the tutorial sections as well
    4. Do the necessary work outside class
    5. Take advantage of all the free academic resources available
    6. Go to class

Seriously, even if they're terrible professors, they practically do the studying for you if you just actually try to listen and understand what they say. With new freedom, it may be tempting to skip class, but don't, just don't. You can get away with it, but it saves you so much effort to just go to the classes and tutorials that you're paying for.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be your own professor, and assume the test is tomorrow (unless it's today :eek:slight_smile:. Everything else will likely take care of itself if you can manage the responsibility of taking learning into your own hands.

^^Not to argue with what FJ is saying, but in my own experience, just going to class can be slightly overrated. Don't get me wrong; it's good and the primary way of getting information. I found that I couldn't lean totally on going to class to do well on tests and projects, though. Independent study is still HUGELY important.

12. justjade

Do something I didn't do at community college:

Go to class! Then you have the opportunity to ask the teacher questions about things you don't understand. Even if the teacher doesn't have an attendance policy, just showing up whenever possible can go a long way.

You may be tempted to skip, but don't let things like social situations get in the way. And make sure you keep your work up. If you don't, there will be hell to pay.

This is a miscellaneous tip, but don't buy school t-shirts from the bookstore. You'll get plenty of free ones at events.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Avoid World of Warcraft.

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people already mentioned the most important tips, but I'll mention them again.

1. Work your ass off. And then work your ass off some more. This may seem like an obvious tip, but I see so many lazy college students who still think they're in high school. I'm a tutor for my university and I've had many students who come in that miss days of classes, don't read the textbook or do any homework and expect me to do everything for them. Don't be one of those students.

2. Attend every class possible. I think this is probably the most important tip to being successful in school. If you don't attend class regularly, you're really going to struggle (especially if your professor deducts grades for poor attendance). Period.

3. Buy the textbook for every class and read it. Another obvious but important tip. If you don't read the textbook BEFORE your class, you're going to be completely lost during the lecture. I found this out quickly. For me, I read half a chapter (or less, depending how large it is) and then take a five minute break. It's really difficult to read a whole chapter at once and still comprehend everything you've just read. Plus, you can ask more questions and it'll be easier to pay attention in class if you read the book first. And this brings me to my next tip...

4. Pay attention in class. It's unreal how many students I've seen who attend class physically but are on a completely different planet mentally. If you're just there but aren't really listening, you're going to miss important points from your professor. If you're not gonna pay attention, you might as well not even waste your time and just stay home.

5. Take good notes. I find it hilarious when some people show up to class and have absolutely nothing with them to take notes, and they're often the ones who are completely lost when it's time to start studying for exams. You probably aren't Superman and can't remember every important thing that comes out of your professor's mouth, so write it down.

6. Don't be one of those annoying suck-up students who asks the most ridiculously obvious and/or dumb questions. Seriously, this is beyond obnoxious.

Good luck!

15. Hiems

I definitely agree that pre-reading is useful. The syllabus usually lists the chapters that the professor will cover. Getting a headstart helps with following lecture, especially if you've never been exposed to the material before.

I find that taking notes while pre-reading helps. If it's a course like chemistry, sometimes I even do chapter practice problems and check answers to make sure that I'm understanding what's going on.

Other times, the textbook is not worth reading. That is of course contingent on your professor's lecturing abilities and how comfortable you are with the material. It's your discretion. For instance, I didn't need to read the textbook for math class b/c I found that the lecture was sufficient enough.

I second this. Ask yourself if the question is important enough to interrupt the lecture. To be safe, ask after the lecture is over or visit your professors' office so that their train of thought isn't lost by your possibly impertinent inquiry.

There was one obnoxious student in my organic chemistry class who seldom paid attention in class. I had seen him read comics and do other crap on his laptop, yet he still frequently asked pointless questions whose answers he would have known had he paid attention. Don't be "that guy" -_-

16. Ridiculous

My advise: don't take notes.
    Every lecturer is going to have their lecture slides available somewhere for you to view later. Don't be one of those people that writes down everything the lecturer says, because you'll miss the next two sentences while you are busy writing down the first.

Exceptions are if they do something spur-of-the-moment, like drawing a diagram on the board that you won't be able to access later.

17. BudderMC

^ I agree and disagree.

Taking notes of the exact same things on the lecture slides is pretty pointless if you can access them later.

On the other hand, if you can learn to take good, condensed notes, then it can be a really valuable tool.

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I partly agree with this.

It's good to write down the important stuff - not everything.

Haven't had too many professors who have made the slides available. I hate when professors talk straight from slides, though. But if they're used along with the professor adding things, they are helpful.

#18 Mike92, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  19. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because a professor has their slides located somewhere does not mean you do not need to take notes. Just because slides are put up somewhere doesn't mean every single thing will be on the slide. Also if your professor records the lecture using a service like Panopto (sp?) take advantage of the generosity. If they record the lecture, it is NOT an excuse to skip class.

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

Don't be a grade grubber. Don't ask a professor to repeat something unless it's a definition, statistic, actual word, or some other thing you find useful. Ask the professor if you can record the lecture. If they say yes, that is not an excuse to sleep or do other pointless shit. If the professor only allows a certain number of days to be missed, don't use those days all willy-nilly, save those days in case of an emergency. If you HAVE to miss, convey that to your professor to see what you will miss.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Professor with terrible lecturing skills story: I had to take a grammar class for my major last winter - "writing fundamentals" - and I had this old guy who was just terrible as a professor. He had to put zero effort into the class, literally. He would give us a handout every class that came with the book, and he would read off that and stuff from the book itself verbatim. The tests also came with the book and were 100-300 questions long. Brutal.

I could have taught that class.