1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What flowers would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 2, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This weekend, I'm going to visit my grandfather's grave for the first time in like 6 years. I'm not proud of it having been that long, but I'm wondering what type of flowers I should lay on his grave. Any suggestions?

2. biggayguy

Daisies or lilies seem to be popular. Roses if you have the money.

3. LD579

It depends. Do you want flowers that last long, flowers that mean something to you, personally, or flowers that mean something to him? Or do you just want nice but not too expensive flowers? Those are some things to consider. Google can help you with the rest.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to lay flowers while I'm there. On second thought, I think maybe I'll split them up and lay some on not only his, but my great-grandma's and great-grandpa's graves. Do you just lay them in front of the headstone, or do you actually plant them?

5. LD579

If there's a vase or something similar next to or near the grave, you can put them there. Otherwise, laying them at the foot of or on top of the grave should be fine, as well. I don't think you'd be allowed to plant them... On a side note: remove any plastic wraps or anything that ties to the flowers as animals might eat them, or they might get blown away and cause trash.

With that said, I think it's great you're doing this.

EDIT: Crying is healthy. It's a good way to release emotions and such... If you do end up crying, it just shows that you care. Of course, people who don't cry can still care, but I hope you get what I mean. At any rate, I'm sorry for your loss, though it was a while back.

#5 LD579, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (sigh) I was a devastated 10-year-old when my grandfather died, my great-grandfather died 6 years before I was born and my great-grandmother lived 18 years after losing her husband before she finally passed away at age 95 when I was 12. The last time I went to see my grandfather's grave was three days after my great-grandma was buried, and that was a loooong time ago. This is just one of those things I'm trying to get out of the way before I move away. Sure hope I can get through this without crying.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The supermarket floral section usually has pre-made bouquets and those who work there are usually good at giving advice. I've gone in for this purpose and the ladies who work in supermarket/floral have always helped me make good selections.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't believe it. Kroger had roses on sale for $2.99 a dozen, so I bought two dozen. When I got to the cemetery, I looked and looked and couldn't find the grave, so I ended up calling my grandma to ask where it is, and she couldn't figure out where I was, so she drove up there to take me to the graves. I had hoped to be alone in case I had to cry.

When I finally found it, I took one rose and laid it on the grave in front of my grandfather's, because she was a 13-year-old girl who died of cancer 4 months after my grandfather died.

I wouldn't have known that my great-grandparents are buried in a different part of the cemetery. I wanted some time alone with them, so I'll have to go again sometime this week now that I know where their graves are.