1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Straight Edge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

As its kinda obvious I am into Pop-Punk and Hardcore stuff and well I like the culture and the like. One thing I am thinking of is going Straight Edge. I used to be Straight Edge but the depression got the better of me, and I started smoking and drinking again and I feel bad for it.

I am tempted to kick it all again, and be healthier. I don't need that stuff do I

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sXe for life yo

3. Hexagon

I used to be. For three years. Then I had some cider. Its great if you are... but personally, the reasons for my doing it were fear about revealing too much of myself when drunk, and honestly, I need to get past my trust and intimacy issues. I'll probably never be much for drinking, and I'll never smoke, but I'd like to be able to drink occasionally.

Apparently a small amount of alcohol is healthy, as in, more healthy than not having it, but then it becomes unhealthy if you have much more.

4. FreeFlow9917

All i'm thinking is CM Punk from WWE, he is a wrestler who doesn't use drugs or drinking or smoking to improve his wrestling and he wears X's on his wrist tape to indicate he's straight edge. I know it may be a gimmick or some other staged shit, but i know that he is sending a good message to kids that you can succeed withou a performance enhancer

No you don't need alcohol and smoking, i know what depression feels like, it's when you're always fucking sad when everything is going swift. You don't have to stop, you just need to control how much of it you do, just because you're depressed doesn't mean turning to alcohol. Don't go cold turkey though, just slow the amount of how much you drink and how much you smoke, and you'll be as healthy as Hayley Williams.

And no, you don't need that shit now do you?

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been really drunk and smoked a hookah at the same time. I was really relaxed, but I can't say I'd want to make a habit out of either. You could call me straight-edge, and it's working great for me so far. I don't need to do "bad" or other unhealthy things to enjoy life. It might not be that way for everybody, but it's plenty possible to find both passion and relaxation while 100% sober.

6. Badaxe

I've got wayyy too much anxiety for that. I need my occasional Xanax and alcohol to keep me sane and capable of existing in public without almost passing out from a panic attack. Straight-edge is great if it works for you, as long as you don't get on other people's cases who need to occasionally use some form of medication to get by in life. Just don't get a superiority complex about it like a lot of people do. It doesn't necessarily make someone "unhealthy" if they occasionally use medication if it's helping their mental health, as long as responsibility is involved. I just can't stand when straight-edge people preach to me about how unhealthy my "pill-popping" is, when in reality it's what's keeping me healthy and alive. Moderation is key.

That's the only qualm I have with some straight-edge folks. They act like they're all superior for "not needing drugs to enjoy life". Like, good for you, just don't shit on those of us who are just trying to get by in the best way we can. And drugs can be fun if you aren't a dumbass.

7. Beware Of You

I don't like drinking really, Beer tastes like nothing, Wine is horrible, and vodka etc. are just vile to me. I only drink because others drink and I feel like a dumbass otherwise. I don't even like gay bars I just find them boring and full of the type of people I don't want (the type who objectify me as a bottom and thats it)

Smoking was different, I smoke because the nicotine calms me down, I don't care about the hazards even though I should.

I don't care about what others think about drugs, I have tried them and regret going anywhere near the things. Even legal ones, I was once put on antidepressants and well I stopped taking them, they are horrible things, made me feel fake , in the end I got a therapist who is actually solving the problem not covering it up with pills.

If other people want to take them its not my place is it.

8. Jonathan

I personally think that it is all up the individual. If you want to be straight edge, all the better for you. If others find no problems with drinking and smoking, good for them. I think we should all respect each other's decisions and not judge one way or the other.