1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America's Next Top Model (and Heterosexuals)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Gen

Gen

This thread is a bit of a combo, because its both about the show and those who watch it as well as a related point that I wanted to bring up.

So for those who haven't watched the show, this season is its first Co-ed seasons giving male models an opportunity to compete. My issue is how much the heterosexual members(Around 70% of the competitors) are so extremely sex-crazed that its a bit confusing as to whether they are actually there to compete or hook up.

This isn't so much as an issue with the show specifically, rather more of an observation of common dynamics in competition and careers in general. I feel that, despite being portrayed as hyper sexual individuals, LGBTQ members tend to be a lot more responsible in regards to understand the appropriate places for relationships and sexualization when it comes to their school, work, business, etc.

Lesbians as a whole tend to have much more tack and respect for boundaries far less instances of sexual misconduct or relationships in the workplace or business. Gay men have been taking the lead in regards to education and financial success. I'm sure our transgender individuals are just as wonderful, and we will probably be able to see that in the near future, as they have dealt with more obvious struggles in regard to being hired and supported in society throughout their transition.

I suppose this is just random food for thought. I've just been thinking about this, because even on this show in particular there has been tons of lesbians, but have ultimately all be very professional and serious about being in a competition. We see this in basically every reality show; the LGBTQ individuals tend to be much more competitive and serious.

I was just wondering what all of your thoughts were. They don't have to be in regards to the show as it was mainly just my basis, although you are perfectly welcome to talk about it if you are follow it.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it´s partly because the hetero people had it more easy throughout and when it comes to sex. If a handsome guy walks into a room, girls assume he is straight and will hit on him and let him hit on them.
    If they were to find out he was gay, things are quite different. Most girls can´t be bothered to even talk to him and those who do, might just want him as a friend as a novelty...
    Guys will be scared he will hit on them and kind of avoid him. Some might even hate gays and let him know. Nasty remarks will be made. He might be lucky to meet someone who doesn´t care or even a gay person, who he might be able to hook (if it is someone who he likes, and having less choice, that chance is smaller). In general, it is DIFFERENT.
    So the self esteem of the hetero guy grows where as that of many gays shrink.
    That makes them more humble, more willing to take orders and trying to be the best at what they do, cause that is what matters to them as " the others" are a bit tricky.

Just a theory.

I must add that my boyfriend was a model and totall slut... It´s not that gays are automatically all "better" or less sex driven....
    If he´d been on ANTM he would have probably would have had sex with a lot of those involved and most competitors gay and straight.:lol:

#2 Boyfriend, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. AKTodd

Bear in mind that 'reality' shows are very heavily staged and edited. If the producers thought that they could get sufficiently improved ratings and ad buys to offset the conservative outcry there would gay hookups being depicted as much or more than the straight ones.

Todd

4. Tim

Tim

It's reality TV 101.

When you put men and women in the same show, it becomes a matter of who is more likely to hook-up, and become more known by the world.

In this case, people don't care if they're known as the person who slept with everyone, so long as they're known.

Now, that's silly on ANTM, as you don't want your image tarnished as a model.

Honestly, I expect a few angry threads to pop up soon that Phil said "Let's be honest. I kissed something other than a girl." about his kissing partner being transgender.

5. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He definitely worded that poorly. She's a woman in my eyes and human above all. Not a "something".

Anyway, I'm really happy that the gay guys that are on the show are being respectful and mature. Yes, the did kiss but that was a runway challenge. As for the heterosexuals, if I were in their shoes, I don't give a shit how attractive the guys/girls are. I'm there to win. I'm surprised they even gave each other the time of day to flirt.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A woman is also something other than a girl and not a "something"... Just saying.

7. Gen

Gen

Of course, its a reality show. I rambled (Possibly incoherently ^_^) throughout this post so my point might have been a bit unclear. I wasn't saying America's Next Top Model should live to a higher standard, I was speaking towards a pattern that I noticed during the show.

I was pointing towards how heteorsexual super-sexualization is usually ignored and even encourage even when it is highly inappropriate.

Much of competition and realities shows are staged, but this was so sexualized and in your face, that I believe even the hetereosexual viewers were rolling their eyes. It was two hours with 110 minutes serving as a dating show.

8. justjade

You know, I've noticed this type of thing, too. I don't know what the agenda behind this pattern is (probably just higher ratings), but it is pretty ridiculous. I get pretty sick of the reality show drama anyway. I lost interest because of all the catty drama permeating the fabric of every episode. Some of the contestants are really immature and don't know when to shut their mouths. And of course, the show encourages this by having a private camera room where the contestants can talk shit about each other to no end. It kills me. Anyway, that went a little off topic. Continue.