1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To you, what was the most tragic celebrity death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

We all know that celebrities are not like us. They are rich, famous, powerful. All of these qualities, exagerated by the media, tend to distance the fan from the idol all the time. Howeve, once in a while, there comes someone who gets famous through acting, music, sports, etc, who actually connects with us. We like him or her more than as just entertaiment, and can resonate with the words that echo through the tv screen. I wasn't alive, or too young to know them, when the following people died. But if I had gotten to see them in life, I think I would have cried.

Audrey Hepburn: I think you all knew this lady. She was beautiful, but in Hollywood, almost everyone is. But she had something that differenciated her from her co-stars. She had class, charm, always smiled, and exhilariated sympathy. Towards the end of her life, she even did her best to help refugees in Africa, and wept on an interview about her work. In 1992, two years before I was born, she was diagnosed with cancer, and had absolutely NO chance to survive. It was already too late, there was nothing that could be done to save her. She was sent back to her native home , in switzerland, to die with her family, and did not last even a month. The world wept, and I think I would have done it as well. If I ever go to switzerland one day, Ill put a flower on her grave.

Gilda Radner: Few people from my generation know about this comedienne, because she died young. She was from Saturday Night Live, and I would also not known her if it wasnt for this article on a website about celebrity deaths. It was written by a man who was a fan of hers all of his life. Here it is, and please read until the end:

The Death of Gilda Radner

I dare you not to cry. Really, I do.

There are some others, but this post is already too long. I think this thread will soon become a major tearjerker...

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heath Ledger, he was such a good Joker.

3. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Elvis Presely's death is always the celebrity death that has stood out in my mind.

I was 8 years old at the time and I just remember the general feeling of saddness and disbelief at the time.

John Lennon is another.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anyone that dies Young!

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Princess Diana, in a 3-way tie with JFK and Bobby Kennedy.

6. MerBear

Diana, princess of wales ....i dont think she's a celebrity....but She was well known and famous i guess.

Ahh, you beat me to it!

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have two.

1. Michael Jackson. Yeah I know, but he was a legend and an icon of pop music and put out so many good songs.

2. Randy Rhodes. He was such a young guy and he was just such an amazing guitarist. I mean it's so tragic because if he were still alive he'd be a legendary guitarist. So much potential died with him and it's really such a shame. :frowning2:

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She was once, the most photographed Woman in the World!

9. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Gene Roddenberry.

10. MerBear

she was beautiful haha but interesting fact!

11. LinkLarkin

Marilyn Monroe. The circumstances were tragic.

Also Natasha Richardson. Because her death wasn't to do with succumbing to drugs and alcohol like so many others are, it was just a freak accident that couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Princess Diana.. I actually cried when I heard it, and I barely knew who she was.

13. FreeFlow9917

Heath Ledger

14. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    None?
    They are all total pricks, rarely a nice person on the inside.

15. GingerGuy

I think the worst cases are when they couldnt have avoided it, such as accidents or cancer. And even if someone dies from old age, their death will still be shocking if he or she is loved by many people. Nelson Mandela, for example.

Allen Ginsberg isnt a very well know poet (most people only learn Howl in school), but he was a gay hero, and by all accounts a wonderful poet and person. He died at te age of 70 in 1997, surrounded by friends. Ill give a transcript from wikipedia:

"After returning home from the hospital for the last time, where he had been unsuccessfully treated for congestive heart failure, Ginsberg continued making phone calls to say goodbye to his friends and was determined to call nearly everyone in his addressbook. Some of the phone calls, including one with Johnny Depp, were sad and interrupted by crying, while other were joyous and optimistic.[57]

With the exception of a special guest appearance at the NYU Poetry Slam on February 20, 1997, Ginsberg gave what is thought to be his last reading at The Booksmith in San Francisco on December 16, 1996. He died April 5, 1997, surrounded by family and friends in his East Village loft in New York City, succumbing to liver cancer via complications of hepatitis. He was 70 years old.[18] Ginsberg continued to write through his final illness, with his last poem, "Things I'll Not Do (Nostalgias)", written on March 30.[58]

In the beginning of April, Ginsberg was told by doctors that he did not have much time left, and on the eve of his death, a dozen of his close friends and old lovers decided to sleep overnight in his apartment. Around 2:30 in the morning on April 5, 1997, he began to breathe heavily and laboured in his sleep, awaking his guests. Dr. Joel Gaidemak, Ginsberg's cousin, examined him and said that the end was close; a few moments later he stopped breathing. He died ten years and one day after the death of his teacher Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Gehlek Rinpoche, Ginsberg's guru after the death of Chogyam, had given Peter Hale something to touch to Ginsberg's lips to symbolize his last earthly meal. His body convulsed and he was dead. Gehlek, together with senior Buddhist practitioners, chanted for hours on end after his death. Gehlek explained that they were reiterating lessons Allen Ginsberg had learned in this life, and teaching him new ones he might need in the new state that would follow. After approximately 18 hours, Gehlek pronounced that Ginsberg's "spirit" had left his body."

This is really heartbreaking. Even the spiritual part at the end.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cory Monteith's death was pretty tragic.

17. biggayguy

James Dean; He died very young.

18. onebignothing

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Michael Jackson is still mine. One of my favorite entertainers and an icon. Timeless music. Tragic life and died too soon, really.

19. UndercoverGypsy

Don't worry, Rhoads is totally legendary to this day!

For me, MCA. It was just last year, but it was depressing as hell. The Beasties were amazing.

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cory Monteith