1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poetry - advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Aug 1, 2013.

1. MerBear

I've had been writing poetry since 7th and last summer, I gave up on it because I wanted to let go of the past and I just sucked at it but I still have the inspirational moments where I want to write a poem and sometimes, i'll give in and write some shit down and end up hating it. I suck at poetry, absolutely suck at it but I'll come up with a good title to a poem and it will spark my attention but I won't do.

How do I stop feeling the need to write a poem since I suck at poetry and am trying to quit?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

[​IMG]

As a poet myself, I know the struggles of not being happy with your work. But you shouldn't react to that by wating to ditch your inspiration; you should react to that with a drive to keep going and getting better! Keep practicing and you will get better. Identify what you don't like about your poetry and actively work to improve it. I promise you, that will make you so much happier than trying to "quit poetry".

The great thing about poetry is that you can write it about whatever you like. If you have bad associations with poetry because of what you wrote about in the past, you can change what you write your poems about. You can write them about the present, or about the future you want to make. You can write them about whatever you like! There's no reason you have to use poetry to hold on to the past.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Motto is that Everyone can write poetry, as it is a form of expression & everyone has something to express, I write Poetry myself, it might not be like anything that Wordsworth, Shelly or Burns wrote, but it doesn't have to be, I can write a short Poem "I Am" it is only two words, but is an expression, it can be interpreted as being alive, where as a short Poem "I Am Not" could be interpreted as I am dead :slight_smile:

There is no such thing as Crap Poems, just thoughts on paper & if it helps you to put down your thoughts in the form of a Poem, then this is what you must do :slight_smile: (*hug*)

4. MerBear

Well, I wrote about my thoughts and emotions most of the time and After my mom died, it wasn't before long, I started writing poetry. I wrote my first poem on the back of my spanish notebook and I still have it and Didn't quit till last summer, They were about my past and I didn't want to keep them around so I burned them

That is the great thing about poetry but I hate it so much because I am never good at it :frowning2:

One thing, I don't like about my poetry is that it never makes sense, Like....I'm more of a person who likes to have a rhyme scheme but even then, it never makes sense, i have had other poets help me out because I still end up hating it.

5. lukeluvznicki13

it sounds like an addiction o.o

6. MerBear

hahaha, Nah.

I use to have really bad writers block. it's just sometimes, I'll think of something ....and it becomes an instant idea for a title of a poem then I'll think of what I want to write down but I'll stop myself from writing anything down because I remind myself, that I hate it and I suck at it

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fun of poetry is in the rhythm, choice of words, structure and "sound" of words, then over-layered with the meaning, and the sequence of meaning in the words themselves.

Complex thing, a poem, and why good ones are so rare...which doesn't mean you should give up trying!

8. MerBear

well doesn't help me hahaha. My ex is really good at poetry. I watched a video of her at this poetry slam and she was really good.

But your right....but at the same time, I just feel like I should....I suck at it and i always end up hating my poems, even the ones, i posted in my blogs here

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The trick, I think, is not just to write stream-of-consciousness stuff, but to focus on a very specific image, it can be as specific, for example, as the next-to-last red brick on the corner of that building there.

Try something similar, there are a thousand things that can be said about that brick...

10. MerBear

yEAH but this is why i hate it. because I suck at it. You can tell me advice on how to make a decent poem and i'll fuck it up. I dont even know why I still try it.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just turn off the critic...Negotiate a finite period of time with yourself to just turn it off. You needn't share it with anyone. And if you still aren't satisfied, just...stare at it... without thinking in categories of good or bad...then put it aside for a while; an idea may pop into your head at any moment thereafter that suddenly solves the problem!

You're still trying it because you love poetry and because you know somewhere deep inside yourself that there is something needing expression. For now you are choosing the medium of words. But there's always drawing, singing...there are many ways to express that which can't be expressed merely in words.

12. MerBear

Yeah, I mean....I suck at drawing and I Draw sometimes.

Poetry has always been there first in line. I did it right after my mom died which is funny because I never ever wrote poetry before she died.

I do love poetry, its just....I hate that i suck at it.

I sometimes, do stare at it but when i read it, it makes me sick to my stomach.
    My ex said a friend of her's went on my blog and read my poem
    "Black hair and red lipstick" ....I posted that here as well and Her friend loved it which i really do appreciate it but I still look at that poem and hate it

13. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely know what you mean...it happens to me but with songs. I used to be a song writer and a really good one. A couple years ago and quit it because of writers block and I haven't written since. But every once in a while, I'll come up with a title or a verse or start humming a good tune. It drives me crazy. I wish I could tell you how to overcome it but I honestly have no idea :/ just know you're not alone!

14. MerBear

yay! not alone :grin: except you were good hahaha

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel the urge to write, write! If you think it sucks, edit it until it doesn't. If you think it's so terrible that it's beyond saving, delete it and start over with some new ideas.

I've been told I'm good. I still feel that I suck, but feel compelled to write even meaningless garbage because my brain will not leave me alone. The written word is a beautiful art form and the only prerequisite to mastery is passion. The rest will come. :slight_smile:

16. MerBear

Yeah, I hate complientating

17. UndercoverGypsy

Hmm, I should try poetry. It makes for good lyrics. Difficult as hell, though.