1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Circumcision

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ScatteredEarth, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ScatteredEarth

So, recently I have had a change of heart with where I stand on the issue of parents circumcising their children at birth or similar young age. I feel that it should be up to the child to decide if he wants this procedure done to him when he's able to consent himself.

I know that most people who live in the US have mixed feelings about the issue, whereas more of those in Europe have a pretty strong consensus on the matter.

What are your thoughts on circumcision at a birth?.. And to keep things interesting, what are your opinions on circumcised and uncircumcised males in general?

2. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I definitely think it should be up to the person, I mean it's his body. You wouldn't as a parent decide that your child is gonna get a tattoo (I know it's illegal but that's beside the point). I just don't parents should be able to touch that area and do something that will possibly affect the rest of his life!

I just noticed the other half of your question but I have no opinion on circumcised or uncircumcised, never been with a guy *sigh*

#2 Matty1994, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Hexagon

I'm opposed to non-medically necessary circumcision at birth because it violates the child's right to bodily integrity. As adults, people can do whatever they want with their bodies, and I couldn't care less. That parents think they have the right to do this is terrible, another example of how they seem to think they own their child.

I don't mind whether a guy is circumcised or not. I'm not about to judge anyone for something done to them at birth without their consent.

#3 Hexagon, Aug 2, 2013
  4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this, as well as the deaths caused by circumcision

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I agree with most people posted here, it is wrong to do it mostly because it is pointless.

6. Abbra

I think it should be the child's choice. Both circumcision and natural have their upsides, but I think it's only fair to let a person hear them both and decide for themselves.

7. Hexagon

Yes. But even if that were not the case, I'd still oppose it. The rights of the child are being violated every time, not just when they die.

Not that, I suspect, you disagree or anything.

#7 Hexagon, Aug 2, 2013
  8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd totally let my kid decide when he was old enough to.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, I think it is down to the child, if they want it done when they are an adult, as it is their body & their decision alone, a parent should only make the decision on their behalf, if it is for Medical Reasons only, I am uncircumcised myself & would have been upset, if I would have been circumcised for any other reason than a very tight Foreskin.

I would have a relationship with both a Circumcised & Uncircumcised Man, this would be a very important question to ask normally, but from previous times that this question was asked, it touches a raw nerve & turns into a Flame War & ends up being closed down.

10. Northern

Should be the child's choice in my opinion, I mean I wouldn't choose for my child. It's not my privates so why am I making the decision?

As for opinion I am holding the "V card" so ain't got no preference yet xD

11. LinkLarkin

Like others have said, and many others surely believe, it should be entirely the rights of the child unless it is necessary. Parents get to force enough mental viewpoints on their unwitting children without doing it to their bodies as well. And think of how hysterical some parents get when their child gets a piercing, despite how much that pales in comparison to chopping off part of their penis!

This reminds me of a funny meme I saw not too long ago in criticism of religious circumcision which stated that: "If we are created in God's image, who circumcised God?" Just made me laugh a little bit.

As for sexual preference, it really wouldn't be a deal maker or breaker for me. I perhaps have a slight preference for uncircumcised, because living in the UK that's what I've been mostly exposed to and grown accustomed to, but when I say slight I really do mean something like a 45/55 split.

12. BornInTexas

I think it should be up to the child whether they want to be circumcised, except when it is necessary to remove. Even then, I think they can reconstruct it later, if they wanted it?

I have no preference over a circumcised penis and an uncircumcised penis.

13. Femmeme

I'm opposed to forcing cosmetic surgery on newborns. It's just wrong.

14. ScatteredEarth

You can restore your foreskin, but it takes anywhere from 4 months to 3 years.. Sometimes even 6. I have a preference for the uncircumcised. It looks more natural :3

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It has its pros and cons.

Pros:
    - easier for hygienic purposes and harder for smegma to accumulate under the foreskin
    - some parents follow the reasoning that it is the local custom

Cons:
    - the child is not given a choice
    - it can reduce sensitivity in the glans
    - the procedure can be botched, though that is rare

Adolescents and adults are sometimes advised by their physician to have it done because of foreskin that does not retract easily (interesting term I forgot) or because of difficulties with infections or hygiene. For the few I've known who have done that, I don't think they can get an erection until the stitches come out or dissolve. Some people have chosen to do it of their own volition.

It's more of a hot potato now. Decades earlier, baby boys born in the U.S. tended to get clipped as a matter of course.

16. Diego89

It's called phimosis. Not cool let me tell you!

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom has said she regrets having me and my brother circumcised, because "Babies scream bloody murder when they do that."

18. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that infant male circumcision is a disgusting act that should be abolished. If men want to get circumcised later in life, fine, it's their life, their business, but as an infant against their will? No.

I don't have a preference when it comes to circumcised/uncircumcised men.

19. ArcaneVerse

^this.

You can attempt to recreate the look but you wont be able to restore it. With circumcision you end up cutting of a lot of nerve endings etc. and the skin doesnt end up with the same functionality from what i know, anyways it rarely looks right IMO.

20. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's the parents' kid, they can do whatever they want, unless its illegal.