1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plagiarism clarification?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MichaelB, Aug 4, 2013.

1. MichaelB

So, I've had a novel idea for about two years now (cringey, right? I'll probably never write it, but it's nice to have abstract dreams that might come true some day haha). I've planned the characters, story arc, motifs, messages, pretty much every detail except actually write the thing.

But I've recently read The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath and, while an amazing read, kinda shat on my ambitions for my (probably continual nonexistent) novel. Without giving away spoilers, the novel includes many themes that I wanted to include in mine, the plot itself is somewhat similar and Esther is virtually an older clone of what I planned my protagonist to be.

So should I ever write this novel, would that be counted as plagiarism and stealing Plath's work? Factoring in that I've had this novel idea since I was 16 and only bought the book a few weeks ago, so if it is indeed plagiarism, it was completely unintended.

So would someone be labial to be sued for plagiarism if it was unintended/what they thought was an original idea anyway? Or does that matter in the world of copyright?

#1 MichaelB, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. Fiddledeedee

For true legal advice, you're best off trying someone reputable IRL.

As it is, you'd have no way to prove it wasn't plagiarised, though I don't know what the consequences would be. You also have to consider whether people would be happy to read your novel since it's so similar to an existing one by an established author. Still, you can write it just for your own sake if you'd like. :slight_smile:

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you planning on publishing it and selling it?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are lots of stories that draw on the same themes, but with different characters, settings, etc.

If your story is truly a different story, with different twists, significantly different characters, etc., then it won't be plagiarism. You can't copyright an idea or concept. Just make sure that you don't borrow dialog or other language that's similar or identical.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless an absolute idiot would consider it a blatant ripoff, it's not plagiarism. Having the same ideas as somebody else is just fine. Will similarities hurt sales in a way directly proportional to Plath's success? Probably, but you won't get in trouble.

6. MichaelB

Ideally yeah, sure, but I doubt my writing will ever be publishing worthy haha.

Hmm, I guess the only real main connection is that my protagonist sounds almost identical to Esther. She even says something that, no lie, in my notes I already wrote down that my character would say. My character really seems like a younger, male version of Esther so I guess that would have to change.

Another thing is the continual theme of mental instability in The Bell Jar, and I wanted a similar sort of plot line. Would that still be too 'similar'? Mental illness is a huge subject though, so I'm hoping that factor won't have to change. ^^

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you'll be fine. Lots of books written around similar themes, with similar characters. As long as it's a theme, and not a plot, that you're emulating, then it's fine.